Crusader King II

The iron throne has a very good option of defeating an rebellion even if the numbers are against them: the kingsguard !

All of the knights of the kings guard usualy are very good fighters, so the trick is to let your best men lead your army, find out where the leader of the rebellion is and send your army there, there is a very high chance that the kingsguard will kill the rebellions leader in the battle > ending the rebellion :), also numbers are only one half of the thing that decides a battle, the most important thing is the leader, next to that the terrain, if you attack someone over a river then you can expect realy high losses on the attacking side.

Besides that if you manage to acquire the iron throne the most important thing to do is to make sure that not a 8 year old will inherit and if there is no other way around then you could still try to imprison all of the lord paramounts so that they won't be able to go rebellious when the kidd takes over, before your old ruler dies :P

Really? I mean, shouldn't the attrition as the Iron Throne's men marched into the North been enough to severely drain them? Because when I played as the Westerlands against the Reach they fielded several big armies against me, I simply waited in Casterly Rock as the Attrition ate them alive.

It's possible, but not necessarily enough to win. Playing in the same game that I described in my post above, I decided to press a weak claim to Dorne for my grandson (my heir and also Arianne's nephew), and I did managed to win the war, simply because, while I lost thousands of men every time I marched in Dorne, or simply stood still, my numbers were big enough to slaughter every Dornish army that appeared, to the point I gained the 100% war score quickly, forcing Arianne to surrender.

Do the AI get insane bonuses or something?

Robert just raised nearly 70,000 men from the Stormlands and Crownlands alone against my 40,000 only a year after he took the throne.

How is that even possible...

bugg, stormlands can raise 20-25k at the beginning or he merged his armys with those of jon arryn, hoster tully or eddard stark.

• 2 weeks later...

In my playthrough I recreated a lord in the Westerlands with the rulers dlc. The Targaryens sucessfully defended the Irone Throne and Robert, Stannis and Renly all died in rebellion. The Westerlands became an independent kingdom under King Lancel I of his name. The Tyrells are still controlling the Reach, a very old Arianne is ruling Dorne for nearly hundred years now and the North somehow fell to a descendant of Lyanna with a nobody sub-lord.

Right now I am trying to increase my influence in the Westerlands in order to overthrow the Lannisters. And my heir has actually a distant claim to the Reach. Let's see how it continues.

• 2 weeks later...

i wish real GoT games were like that mod. even though it is still in beta, it is better than them.

in my game started as hightowers of the oldtown, i destroy florents and capture their lands. my half brother is married to the lady of south shield, one of my half sisters is married to stannis and one, who i have a secret relationship with, is betrothed to samwell tarly. poor samwell. also i have a bastard named brandon flowers (the killers) from a lady in teh court. right now i have 1/4 of the total reach army(around 12k in 45k total) and my goal is after capturing horn hill and south shield by marriage and arbor by fabricating claim, trying to be the warden of the south.

meanwhile jon arryn died without a heir and robert inherited all of vale of arryn.

god i love this game.

edit= tywin usurped the throne from robert and died soon after and now tyrion is the king. and he died in 2 months. now imp's 2 year old girls at the throne and littlefinger is regent.

Numerous other changes with the latest version;

Version 0.3

===========

Main features:

- New scenarios: The Greyjoy Rebellion and A Clash of Kings.

- New mega-wars with multiple rebel leaders added.

- Dragons.

Events, jobs, plots and decisions:

- Added the ability to appoint commanders of the Gold Cloaks, Oldtown City Watch, Lannisport and Bloody Gate. Done through giving honourary title, and revokable through personal interaction. [ side effect: blackfish is playable ]

- Trial by combat updated to use duel engine. Can now ask captor for one via decision.

- Duel Engine optimization and balance changes.

- Added an event chain where a High Lord can ask for the local Lord Paramountcy if it is either owned by the king or vacant.

- Added a plot for the King to revoke a Lord Paramountcy off a vassal that has 3 or more.

- Added a 'White Book' decision, listing all current members of the Kingsguard as well as facts about notable past members.

- Added an event chain dealing with the King punishing losing rebels from a mega war.

- If a character with a landless title is high valyrian they are no longer culled.

- When a high valyrian is culled, a new non-high valyrian is generated to stop a loop of culling and a new high valyrian appearing.

- Added decision a player can enact if they have a custom made High Valyrian character. It will make sure they aren't culled or culture changed.

- Fixed employed Maesters not getting any education traits.

- Trial by combat. Under-aged female rulers cannot fight in the trial, unless they have Martial >20.

- Increased gifting opinion.

- Added events to gain Blackfyre and other named blades in battle.

- Fixed bug where you could punish yourself in Lord's right event chain.

- If the Iron Throne changes hands the Grandmaester should be moved to the new King's court, rather than a new one being selected.

- Fixed bugged asign councillor mission personal interaction.

- Prohibited the Archmaester of the Citadel from holding tourneys.

- Reinstated vanilla congenital trait system.

- Maesters can no longer ask for non-maester council positions.

- Altered banish to wall decision. AI will only do it if they have a negative opinion of the character.

- Most "buy loyalty" plots for the player moved to character screen-based initiation, to keep the plot list from overflowing.

