Crusader King II

An interesting development in my campaign if anyone's interested. Managed to squash Robert's Rebellion after ol' King Aerys met an "unfortunate" end and Rhaegar ascended to the throne. Spared Robert's life which eventually led to him choosing trial by combat. He killed Rhaegar so now I'm playing as Aegon with Varys as my regent. Gotta say, this mod is leaps and bounds ahead of vanilla CK2 and the official ASOIAF games as well.

First off- the map is absolutely gorgeous. Starting up the game for the first time and seeing Westeros in beautiful, detailed, 3D glory...wow.

The mod is certainly fun, the biggest problem is that the CK2 system doesn't represent some parts of the game well. CK2 is all about the big picture, playing dynasties through the centuries, whereas all of the events from the Rebellion to the end of ADWD have happened in less than 20 years. CK2 war's don't end quickly after a couple big battles like the Rebellion did, so you can expect the War of the Usurper to last at least 20 years every time, likely longer. The game just isn't made for short term events. And then of course there's the white walkers- the mod doesn't deal with them, and considering that the series isn't over yet, there really isn't a way to include an invasion of the Others. But if you can ignore that part of the story and just enjoy Westerosi politics and wars over the decades and centuries, its a very impressive start for a mod.

The detail that has gone into the character system is staggering, and it makes for near limitless possibilities of sandbox experimenting. Playing a game as Leyton Hightower, I noticed the rebels were struggling against the royalists, and nearly all of the Stormlands were occupied by the Targaryens and Tyrells. I decided to turn the tide by declaring for Robert, putting me at war with my own lord. This became interesting, since Gerold Hightower, the White Bull and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, was a member of my family. The Mad King had to choose what to do with a member of his KG that belonged to a rebelling house, and he lived up to his name: he had the White Bull executed.

Definitely worth checking out for any ASOIAF fan.

Balon Greyjoy is now the lucky husband of Cersei Lannister and the Royalists are being thoroughly smashed up north by the Northmen, Riverlanders and Valers/Valemen(?) but Robert is being hard pressed in the south with the Reach, Dorne and a portion of the Crownlands attacking on several fronts.

The Greyjoys are sitting at the side waiting for the chance to strike, though apparently Euron wants to fall in love.

had a great MP game yesterday with 10 people, just before kings landing was about to fall to the combined rebell forces of Lannister/Stark/Tully, the greyjoys entered the war on the targaryen side and attacked together with the tyrells our besieging army in KL, which resulted in a complete disaster for the rebells, raaaaaage xD

i'm planning to have a huge MP game on wednesday at 19:30 CET, feel free to join :

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?610038-Game-of-thrones-mod-Wednesday-19pm-CET

(game needs to be registered to join MP games and view that thread)

Just curious, has anyone played as Aerys throughout the war? I picked him at first and saw that he had like 4,000 men and huge lunatic penalties with nearly every vassal wanting to rebel and ran to Casterly Rock. Have you won the War? And how hard was it?

First off- the map is absolutely gorgeous. Starting up the game for the first time and seeing Westeros in beautiful, detailed, 3D glory...wow.

The mod is certainly fun, the biggest problem is that the CK2 system doesn't represent some parts of the game well. CK2 is all about the big picture, playing dynasties through the centuries, whereas all of the events from the Rebellion to the end of ADWD have happened in less than 20 years. CK2 war's don't end quickly after a couple big battles like the Rebellion did, so you can expect the War of the Usurper to last at least 20 years every time, likely longer. The game just isn't made for short term events. And then of course there's the white walkers- the mod doesn't deal with them, and considering that the series isn't over yet, there really isn't a way to include an invasion of the Others. But if you can ignore that part of the story and just enjoy Westerosi politics and wars over the decades and centuries, its a very impressive start for a mod.

I've only been playing a Targ for a few years (killed Aerys, took his place) but I've discovered that they're not the best house to play for the long term, there's just not any challenge yet. So I think I'll go with a Great House and try to destroy the Seven Kingdoms from the inside, to create a more chaotic and exploitable situation. Yes, I'm basically Littlefinger.

As for the War of the Usurper, it's pretty easy if you get the mechanics of the war. Fighting the Northmen and Valers is literally pointless, you'll lose men for only a small gain in warscore. Gather all you men, and hopefully latch on to a Tyrell host and go straight for Robert, smash his 20K army, and siege Storm's End. It'll take about two years so peel off a 2K force to mop up Robert's levies wherever they form before they can become a problem and sit and wait. The Martells and Tyrells will fight the war for you against the Tullys and Starks, who are too busy taking meaningless castles to pay attention to me. Maybe I was lucky, but the minute I took Storm's End, the war was over, and since the Starks and Tullys were supporting forces, they were immediately knocked out of the equation.

On that note, if you do happen to get Robert in a cell, do NOT, for any reason give him a trial by combat. He killed Rhaegar and the courtier I sent as my champion.

Right now I'm trying to build up enough prestige to revoke the Stormlands from him.

Joined the rebels as Tywin Lannister fairly early on. Married off Cersei to Hoster Tully. Held off Tyrells from the south and seiged kings Landing by myself, Robert is now king. Aerys and Rhaegar are still alive and now hold some land near kings landing. They revolted again, Aerys was slain and Rhaegar imprisoned. Tyrion bethroned Margarey Tyrell and now I'm bethroned to Rhaenys. Assassinated Aegon so I have rights to their land. Now I think i'll try it as Eddard, I hope war of the five kings becomes a scenario soon

Archived