Game of Thrones coins

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the real metal coins... we've just added a second Volantis "honor" coin. This one is called the "Warrior's Honor" and was engraved by a different artist (Joe Paonessa) and features a tiger under the crown. So if you study the Wiki, you will know that Volantis is ruled by a coalition of two political Parties... the Elephants and the Tigers. Traditionally the Tigers are "hawkish" and pro-war, while the Elephants are more peaceful and pro-business. But... the main business of Volantis is slavery, and Daenerys has been going around freeing slaves.

While the Elephants have been in power for the last three hundred years, the Tigers have been gaining support even from avowed elephants who fear for the economy if Daeny is not stopped.

So... there it is... should it be the Tigers or the Elephants? We're going to run a little poetry contest. Each person can submit one poem in Haiku form, promoting one or the other viewpoint, here and on social media. We'll collect them and winnow it down to the top two in each category, then let you vote for your favorites. The winners and runners-up will receive prizes of cool GoT coins from Shire Post Mint!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to mention... we had a radio interview the other day! You can listen to it on the KUAF website, and there's a photo of Woody, Myself, and Don there, and a video of Woody banging out some coins. It was kinda fun! Check it out! http://kuaf.com/post/ozarks-connection-game-thrones

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Master of Coin,

Regarding your "Faceless Man" coin, I have searched this thread and I believe I have found some answers to my question, but I'd like to ask a question nonetheless. The most common complaint I see from people regarding this coin is that it is smaller than they expected, being smaller than the coin depicted the the HBO series. As I understand your previous answer, this size of the coin was produced to the specifications of the books, not the television series.

A question was also asked whether you would produce a "Faceless Man" coin to match the coin depicted in the television series and besides the fact that the one was not made of metal, was white in clolor and was engraved differently, my question is this... would it be possible for you to produce YOUR version of the "Faceless Man" coin, just in the larger size depicted in the television series? For fans of the series, I believe the issues is the small size, not your engraving, which is excellent. I would think something like this would sell well if it were possible...

(The Chinese counterfiet coins are produced in a larger size, so unfortunately THEY almost fulfill this role, despite their poor quality. Also, for some very strange reason, every one I have seen a picture of has had a hole drilled BELOW the faceless man's head, so that if used as a neckless, the coin would be hanging upside down!)

Yes it would be possible. It would not be easy, and it would not be cheap, but we could conceivably do that. The TV coin looks to me like it's about 1.25" diameter... half-dollar size... 32mm-33mm. At that diameter it would also have to be thicker. It would be technically and artistically challenging to make the larger size coin in iron. But yes, it would be possible. I would not want to shift all production to that, but we could conceivably offer it as a special limited issue or something like that.

Yes it would be possible. It would not be easy, and it would not be cheap, but we could conceivably do that. The TV coin looks to me like it's about 1.25" diameter... half-dollar size... 32mm-33mm. At that diameter it would also have to be thicker. It would be technically and artistically challenging to make the larger size coin in iron. But yes, it would be possible. I would not want to shift all production to that, but we could conceivably offer it as a special limited issue or something like that.

I guess maybe asking if other's here, at least, would be interetested in something like that, at an increased cost?

Master of Coin,

Another question in regards to your Faceless Man coin. It's possible you've answered this before, I'm not sure. The coin on eBay is shown to include a collector's card and sleeve. On your website, no mention is made of any collector's card included with the coin. On the HBO Shop, they show a different (apparently older?) card with the coin.

I'm just wondering, if purchased from your website, does the coin also include the (and if so, which) card? If purchased from the HBO Shop, does it include the version of the card they depict (and are they selling an older pressing of the coin?). Thanks!

We're currently shipping ninth pressing coins (recognized by THREE buttons below the cowl). They come standard with the 3" x 4 1/8" collector-card packaging... a stiff card printed both sides in a plastic sleeve, with the coin pressed into a precisely cut hole in the center of the card so you can see both sides. Some dealers still have the 7th or 8th pressing coins, which came in a flip and 3x4 toploader with a printed insert. There is more "story" on the insert, but you cannot see both sides of the coin. In the HBO shop they never ordered either of the larger formats, but instead opted for the 2x2 flip with a printed cloth bag. I believe those are 8th pressings. On Amazon there are several sellers that are all riding on the same ASIN, but not all are the same version.

We do have 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th pressing coins still available with their original packaging on request. But we always ship the most recent edition even if we have older ones in stock.

Sorry... it's confusing (even to us). The coin has proven popular enough that we have had to really work at it to keep up, And trying to stay one-step ahead of the counterfeits has been challenging as well. We have recently prepared dies for a 10th pressing, but I won't reveal the diagnostic features of that one until it's released.

Valar Dohaeris!

Tom

We're currently shipping ninth pressing coins (recognized by THREE buttons below the cowl). They come standard with the 3" x 4 1/8" collector-card packaging... a stiff card printed both sides in a plastic sleeve, with the coin pressed into a precisely cut hole in the center of the card so you can see both sides. Some dealers still have the 7th or 8th pressing coins, which came in a flip and 3x4 toploader with a printed insert. There is more "story" on the insert, but you cannot see both sides of the coin. In the HBO shop they never ordered either of the larger formats, but instead opted for the 2x2 flip with a printed cloth bag. I believe those are 8th pressings. On Amazon there are several sellers that are all riding on the same ASIN, but not all are the same version.

We do have 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th pressing coins still available with their original packaging on request. But we always ship the most recent edition even if we have older ones in stock.

Sorry... it's confusing (even to us). The coin has proven popular enough that we have had to really work at it to keep up, And trying to stay one-step ahead of the counterfeits has been challenging as well. We have recently prepared dies for a 10th pressing, but I won't reveal the diagnostic features of that one until it's released.