- Prohibited bastards from asking for titles.

- Modified some nightswatch events so they work better with wildling mechanics.

- If a vassal or relative is granted a LP by the King they now get all dejure titles under it held by the King.

- Disabled the event from the Better rebels Mod that destroys buildings, as it destroyed the base value buildings.

Character setup:

- Added traits "Ruthless", "Honorable" and "Crippled".

- Many, many more ancestors added.

- Fixed Rickard Karstark's kids, Harrion is now the eldest, and Eddard is the youngest, instead of the other way around.

- Gave Lyn Corbray his dead father's Valyrian Sword from Crowned Stag.

- Fixed traits of Victarion Greyjoy.

- Gave Aerys a stash of piety, so he can execute more freely.

- Fixed minor errors in Iron Islands and Stormlands history.

- Corrected starting families for Swyft and Sarsfield.

- Fixed House Rambton.

- Changed the way Davos appears in Storm's End event. He is now selectable in the Rainwood from 8284 also.

- Removed Lustful from Shae.

- Added Greedy to Bronn "I'd ask how much?" of the Blackwater.

- Dynastic stain traits no longer give opinion malus to fellow dynasts.

- Fixed Longclaw not being inherited by Jorah on Jeor's death.

- Added red priest trait.

- Changed Bethany Ryswell's (wife of Roose Bolton) birthdate to make her older than her sister.

- Gave Willas tyrell a health boost, to prevent him dying young so often.

- Fixed Rolly Duckfield having three warrior skill levels.

- Like a fine cheese or single malt whiskey, Lord Wyman Manderly has been aged properly. His sons are both now knights and have also been aged properly.

- Gave Ilyn Payne Ice when Eddard dies.

Province and title setup:

- Created Houses Swygert of Galemont, House Musgood of Drakesgrave, House Horpe of Weeping Tower, House Bolling of Storm's Drum and House Wensington of Children's Fist to the Stormlands (characters & ancestors & titles).

- Added houses Wynch, Tawney, Stonehouse, Myre, Kenning, Farwynd of Lonely Light and Sunderly to the Iron Islands and gave them baronies.

- Gave Harry the heir a claim on the Vale, in lieu of the fact the succession is bugged.

- The Iron Throne is now cognatic.

- Fixed ownership of the Barrowlands (now ruled by Lady Dustin) after 284AL.

- Assigned House Moore to Darkmoor.

- Landed House Hardyng.

- Added base value building for the Night's Watch.

- Added buildings: Harrenhal, wildling barracks and Bloody Gate.

Balance:

- 0.5 relative power to liege requirement for the Gain The Iron Throne plot changed to 3 LP titles. The Tyrells should take the throne a BIT less often now.

- Removed restrictions on changing laws to primogeniture, seeing as it is the universal westerosi law.

- Maesters and the Kingsguard now have a significant opinion boost relative to their current liege, representing their vows.

- Reduced primogeniture opinion penalties slightly.

- Nerfed Tyrant trait(s).

Graphics and portraits:

- DNA Work: Davos, Sansa Stark, the Mormonts, Viserys and Dany.

Misc:

- Included the "Ransom All mini mod" that adds a decision to ransom all prisoners.

- Added the Golden Company, which you can attempt to hire via decision.

- Fixed female rulers of Dorne not being styled princess, the latest paradox patch seems to have broke it.

- Fixed paying the iron price CB

- Added a Restore the Night's Watch CB for neighbouring kingdoms if the Wall is taken by wildlings.

- Improved AI ambition selection.

- Included a few new sounds.

All in all this release's changes and content were a welcome surprise to me. I was not expecting as much with each release.

It's really a great mod, despite the random CTD bug.

I tried a quick game as Robb Stark in the aCoK scenario. I met Tywin's army halfway from Harrenhal to Riverrun, and slew him in single combat in the midst of battle. With Tywin's death the Lannister army scattered and I marched on King's Landing while Stannis' forces harassed the remaining forces of the Iron Throne. To secure my final victory, I broke the betrothal with the Frey girl and married Margaery Tyrell instead. The Reach switched sides and sent its armies to fight for me. I took the Red Keep, deposed Joffrey and threw him into the dungeon, where he later died to my great amusement. With the war in the South concluded (Stannis took the throne), I marched back North to deal with the Ironmen. I defeated their army, and surprisingly captured Theon "Turncloak" Greyjoy. I wasted no time and publicly executed him for treason (which was so satisfying, you wouldn't believe). Later, the King beyond the Wall destroyed the Night's Watch. Jon Snow escaped to Winterfell and became my Master-at-Arms. I rebuilt my army and sent Jon at its head to deal with Mance Ryder, which he did.

Now, the Iron Throne is ruled by Shireen I., Stannis' daughter. The North and the Iron Islands are independent. Lady Paramount of the Vale is the wife of my current ruler, Eddard II. Stark, and their son stands to inherit the Vale and unite it with the North (his religion is the Faith of Seven, though, due to his being raised in the Vale).

I really think this mod will make the game even more popular, because it will attract fans of the series who crave the chance to role play as one of the great characters of ASOIAF universe.

Archived