Patchface Prophesies

Well perhaps, it refers to the location of an under-water volcano. Where the flames burning would just be pieces of dragon glass. Could be I do not know. But probably not, I am sure the series will not get into too much geography as it pertains to the formation of under-water volcanos. Plus, who could ever retrieve such things from under the water. I am stopping this theory right now.

I think Patchface is extremely creepy and that he will be part of brining the Others south of the wall/having the wall come down.

I've read threads on this theme before, and I remember one theory that I liked when I read it that suggested a connection between the Other god and the Drowned god and the stonemen/grey scales. I think it had something to do with the grey scales having to do with the Other and that grey scales/the stone men had to do with a damp climate/fog/water. I can't remember the details though.

That's definitely the Red Wedding that Patchface is predicting, though.

"Under the sea, the crows are white as snow, I know, I know, oh, oh, oh"

I've just taken as Snow leading the crows, i.e. the Night's watch.

"We will rid seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming" would (I think) suggest to me that PF and the Others will ride dead horses, and the mermaids (the Manderlys)

will blow their horns to announce that they are coming/prepare for war. The use of "we" here is interesting.

I'll have to go search for that old thread and see what it says...IIRC there was some pretty interesting stuff in it.

"Under the sea, men marry fishes. They do, they do, they do."

Could be: I dunno, a Tully?

With the "under the sea = death" interpretation in mind (and therefore men under the sea means dead men), this made me think of undead Berric smooching Catelyn.

I'm not exactly sure where it comes from, I probably should be paying more attention, but I know some people are theorizing that Patchface is a Targaryen descendant. This makes this quote from Stannis a bit more intersting - "The dragons are done. The Targaryens tried to bring them back half a dozen times. And made fools of themselves, or corpses. Patchface is the only fool we need on this godforsaken rock."

On a similar thread, someone suggested that "Under the Sea" was Patchface-speak for "In the Future."

FWIW people on that same thread suggested Patchface was the great Other - which is why he's leading an army of wights and Mel is horrified by him - and an avatar of the drowned god of the Iron Born.

I'm not exactly sure where it comes from, I probably should be paying more attention, but I know some people are theorizing that Patchface is a Targaryen descendant. This makes this quote from Stannis a bit more intersting - "The dragons are done. The Targaryens tried to bring them back half a dozen times. And made fools of themselves, or corpses. Patchface is the only fool we need on this godforsaken rock."

:bowdown: I love this!

Patchface is a nod to King Lear.

That's cold man, real cold x') She seems to enjoy living as much as anyone when there's at least someone around for her to play with (like Edric Storm). While I'm getting used to goriness and such the slaughter of actual children is not something I look forward to on any sort of level even in ASOIAF. But it's not impossible, we've had the miller's boys, Cley and I'm probably missing some...

The disembowled children along the road to Meereen? That was one of the few things in ASOIAF that actually made me think "Begads, that's horrible."

When Melisandrei made her prediction of patchface (surrounded by skulls/lips of blood) I began to think he was an agent of The Great Other, but if true it begs the question of why she didn't feel that action needed to be taken (ie convince stannis to burn him). I've thought about that phrase, and the one she made about BR and Bran alot, I can only hope some of this gets answered in WOW.

Really like the connections between Gods/PF targaryen theories keep up the good work!

i know this is a pretty useless comment but i really gotta say this for once...

Patchface creeps the hell out of me!

far worse than bolton or anyone else. i`m closing my eyes everytime he appears while getting goose pimples.... i`m really wondering what might be his greater purpose and why the hell he of all ended up at the wall.... but when the others arrive, welcoming him in their mid and greeting him as one of their own, at least we know what he was doing while believed being drowned for how long? a couple of days? he was diving to the land of always winter (which by the way could also mean "under the sea")

I`ve got a crackpot one:

PF is the one resurrecting Jon (if he needs resurrection). as he is obviously able to do it, maybe by killing Shireen (who is doomed to die anyway) and this is really the only reason i see him at the wall.

and hell, who would probably see PF of all people doing this....

You know what, I was just re-reading one of the Davos chapters in ADWD, and I noticed that the Frey's have come to White Harbour in a ship called the Lionstar. So I guess that makes Patchface's prophecy on that part make sense:

"Under the sea, the merman feast on starfish soup and all the serving men are crabs."

the merman= Manderly

Starfish soup= pie with Freys having come on the ship the Lionstar

crabs=the Borrells of Sweetsister, who reportedly sent the Freys on to White Harbour

I have no clue what the prophesy means as a whole but i am sure that

“Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

refers to the dragon glass candles...... anyone have any theories about how it could tie in?

I looked it up, and I saw a reference to one green and three black glass candles at the Citadel, but no blue. I may have missed it, though - I'm sure there is probably blue-tinged dragonglass out there.

As an aside, an interesting thing about dragonglass is that Marwyn clearly distinguishes it from obsidian. My thoughts are that dragonglass has been dragon-forged, and is therefore imbued with dragon magic, whereas obsidian is plain old volcanic glass.

Another interesting thing about the different colors of the glass candles is that the dragons breathe fire that seems to be color-coordinated with their scales. For instance, Drogon has black interwoven in the fire he breathes, and Rhaegal's flame is described as "a swirling storm of orange-and-yellow fire shot through with veins of green". Viserion's fire is described at one point as "gold and orange". We have yet to see a blue dragon, but there are hints in The Mystery Knight that we might see one one day.

So, long story short, Patchface's green, blue, and black flames may refer to dragonfire, as well as, or instead of, the glass candles.

You know what, I was just re-reading one of the Davos chapters in ADWD, and I noticed that the Frey's have come to White Harbour in a ship called the Lionstar. So I guess that makes Patchface's prophecy on that part make sense:

"Under the sea, the merman feast on starfish soup and all the serving men are crabs."

the merman= Manderly

Starfish soup= pie with Freys having come on the ship the Lionstar

crabs=the Borrells of Sweetsister, who reportedly sent the Freys on to White Harbour

I thought also his "the old fish eat the young figh" might refer also to the frey pie.

Maybe the ironborn have misunderstood the drowned god the entire time, and he is in fact a thrall of the Great Other. "What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger" has always seemed to fit more with the Great Other than R'hllor. The ironborn aren't historically the most civil and peaceful culture afterall, couldn't it be possible that they worship this evil god? Sure, they drown people while baptizing and make them cough up some water but not long enough for them to actually die, perhaps Patchface is what became of their priests and holy people long ago when customs were different.

Look at what's going on around him when Patchface gives the whole “Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black” prophecy: it's when Stannis is getting "Lightbringer" and Melisandre is shouting about him being AA reborn. Perhaps Patchface was trying, in his own Patchface-y way, to "correct" Melisandre? Perhaps this ditty is meant to describe the "real" AA reborn/Lightbringer?

The first half might point toward Winterfell. The hot springs there are described as "bubbling", and smoke is grey, one of the colors of House Stark. Not to mention, Patchface gives this prophecy back in ACOK, long before Winterfell was burned, so the "smoke" rising in bubbles could refer to the smoke rising from Winterfell as the bubbles rose from the hot springs.

In the second half, the flames burn green, blue, and black---but there's never been any indication that obsidian can be blue. Stannis says he's seen veins of it that are "black, as I recall, but there was some green as well, some red, even purple." Green, black, red, and purple---but Patchface says blue, not purple. So perhaps Patchface wasn't talking about obsidian candles, but rather, three colors associated with AA reborn? Green could represent the greenseers, black could represent the Night's Watch, and blue could represent the Others.

Archived