Valar Dohaeris!

Tom

A very detailed and much appreciated response! I wasn't aware they were being offerered on Amazon and I will admit that I personally LOVE Amazon, they set the standard for customer service by an internet retailer IMO, (especially one so large) and I believe people who find otherwise need to learn that you "catch more files with honey than vinegar"! Their customer service has many times gone far beyond would I feel could be even reasonabably expected for me. However, their site is NOT without issues itself, such as determining WHAT version of SOMETHING someone is actually selling, which relates EXACTLY to what you mention... though I would say that if you ordered a coin their from a third party and recieved one that was notably different that what was described on the page, IF the seller won't handle it, Amazon will... just remember that in such a case, AMAZON is NOT your enemy! (Advice from someone with much experience in these matters!) :fencing:

No replies from anyone regarding an interest in a larger coin "faceless man" coin here, I don't know if that is because the users here are more 'book' orientened than 'tv series' oriented or because I seem to be one of the few people that posts in this sub-forum in the short time I have been here. Oh well...

A question with no intenion meant to antagonize you and feel free not to answer it if you wish, I am just interested. While it is clear that the Chinese coins have copied your design, can they truely be considered 'counterfeits', since they are larger than your coins and the ones I have seen have always been advertised as being 'zinc alloy'. Undoubtedly, copying your design is wrong, but makes them cheap 'copies' rather than 'counterfeits' it would seem to me... maybe that is just semantics in your eyes. To the less knowledgeable, they certainly COULD be sold as counterfeits, I will admit. (On a side note, I just noticed that a place, that shall remain namless, that had many sellers offering these, today has very few sellers offering these... Valar Morghulis?)

Thanks Tom!

Valar Dohaeris!

We are calling them counterfeits because they are unlicensed, infringe our copyright, and they are selling them as the real thing. We pay a significant licensing fee to George R.R. Martin for the right to create and sell coins related to his original mythos. They pay nothing. There are now at least five different counterfeit Faceless Man coins that we know of... there are different sizes and different materials. So far there are none that are good enough to pass as real to someone who knows exactly what they're supposed to look like... but many unsuspecting people have been fooled and legitimate dealers of the genuine item are being hurt.

People buy collectibles to immerse in, honor, and respect the fantasy creation of an author. But it is highly disrespectful and insulting to an author to engage in the purchase of unlicensed counterfeit goods. It is also insulting to us, as the copyright holder for the design.

Among fans there is a Faceless Man Challenge game... you pull out your coin (if you dare) and issue the "Valar Morghulis" challenge. If your opponent cannot produce a matching coin, they buy the drinks. If they do produce one, you buy the drinks. If anyone shows a counterfeit... well... it is totally uncool.

We have uploaded a new ASIN to Amazon with this title:

Game of Thrones: Iron Coin of the Faceless Man in Collector Card, with Manufacturer Folio By Shire Post Mint

including a description of the folio/COA that we include with every order that we ship. Other larger sellers have co-opted our other listings, and changed the photos and descriptions. But this one will be solely for Shire Post Mint fulfillment because nobody else has the folio. If you'd like to order Faceless Man coins direct from us and KNOW which one you will get, please use this listing.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to mention that the Chocolate Coin of the Faceless Man (which is 1 1/2" in diameter by the way) is on sale for Valentine's Day.

Just go to: Chocolate Coin of the Faceless Man and on checkout enter the discount code: VALAR VALENTINE for a 20% discount!

Have fun! Tom

Well, due to apparent lack of intererest in a larger Faceless Man coin otherwise, I suppose this might be my only option... don't think I should carry it around in my pocket though... :wacko:

I could do an experiment and try striking a large aluminum blank with the dies for the chocolate coin.... might be cool.

In elated news we have experimented with using stainless steel on the regular sized one... and it works! Those would never rust!

• 2 weeks later...

I could do an experiment and try striking a large aluminum blank with the dies for the chocolate coin.... might be cool.

In elated news we have experimented with using stainless steel on the regular sized one... and it works! Those would never rust!

I'm elated to hear that related news... :)

Heh heh! Yes well... In an inflated relation of belated elation we have made some oversize aluminum coins, in two thicknesses experimentally. We sent samples to George to see what he thinks. Basically they look just like the chocolate coins, but they're solid aluminum. The thick ones weigh 11 grams, the thin ones are just 4 grams. Both feel light to me, and frankly... they're awfully similar to the counterfeits! It would become more difficult to train people to look for the details that set the real ones apart from the fakes. Our best idea is to call them a metal replica of the chocolate coin... that way people can go ahead and eat the chocolate but have an example of that die to keep. These are still just experimental... none have left the building except those we sent to GRRM.

Heh heh! Yes well... In an inflated relation of belated elation we have made some oversize aluminum coins, in two thicknesses experimentally. We sent samples to George to see what he thinks. Basically they look just like the chocolate coins, but they're solid aluminum. The thick ones weigh 11 grams, the thin ones are just 4 grams. Both feel light to me, and frankly... they're awfully similar to the counterfeits! It would become more difficult to train people to look for the details that set the real ones apart from the fakes. Our best idea is to call them a metal replica of the chocolate coin... that way people can go ahead and eat the chocolate but have an example of that die to keep. These are still just experimental... none have left the building except those we sent to GRRM.

Actually, it would probably be easy to tell them apart from the counterfeits if you don't stupidly drill a hole at the bottom of the coin so it would hang upside down around your neck (like every counterfeit I've seen has)... :dunce: :rofl:

Archived