Crusader King II

Ok so I've done Dorne starting at the conquest of Dorne, I lost the war unfortunately and had to bend the knee, but I did manage to get the Martells sitting on the Iron Throne a hundred years later.

I did another Robb Stark that did not go nearly as well as last time, the war lasted eight years, and at one point I had to dismiss my troops and wait a few months and hand out bribes to get enough soldiers to continue the war.

I managed to fight the Ironborn off easily and left some troops for the Nightwatch.

But in the south....

I even killed Tywin early on in the war, like the first big battle he was killed by the Greatjon. But the war dragged on and on, and after I finally turned the tide and managed to get troops together to attack KL was when I had to send my troops home.

Joffrey also married Margaery so that complicated things and half the Vale rose up in support of him. However Stannis managed to keep them all busy in the Stormlands so I was able to regroup see off a few Reach armies and march again on KL, this time I took Joffrey prisoner and ended the war by cutting off his head. His daughter with Margaery now rules the Iron Throne and Meeren somehow. Daenarys is at Tyrion's court and no dragons it seems.

I let the Riverlands go free because I'm fine with not having them and having a nice buffer to the south.

Some things I just dont get.

I tried out the greyjoys (which sucks because you can't marry anyone off to greenlanders, so your kind of stuck amongst the Ironborn). Invaded the North and took all of the neck, Flynt lands, Glover and Mormont territory and stoney shore. The North was still fighting the crown so I was able to steam role them. Pushing up to 70% on war score.

Then the map turned grey. The Rob had been killed and they bent the knee to the crown. I controlled half of their lands and they bent the knee to Joffrey. I lost everything I had took and just had my armies based in their lands but unable to attack them as I didn't have any cause against the crown. Seriously how stupid is that?

Some things I just dont get.

I tried out the greyjoys (which sucks because you can't marry anyone off to greenlanders, so your kind of stuck amongst the Ironborn). Invaded the North and took all of the neck, Flynt lands, Glover and Mormont territory and stoney shore. The North was still fighting the crown so I was able to steam role them. Pushing up to 70% on war score.

Then the map turned grey. The Rob had been killed and they bent the knee to the crown. I controlled half of their lands and they bent the knee to Joffrey. I lost everything I had took and just had my armies based in their lands but unable to attack them as I didn't have any cause against the crown. Seriously how stupid is that?

First the not being able to attack: It does make sense since you're attacking the kingdom of the North(or something like that) and if there is no longer a kingdom in the North you have no reason to attack.

Secondly: The lands you control during an invason dosn't mean that you will get them after the war is done. If you declare war on the North for the Neck and win the war controlling every Northern territory you'll still only win the Neck.

But I didn't win anything and was in war for controlling the North as part of the Theon letter choice. Imagine if Mexico had won the Mexican-American war and occupied the Western part of USA. If Washington had then declared it was rejoining the British Empire the British wouldn't get all of America. Its not there's to give, the don't own it any more! Would the Mexicans stop being occupiers? No.

I can understand if I was part of the Iron Throne but I'm independent, what the hell.

There is no point attack anyone at war with the crown because if they lose you get nothing.

If Mexico had won the war then that part of America wouldn't have been part of America at all and they couldn't have given it away. In this case the war is still going on and you haven't won anything yet, because they haven't surrendered anything yet.

Sure you can argue that there should be a fight to the death type of option where even though the country you're attacking ceases to exist(or looses the part you're fighting for) you can, as an occupant, choose to either villingly go back to your lands or fight the new country. For good or bad, that kind of option doesn't exist in the game.

I can't say what should be the right way for this game to work but this is how the game actually works:

The only time you get nothing is when your enemy is loosing a war for everything they have, or the specific part you too is attacking. If the North was fighting the Iron throne for rule over the Riverlands your war would still be going on after they lost and if you would have won your war before the IT did then they would get nothing.

• 1 month later...

Had to bring this thread back, because I played my version of the mod for the first time in a while last night.

Played as Robb Stark, Clash of Kings start point.

Immediately attacked Tywin's army when the scenario opened, whacked it and took Tywin prisoner.

Married Roslin, but when Renly died IMMEDIATELY divorced her and married Margaery. We fell in love, too.

Ironborn invaded, but for some reason only sent about 800 troops. I sacked Kings Landing, took Cersei, Tyrion, Joffrey, Tommen, Lancel all prisoner. I basically had every Lannister except Kevan prisoner. Tywin died in my dungeons. Tommen fought my jailers, got hit on the head, fell into a coma. Personally beheaded Cersei and Joffrey in front of a weirwood tree. Sent Lancel to the Wall.

Since I'm married to Margaery, I get the Reach as allies, and they sent about 36k troops to help free the North from the ironborn, who sent 10k men to invade Bear Island the moment Joffrey surrendered. Victarion Greyjoy killed Grey Wind in battle (nooooo) but then I killed him with Ice, recovered from King's Landing. Ironborn surrender.

My dear father-in-law, Mace Tyrell, revolted against Myrcella and won. So now Lord Puff Fish, Mace Tyrell, the First of his Name, sits the Iron Throne.

Married Sansa off matrilineally to Harrold Hardyng and assassinated SweetRobin by throwing him out the Moon Door (seriously).

My exwife Roslin Frey married Jojen Reed and is cheating on him with Howland Reed.

• 3 months later...

I recently came back to the game, after having left my Sarwyck game at the height of success. Seriously, the game is awesome. I went on a quest to Valyria to aquire a fancy sword and treasures and solve a button-pressing-riddle ripped from Skyrim. Then I played as my grandson who started as High Lord of Payne Hall and pretty soon became King of Casterly Rock because the Lannisters were unable to repay Iron Bank loans and the Braavosi made him an offer he didn't dared to refuse. He then proceeded to a long and successfull reign, being known as 'King Raynald the Great', having friendly relationships to every Kingdom except the Iron Islands because nobody likes the Hoares. He invaded the Riverlands several times, aquiring the castles of Riverrun and Harrenhal. And massacred a few hundred Freys who were somehow sitting around Blackwood castle for some reason. It seemed the most reasonable thing to do.

That gave me enough courage to now playing a Stark. Torrhen Stark, the 'King who knelt' actually. Still play him, he is just in his late 70s. But I already managed to place my little grandson as King of Casterly Rock and my son as husband of a certain Jeyne Martell who is reigning as Queen of Dorne and the Stormlands, with their son being born a Stark. Four of Seven Kingdoms ruled by the Starks, bitches...

Oh and I fabricated a claim on the Twins and massacred the Freys. Just for the heck of it. I frikking love this game.

Currently trying to replicate the Targs 300 year dynastic rule over Westeros. In year 120 of the mission, and we've already had two dragon dances and a few small Targ v Targ skirmishes, where Balerion died in one and the other two dragons had died earlier, so now while there are around 13-14 dragons and dragon riders, none are close to being Balerion or even Vhagar/Meraxes level. I conquered all the free cities and am slowly just expanding my rule with each new king due to the dragon CB which makes it easy. The King of Pentos(also rules the Stormlands) gives me trouble along with my installed king of the stepstones and king of the summer isles. Rebellions are so frequent but always just an annoyance unless it's a rebellion from a vassal, which usually happens when someone new takes the Iron Throne and is how one of the dragon dances started, the other starting over rule of the stepstones. The King of Pentos is from the stock of Maegor while the Baratheon line of Targs died out, and almost all of them come out insane. They also seem to make great warriors though, so it's worth having them around to foster my second and third sons off to be warriors.

Holding onto the empire titles as I regret giving up the king titles. The I am a King thing makes it really hard to take the kingdoms back into the fold without pissing my relatives off.

Now working on pushing crown power up to absolute under my latest ruler who I genetically spawned into a genius, though I had to kill three of his brother for him to inherit as two were quick but also lunatics and he was my only sane son : /

The next crop of Targs looks crappy though so far, even though both parents are Targ geniuses, my wife is insane and has some other bad traits, so I think that may be interfering with the propogation of the good ones. The madness to genius ratio is way off with way more mad Targs than genius ones : /

Taking the free cities was probably a bad idea as it is too much for one king to manage, and giving away the other kingships has only given me a lot of grief.

Archived