Patchface Prophesies

I really like this except I am not seeing how the Lionstar name of the ship makes the Frey's symbolically starfish. Can you elaborate a bit please? Thanks!

The suffix of starfish may just refer to the fact that they came from the sea on the prefix, which refer to the Lionstar.

• 3 weeks later...

"and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."

Just a thought but we know that the Night's Watch blows the horn three times when the Others attack. Of course, they are not "mermaids" as they are men. Except that one of the castles is occupied entirely by wildling women/spear wives, right? So this could be focus of the attack.

“We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

Perhaps you guys are thinking too much about the Others and the Nights Watch? Couldn't this prophecy be refering to Victarion reaching Slaver's Bay? (PF using we instead of they because he was reborn by the sea/DG just like the Iron Born)

Under the waves we will ride seahorses - Someones theory about Seahorses meaning Ships might be true...

mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming - the seashell being the Dragon-horn. I'm just not sure about the mermaids... Victarion might find some woman to blow the horn, idk..

I am pretty sure other people have been right.

Under the sea = In death/In the realm of death

Therefore since mermen are the men of the sea, they are the men of death

Mermen = wights/others

Not sure what seahorses are. Someone said they are ships in old English, although I doubt that is the context here. You do not 'ride' a ship.

I am pretty sure other people have been right.

Under the sea = In death/In the realm of death

Therefore since mermen are the men of the sea, they are the men of death

Mermen = wights/others

Not sure what seahorses are. Someone said they are ships in old English, although I doubt that is the context here. You do not 'ride' a ship.

Ice spiders?

Just a thought but we know that the Night's Watch blows the horn three times when the Others attack. Of course, they are not "mermaids" as they are men. Except that one of the castles is occupied entirely by wildling women/spear wives, right? So this could be focus of the attack.

This is it. The Others will wightify ships. That way they'll circumvent the Wall and attack the castle on the coast - inhabited by just women whom Jon sent to a separate castle. They'll blow the horn three times to announce their coming.

• 2 weeks later...

“We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

How about;

We will march into the sea and out again - Stannis marching to Winterfell, everyone thinking he's dead and then him turning out not to be

Under the waves we will ride seahorses - the waves are the blizzard, so they are riding dead horses. Didn't Stannis' army kill and eat most of their horses?

Mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming - Manderly's announce Stannis arrival into WF, or let him in.

Alternatively;

We will march into the sea and out again - Rickon returning from being "dead"

Under the waves we will ride seahorses - ships sent in secret to retrieve Rickon

Mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming - obviously the Manderly's revealing Rickon

Not sure about the "we" and "our" parts though.

How about;

We will march into the sea and out again - Stannis marching to Winterfell, everyone thinking he's dead and then him turning out not to be

Under the waves we will ride seahorses - the waves are the blizzard, so they are riding dead horses. Didn't Stannis' army kill and eat most of their horses?

Mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming - Manderly's announce Stannis arrival into WF, or let him in.

Alternatively;

We will march into the sea and out again - Rickon returning from being "dead"

Under the waves we will ride seahorses - ships sent in secret to retrieve Rickon

Mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming - obviously the Manderly's revealing Rickon

Not sure about the "we" and "our" parts though.

ETA: Misread your first one. Still thinking it unlikely though. Only people on the wall might think Stannis is dead, and they too can of course presume the letter is fake. Ramsay could write anything.

But the second one - I really like it. Nice thinking, even if it turns out not to be true. It even seems logical, as logical as a Patchface prophecy might sound.

ETA 2: The biggest giveaway is "the mermen" I've seen interpretations, and while most people's first thought is Manderley, they're all like - how can Manderley fit. Well, that's how. Great job on this one ;)

Now I have to go back and read all the Patchface. I can't believe I wrote him off as a creepy idiot. What god(s) are backing his prophecy? We know the Old Gods and R'hllr can give it, but where does Patchface fit into it?

Same. I've only been reading outside materials for a couple days, but I'm quickly learning that it's a mistake to write anything off with ASOIAF!

The single prophecy where Patchface talks in the first person seems very significant to me. Jon discusses a Night's Watch ranging. Patchface, though himself not part of that group, says that we shall march into the sea and out again. I think that he predicts the fall of the Wall to the Others, killing everyone manning it. The mermaids blowing seashells is a possible attack on White Harbor, whose able men Manderly has taken to war. The seahorses are dead horses that will be ridden by the wights, thus taking White Harbor by surprise with speed. Patchface leading it implies that he will perhaps be turned into an Other upon death, maybe because of his magical properties. Alternatively, Patchface may simply walk at the front of the attack by coincidence.

The theory I previously held about this prophecy is Stannis's eventual victory in Winterfell. He will march into the sea(presumed dead) and out again(turns out to be alive). The seahorses reference that all of Stannis's horses have been eaten(thus figurately the men "ride" or subsist on them). Then mermaids(Manderly's men) will blow horns to give Stannis the signal to attack. The issue with this theory is that it does not account for Patchface's use of "we" or that he will lead the attack(unless Patchface somehow gets to Stannis's lines).

• Similarly, drowned men intone: "Let ... your servant be born again from the sea, as you were. Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel" and it is said that AA will be reborn among salt and smoke. Again, rebirth and AA.

The salt of the sea and smoke rising in bubbles. I don't think this has anything to do with Patch Face as subject, but calls attention to/affirms the AA Prophesy.

The cold and fire gods have been shown to bring back dead people as servants. Perhaps the Drowned God also does that, but the second life is different.

The Iron Men seem to believe that Damphair's drowning has given him prophetic abilities. Damphair talks about how they purposely "drown" people so they can become reborn, but this is described as nothing more than holding them down until they pass out, then pushing the water out of their lungs so they re-awaken. Perhaps this is just the Iron Men's poor attempt to mimic what the Drowned God really did to Patchface and others.

The Drowned God seems to oppose the Storm God, so these two would not be major players in "a song of ice and fire" yet maybe they do have a role to play.

So, long story short, Patchface's green, blue, and black flames may refer to dragonfire, as well as, or instead of, the glass candles.

I'm of the belief that this is a reference to the use of wildfyre on the Blackwater. Wildfyre burns green and 'Blackwater' is pretty translatable to black (name of the river) and blue (color of water).

Here are a few I've found.

"Under the sea, the crows are white as snow, I know, I know, oh, oh, oh. "

Could be: Jon dying and warging into Ghost, Night's Watch men dying and walking underwater as wights (dead things in the water), something else with Night's Watch men dying (wights -> white).

Could be: We'll die and be resurrected. Are seahorses dead horses?

"In the dark the dead are dancing."

Obvious one: Dead people are rising as wights.

"Under the sea, men marry fishes. They do, they do, they do."

Could be: I dunno, a Tully?

"“Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

Could be: The Doom of Valyria, or the Blackwater.

"Under the sea, the birds have scales for feathers."

Could be: Dragons.

Could all his talk about under and in "the sea" refer to The Wall?

Because I think I saw some theory somewhere that The Wall was made out of seawater.

Probably talking rubbish now, but just something that came to my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

"“Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't gree black and blue the three colours that dragon glass candles can be?

I thought it talked about Blackwater Bay and wildfire's black-green flames

I thought it talked about Blackwater Bay and wildfire's black-green flames

Count me as another one for associating that prophecy with wildfire (although the blue flames kind of throw me)

The smoke-bubbles thing - I always read it as an indication that people who almost drowned should not be disregarded as potential AA candidates. - if smoke can be replaced by bubbles, reborn amidst salt and smoke could refer to Patchface himself, Davos, or even Tyrion for instance.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived