Crusader King II

The duel system in this is so awesome. I've been playing as the Greyjoys, generally minding my own business bar the occasional raid on the Wildlings when Aerys tried to arrest Rodrik for no apparent reason so when he shows up on Pyke, Rodrik cuts his way through to him, only to be stopped by Jaime Lannister who he kills, followed by Balon Swann who also falls. It's only when Arthur Dayne himself steps up that Rodrik finally goes down. Let's hope Theon can live up to that standard.

Why do Balon's vassals all hate him, I always figured he had a pretty solid hold on his vassals, but I guess not? But there I am, fighting for the independence of the Ironborn then some bloody Reaver like Baelor Blacktyde buggers off and rebels. Twats.

they neither hate nor love him, none of his vassals is going to revolt if he doesn't upset them by waging war against someone with their troops (while they have to pay a part of the troops wages) :P

So I started a game as Sweetport Sound, Robert won his rebellion and most of the major Targs got slaughtered except for a minor branch on Dragonstone. Then I managed to wrest the title of High Lord of Dragonstone away from the Stormlander that Robert gave it to, and begin intermarrying Targs & Sunglass lines to where my family will have lovely white hair and purple eyes. Then I get something I'd only ever seen when playing Rhaegar, the obsession with Dragons event. I end up getting a dragon's egg and trying to flame them to life (Guncer is close to 66, the throne is on it's third Baratheon) and I've got a save directly before I get the option to sacrifice my lovely family to try and resurrect the dragons.

It never works. Ever. I've snooped at the code, and even in it the creator says that it is disabled. Still I have to ask, is it working and I've just gone about it wrong? Has anyone deciphered the code they created for Dragon events and managed to cobble it together? I ask because it would be fairly rad to have my own Dragon that gets passed down my bloodline like a Valryian Blade and gives me +150 martial skill..

That aside, the Sunglasses are set to be a pre-eminent force soon. Own and have improved on the entire High Lordship of Dragonstone (Dragonstone, Sweetport Sound, Driftmark, and Claw Isle), and then I've claimed and dealt out the entirety of the Lordships that make up the High Lordship of Cracklaw Point to lesser sons & any Targ I can find to help boom the population of High & West Valyrians.

Currently the current Baratheon King has decided to wait out his current war with 60k+ troops sitting in King's Landing, the war? Why newly introduced in 1.06 mercenary invasions gave quite the gem here.. an army of 200 Hedge Knights struck up a war for the Iron Throne. They got crushed, but neither side is bothering for peace until I assume the warscore creeps higher and higher over time.

Managed to get House Baelish on the Iron Throne within two characters but it's a very shaky hold, not least because Taena of Myr converted half my family to R'hllorism (including my current character) after I brought her into my court to act as Spymaster. It was mainly due to luck, since I'd married my daughter to Rhaegar's bastard, Pate Waters, who ended up legitimised after Aegon and Rhaenys died of gonorrhoea. And even then I had to win it through war since they only produced a daughter who wouldn't inherit even after I killed Viserys's entire family letting the Rosbys decide they were the new royal family for some reason.

Also the DLC is all on sale, but the publisher's pack is only 40% off -- even though the game separately is 75% off, as are some of the DLC. So just buy the game, and then pick up the DLC separately at the various discounted rates. Knocked the price from the publisher's pack down from €29 to €21.

Problem with it though is it's all or nothing: you can't say, change the attributes of an existing Lord a touch, or even purely cosmetic things like appearance.

If you want to edit attributes you can just edit the characters folder in the mod. Or start a game with the character you want to play and use the add_diplomacy, add_stewardship etc. cheats to fiddle about with it.

they neither hate nor love him, none of his vassals is going to revolt if he doesn't upset them by waging war against someone with their troops (while they have to pay a part of the troops wages) :P

Most of his vassals (save for Rodrik Harlaw, oddly) begin with negative relations with him... just seems odd.

An interesting development in my campaign if anyone's interested. Managed to squash Robert's Rebellion after ol' King Aerys met an "unfortunate" end and Rhaegar ascended to the throne. Spared Robert's life which eventually led to him choosing trial by combat. He killed Rhaegar so now I'm playing as Aegon with Varys as my regent. Gotta say, this mod is leaps and bounds ahead of vanilla CK2 and the official ASOIAF games as well.

