How would you rate episode 208?

How would you rate episode 208?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

5/10.

I'm feeling generous, but my number kinda represents the entire season for me, not simply this particular episode. Call me a "purist," but I don't remember being terribly bored reading ACoK. As always, YMMV.

And can we just start calling Robb by his rightful name...Honeybadger? Cause he just don't give a..... :dunno:

Mixed feelings again. I gave it a 6. So many things are missing and so many things are there what should not be there. I won`t go into details because the previous comments did that pretty well. I spoke to people who did not read the books and they all loved every episodes of the second series so far. I feel a little bit sorry for them though. They think this is great but they don`t realize that they would have had a so much better experience if they had read the books first. Watching the second series would never give me the same feelings as reading COK did. Alright it might be because I know the story but then why did I enjoy the first series so much?!

I voted 7 but it's more like a 7.5. Of course, I notice I almost always change my mind when I watch the episode for the second time. I continue to hate the Jeyne/Talisa-Robb thing. They just do not have chemistry. And why in the hell would a chick's story about her brother drowning and then not drowing be a turn on? Seriously, that gets your motor running Robb?

I loved just about everything else but shoehorning in a Dany scene at the end wasn't needed. They could have put that in the next episode and expanded it a bit. Putting it at the end after so much almost felt like "Oh yes, and here's Dany" even though I doubt anyone would forget what was going on.

And Sam was back! Woo-hoo for my favorite bookworm!

Overall, I think the season is way more interesting than the book was. ACOK is my least favorite of the 5 and it's the one I remember the least about and it took me the longest to get through.

Certainly one of this year’s series’ best episodes so far. Its only demerits earned in Qarth (of course and alas!), and perhaps in the wintry ultramural zone (read: beyond the Wall). It wasn’t explosive, but next episode will have plenty of bang to make up for that. Nicely quiet, in a way.

How many ravens died in the making of this production?

Sure is hard to see a white wolf in an all-white landscape. His camouflage was so good, I never saw him once.

Pity Jon isn’t a real skinchanger yet, or he’d’ve been able to have Ghost fetch help, or even go scouting for him so he wasn’t caught. Or send ravens with spoken messages the way the singers used to. I guess Bran hasn’t opened Jon’s third eye yet, though. Dang it.

I thought Rattleshirt was scrawny, like Varymyr? Hm.

The dialogue — perhaps the chemistry? — of Jaime and Brienne, were really great. I liked the scenery there, plus the little touch that Brienne was the white knight with the white horse, not the erstwhile bearer of the white cloak.

Ser Kevan! Ser Kevan!

I so want an all-Varys show. He so rocks. Watch that man’s face! And he never did answer Tyrion’s question about what he wants.

Glad Bronn’s lack of goldcloak garb was finally explained.

I felt really sad for Tyrion, knowing what’s doing to happen.

Varys trying to imagine the Mad Kinglet’s boasts. Precious.

Tyrion bonding with Varys, nice.

Robb and Cat were really good. I kinda wish Cat had spoken up for herself more, accused Karstark of plotting treason. But Cat did well. Thank goodness she has the acting chops for the rôle.

You wonder what wheels are spinning round and round in Roose’s cool head.

Good solution to the problem of there no longer being a northern army force held prisoner at Harranhal for Arya to bust out: since they weren’t there, she just busts out on her own. Jaqen was good as always, although a bit less than omnipotent this time. Still awesome. Can’t wait for his on-screen shapechange in the last episode.

Robb and Talissa were good. This really needed to happen; the book’s whole post-facto uxor ex machina thing just never worked for me. You can tell she’s hiding a lot in her expressions; quality acting work there. Finally sex that isn’t quasi-rape. Haven’t seen two people actually enjoying each other since Loras and Renly, which was the only other time it’s seemed genuine.

Aren’t Volantenes blond Andals not olivine Rhoynish? Hm.

Asha looked kinda, dunno, well-nourished for an ironborn raider. I wonder how they’ll keep Gemma around for when the Feast and Storm story elements ultimately arise.

Dagmer the no-longer-Cleftjaw still had no dialogue with anybody else. It’s starting to annoy me. Can they even see him? He is such a creep; anybody matched up his eyes with Roose’s? Glad that most of the ironborn get slain when the Dreadforces get there. Wonder whether Dagmer will get his then? Or whether he’ll just disappear in a puff of never-saw-me smoke. Hm.

