Game of Thrones coins

The Balon Greyjoy copper Star is now finished! I struck 530 of them in 9 grams of pure copper. Joe Paonessa did a fabulous job on the engraving on this one... with the incuse inscription ring emulating the British 1790 "Cartwheel" pennies of Matthew Boulton. The modeling on the portrait of Balon is very nice, and the Reaver ship in full sail on reverse is gorgeous.

In other news, Dave Peters (engraver of the Tommen III Lannister silver moon) has elected to do further work on the master dies, meaning that the 70 coins that exist are all of this type-1 coin that there can ever be. There will be a type-2 with significant differences. He is also starting work on a Tommen II version which will feature the legendary sword "Brightroar".

Have fun!

Tom Maringer

We are talking about the idea of dragons. The current idea is that some limited number would be made in real gold for those who can afford it... then the dies would be altered in a permanent yet subtle fashion, and we would continue to produce the coin in brass such that ordinary people could afford it. I have never liked the idea of gold plating and want to be certain that the base-metal version can never be offered as genuine gold.

There is a Lannister silver moon now at the online store... and the Iron Islands copper star is also there now... with the Reaver ship on reverse. I just finished the 5th pressing of the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man. The dies are beginning to show some wear (after 3,600 strikes) and so there are new dies in the process aiming for a type 2. The entire obverse and the center of the reverse have been cloned for the new die, so those features will be almost exactly the same, but the inscription band on reverse will be redone for the new one with a more modernized spelling and more stylized "strange" characters.

Have fun!

Tom

• 2 months later...

I read you loud and clear! The problem is mostly centered about the very high (and volatile) price of the gold metal and how to finance the project. George has decided that it will be a 1/2 troy ounce coin... so about the size of a US ten dollar gold piece.

Obviously the reverse side will have a dragon... but we do not yet have a decision on the king that will grace the obverse. There are quite a few suitable choices. Perhaps a poll would be in order.

Possibly a subscription arrangement might work, sort of like a kickstarter. Get pledges up front.

At the moment my attention is consumed by the 6th pressing of the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man. They are in production now and will be released the first of January. The previous five pressings all used the same master die set. The sixth pressing is being done on newly prepared dies. The obverse is almost the same... with just the addition of a small marking to denote the die#2. But the inscription ring on the reverse side has been completely redone in a new typestyle and with a revised spelling to exactly match the phrase in the books "Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaeris". (the earlier coins all lacked the silent "h" in Morghulis) I can't seem to attach photos here... but there are some sneak-preview photos on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tom.maringer I'm new to the Facebook scene.

If you place an order, please mention that you're from the forum! I may have some extra tidbits to drop in the package.

Have fun!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

As of today all the iron Faceless Man coins will be shipped from the Sixth Pressing. The ebay listings, online store listings, and website were all updated with new photos last night.

http://www.shirepost...e-faceless-man/

In other news... Museum Replicas Ltd has got a four-piece coin set up on their online catalogue!

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2205-game-of-thrones-coin-set.aspx

They chose to include the Faceless Man, the silver Eddard, the Greyjoy star, and a Torrhen Stark penny, along with a newly designed coin bag.

We are talking with two other major retailers who will hopefully start offering coins and/or sets soon. More on that if/when it comes to pass!

Have a great new year!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw these coins today an I have to say they look awesome! I will be definitely be picking up a faceless man coin and likely one of the stags if I can decide which one. I do also have two questions. Are most of the coins in medallic registry or coin registry? I saw that the 6th edition of the faceless man coin was in medallic registry but couldn't find that detail about the other coins. Along with that question, do you think you will be releasing a version of the faceless coin in coin registry in later prints?

Hi Jediabiwan:

Back on the first page of this thread is the list of all the GOT coins and their mintages and registries. I try to keep that page up-to-date and in fact I just edited it to update with the newest strikes. I tend to flip registry from pressing to pressing. The last faceless man in coin registry was the fourth pressing.... and yes I do still have some of those. But yes I'll most likely flip the registry again for the seventh pressing... whenever that might be needed, though with 3,000 in the sixth it might be a while.

Most people don't care about registry. I'd be interested to hear what interest you have in (what others consider) such minutiae!

Be well! Tom

I'm working on a die for a Dornish piece... I've got the Sun and Spear done for one side and looking pretty nice... just needs the NYMEROS MARTELL inscription cut in. But I'm stuck for the other side... there are lots of ideas but nothing that is clearly THE THING for it.

Starfall??? I must have missed that one somehow. Tell me more about Starfall.

Archived