Sounds fantastic, ill be sure to pickup a copy of CK2 this weekend.

I managed to make my created for the game ruler of Fair Isle pass from vassal of Kayce to Lord Paramount of the Westerlands...in less than a year, and without a war (for the Westerlands, anyway)!

Well, to be fair, things were set in motion before that, but here how I managed it:

1) My character had some very strong martial traits (formidable fighter, tall, authoritative) plus during the game managed to get some that helped (brave, diligent), resulting in him winning many tournaments and gaining a lot of prestige and money quickly;

2- I managed to make my daughter marry Tyrion, which is easy, since he trouble in getting a worthy marriage, for obvious reasons;

3) After they got married, I invited my daughter back to my court , and she accepted (I wonder why she didn't like Tywin all that much) taking Tyrion with her. They had two sons before he was murdered by a courier- and that courier was Rhaelle Targaryen, seriously (I married her to one of my couriers after Aerys died during Robert's Rebellion);

4) Since he died in my court (that about one year before I became LP), his sons were my couriers, so I quickly arranged a matrilineal marriage to another grandaughter for the eldest one, which would mean that my dynasty would rule the Westerlands anyway;

5) When I saw I had enough money to hire a couple of sellsword companies without causing much trouble (about 18 years after the game started), I begun a war for independence, and won relatively easily- my forces of about 4,500 smashed the 3 separate Kayce and bannermen forces quickly;

6) During the war, Tywin died, and my grandson became LP. When I won, I was quickly invited to become Master of Arms.

7) Then an option "Acquire the Westerlands" appeared, and I managed to get support from Ashemark, the Crag (always those Westerlings) and Lannisport. When I was able to send the letter to my grandson, already preparing for war, he gave up without a fight to avoid a civil war. And even if he somehow wins it back, I will still have my dynasty ruling the Westerlands eventually.

So, there you have the story of all a house of upstarts passed from minor vassals of vassals to usurping the Lannister dynasty and stealing their title very quickly. And somewhere Lord Tywin is kicking himself and wishing to die again in his grave.

Next stop, stealing the Iron Throne from Rhaegar, the Tyrant Poet.

Was just minding my own business as the Kingdom of the North. I had a line of Kings who were all well loved...yet all of them kept dying before the age of 40. Seriously?

So, anyway, a boy king inherits the throne and all my vassals immediately hate him. A year later, totally unprovoked, the King on the Iron Throne declares war on me, although his Kingdom splits apart leaving only the Crownlands, he still raises well over 35,000 men against me? Umm...ok.

The Iron Isles, who remained part of the Iron Throne also declare war on me...raising 30,000 men? Seriously?

My own boy king manages to raise a little over 20,000.

And unfortunately, because numbers mean absolutely everything on this game, my armies get slaughtered whilst I only able to kill a grand total of 12,000 men. Ok?

Now, if this game didn't fucking hate me so much, King Robb Stark or his son, Rickon Stark, wouldn't have died so young and I could've raised near 50,000 men against them. Instead, I'm left with Rickon's spastic little 8 year old son who can't do shit. Funnily enough, when Rickon was King, he had twin sons, Brandon and Torhenn Stark, who both died at the age of 16?

Are Starks weak as piss? Do they all only live to 40 before dying? Even Ned only lived to 39. Yet Benjen lives to 80?

I rage quit.

Fuck that bullshit.

Was just minding my own business as the Kingdom of the North. I had a line of Kings who were all well loved...yet all of them kept dying before the age of 40. Seriously?

So, anyway, a boy king inherits the throne and all my vassals immediately hate him. A year later, totally unprovoked, the King on the Iron Throne declares war on me, although his Kingdom splits apart leaving only the Crownlands, he still raises well over 35,000 men against me? Umm...ok.

The Iron Isles, who remained part of the Iron Throne also declare war on me...raising 30,000 men? Seriously?

My own boy king manages to raise a little over 20,000.

And unfortunately, because numbers mean absolutely everything on this game, my armies get slaughtered whilst I only able to kill a grand total of 12,000 men. Ok?

I rage quit.

Fuck that bullshit.

Really? I mean, shouldn't the attrition as the Iron Throne's men marched into the North been enough to severely drain them? Because when I played as the Westerlands against the Reach they fielded several big armies against me, I simply waited in Casterly Rock as the Attrition ate them alive.

Archived