We know with certainty that the Horn that Sam found with the obsidian weaponry has meaning beyond the episode, but for the books and the entire story as well. They forgot that the cloak should have fallen apart in rotted tatters if it were really old. Or maybe it wasn’t old.

The camera work was good; lots of nice backgrounds, integrated VFX, and natural lighting.

The music was just right, not intrusive. I think I miss Marillion. Can’t wait for Mance — and Abel.

Pod sure had a funny looking face. Weird.

Stannis is awesome. This is the Stannis who was meant to be, the one Martin called the nearest thing to a hero the series has. Shame about the cats, though.

Jaime has a cute American accent, sometimes. And Tyrion’s is improving.

We see Cersei rising to her level of incompetence, and overreaching. Lena Headey has quite a range as an actress, not single-noted like Asha. Wish we saw more of that from anguished Cat; I know Fairley has it in her.

The Mad Kinglet better have a change of plastic underpants ready. Make that two. How nobody can laugh at him I have no idea.

Poor, poor Ros! Don’t forget me, indeed. Almost an in-joke there. The actress did well here. Just the right amount of her, too.

And Luwin! I nearly cried tears of joy. I’ll take Luwin’s life in exchange for early appearances of the spaced-out swamp-twins any day.

Nine. A solid nine. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty damned good.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

3/10.

Especially Robb's part. His relationship with Talisa felt kinda cute before this epsiode. But this? It's gotten ridiculous. Robb's leading a war. And all we're seeing is him riding horse relaxing in a forest and talk away with Talisa. They should have focused on the war . . . not a "proper little lady" going naked in a tent, in a middle of a military camp like that.

Why are all "proper" lady in this season all so shameless about sex?

Edited by DirePenguin

Rated a six, just like the whole season a mixed bag. I love the production, scenery acting for the most part, it's just the changes make no sense at all. Robb's storyline has been butchered, how can he possibly behead Lord Karstark in the future, when he was completely in agreement with him and against his mother's decision. Moreover Jon this season as many other poster have mentioned comes off as a complete buffoon, moreover they wait until episode eight to fill the viewer in on Lord Stannis's backstory, and raising Davos to hand of the King was just so anti-climactic.

I really wanted to enjoy this season as much as the first, and in many ways it's superior in terms of production values, musical score etc, but in the storytelling the first was much more enjoyable IMO.

One of the strongest episodes this season. All scenes were rather well exexcuted and there wasn't a single one that irked me.

Theon/Yara had their strongest moment yet

I was sceptical about Jon's scene, but I think its now back on track with Qhorin pushing him down.

Jaime's escape hapenned earlier then expected , but the scene was well executed. The absence of Cleos isn't an issue at all since he gets killed later on.

Talissa provided much needed information about the free Cities

Cersei/Tyrion scene was fantastic with cersei being back to her old self.

Varys makes a welcome return

I'm not sure how Arya's story will play out, but I'm hoping that we'll still see the takeover of Harrenhal next episode. As for those afraid about the lack of Jaqen here's a preview of ep 10 from IGN.

"As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; and Jon proves himself to Qhorin."

So I think her escape from Harrenhal won't happen until the end, and maybe we'll get to see her stab the guard before making her escape with Gendry and Hot Pie.

Ok, so Arya wants Tywin dead--Jaqen says no. She asks for help escaping--Jaqen says no. She threatens to say the name Jaqen--Jaqen helps. Ummm..... screw escaping you idiot, if you can force him to help you then get him to kill Tywin! The book version made much more sense, not to mention it was much cooler and more exciting.

EDIT: Does it need to be said? "Yara" sucks. I want my sexy pirate babe Asha.

Edited by The Shadow Fox

Does it need to be said? "Yara" sucks. I want my sexy pirate babe Asha.

She is who she is, and who she was. She was portrayed as particularly attractive. You’ve been reading too much fanfic. She’s just fine.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

Saving her daughters is reason enough to free Jaime,

Um.....actually no. That's why it doesn't happen until then. IIRC cat had been at riverrun for a little while before she finds out about bran/rickon. It's that news coupled with her father's impending death that pits her over the edge. The 'death' of the boys and her ensuing grief are the only things that help justify such a careless move on her part to the reader.

She is who she is, and who she was. She was portrayed as particularly attractive. You’ve been reading too much fanfic. She’s just fine.

What fanfic have I read? I would love to know, since it has slipped my mind.

I can look past her bland looks and her lack of expression, but her acting just isn't arousing. There is no emotion. If she was just set to stay a very minor character, I would be okay. But she is set to become a bigger character with more screen time. This actress (Watson, I think) just won't be able to handle the role that we have seen someone like Alfie Allen step up to and own (IMO).

What fanfic have I read? I would love to know, since it has slipped my mind. I can look past her bland looks and her lack of expression, but her acting just isn't arousing. There is no emotion. If she was just set to stay a very minor character, I would be okay. But she is set to become a bigger character with more screen time. This actress (Watson, I think) just won't be able to handle the role that we have seen someone like Alfie Allen step up to and own (IMO).

Her name is Gemma Whelan, and yeah, I found her acting in her earlier episodes single-noted. It was better this time. Yes, she is supposed to have a bigger rôle once they start rolling in material from Feast or Dance in the fifth season or perhaps more probably, fourth.

I gave it a 1. I'm done with the show. Until it returns to the greatness of season 1 and sticks to the books again I'm giving every episode a 1 or 2....

That will teach them... keep watching a show you obviously hate so you can post bad things about it on a random fan site on the internet. They will surely get what's coming to them then.

It has actually been hard reading and posting in this show forum. Every week, I turn on my television, and watch some of the greatest television ever made tell my all time favorite story, and I am as exited as an 8 year old fan boy. I then open up the forum, and read about how all of these people think it is nothing but a pile of dung. I have a severe disconnect with this.

I think it is cool when people point out the differences in the books and show. They are at some place vastly different, but to say this show is "horrible", or that they "ruined" your favorite character is just laughable to me. I then read the same peoples vile and hatred on threads from the first episode to this one, and realize that these very same people who are lamenting the show have faithfully tuned in every week to watch. I find that telling. Some people just enjoy complaining.

I have my own opinions also of what I liked and disliked about each episode, and I enjoy reading about other peoples ideas as well. All I am saying is that the backlash and vitriol against this show is not warranted. I personally was more upset by the changes made in the LotR movies in plot, characters and tone yet they are still some of my all time favorite films for what they are.

Edited by Howdyphillip

Could those who hate the show please tell me what shows on tv you are watching that are better than this or that make this show look like crap. If you only want to judge the show as an adaptation thats completely within your right, but to equate that to the show being bad is insane. The proof of the quaility is in the ratings which are phenominal, and more importantly for me is the fact that the people who are actually paid to critique tv shows love the series. Reading some of these comments you would think that the show is on the verge of being cancelled. We are all biased and we all love the novels, but lets remember that bad adaptation =/= bad television. (I do not beleive that this is a bad adaptation for what is worth)

Could those who hate the show please tell me what shows on tv you are watching that are better than this or that make this show look like crap. If you only want to judge the show as an adaptation thats completely within your right, but to equate that to the show being bad is insane. The proof of the quaility is in the ratings which are phenominal, and more importantly for me is the fact that the people who are actually paid to critique tv shows love the series. Reading some of these comments you would think that the show is on the verge of being cancelled. We are all biased and we all love the novels, but lets remember that bad adaptation =/= bad television. (I do not beleive that this is a bad adaptation for what is worth)

No one hates it, well some may, but I think most of us who have been critical are mostly disapointed. The disapointment can be grouped into two categories... its not great dramatic television. Watch some classic Mad Men, Wire, Breaking Bad, or the Sopranos to see some nuanced amazing characters and storytelling. GOT has been good (see "Balon" from last year), but its not yet great. The writers seem overwhelmed with the multitude of storylines this year. The episode quality is really varied and its odd given that typically tv shows hit their stride in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

The 2nd complaint is related to some poor decision making and choices in the writing room. Where they have shifted away from Martin's source material for inexplicable reasons. Most of us wouldn't care if the change was cause of cost or it would eat up too much time to explain, but alot of changes this year are inexplicable (Catelyn's motivation for freeing Jamie as an example. Martin's original is much more dramatically rich than their invented reason).

And while the critics are following the series I wouldn't say its universally loved. Its tracked and recapped because it has a fanatical following, but I haven't seen a critic yet who has put it at the top of the tv must see list (typically reserved for Parks and Rec, Community, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc...).

And btw the ratings are good, but not phenominal. True Blood scores much higher for HBO. And GOT has pretty much flatlined, while most successful HBO series typically grow throughout the season. We should see a spike for the last two episodes, but they could be better.