How would you rate episode 208?

How would you rate episode 208?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I really enjoyed this episode. To me some good talk scenes are well worth a dearth of action. Love Asha and Theon. Loved Davos and Stannis. I can't help feel if you're going to commit suicide by falling in love with the wrong woman, let alone bring about the deaths of your mother and followers, Talissa is a lot more worth it than boring old Jeyne Westerling.

I liked how Talissa's back story told us something about Volantis and the slave society, which hasn't really been touched on yet but will be so important.

Wish Arya had got to kill a guard though.

Talissa provided much needed information about the free Cities

This idea confuses me, and I've seen it a couple times in various threads RE: episode 8. I don't understand using Talisa as a means to relate customs, etc. about the Free Cities when we have Dany in closer proximity, and her arc actually intersects with the Free Cities IIRC. Why wouldn't TPTB temper her "fire and blood" demands with some info exposition about the area she is currently in, and that area she is about to encounter. Objectively, I understand the choice of Talisa/exposition monkey, but I feel that there was a real opportunity to add some much needed meat to the Dany storyline, meat that is more relative to her specific arc, and I don't understand why this didn't happen. A real missed opportunity to balance Dany, and possibly make her storyline this season less demanding brat and more empowering.

I could be remembering this entirely wrong, but I'm certain someone here can correct me?

That was HORRIBLE!!! HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How in the world does GRRM allow them to butcher his wonderful work!!!!! NO ONE KNOWS IF BRAN AND RICKON ARE FREAKING DEAD??? THE MOST ESSENTIAL POINT TO THE BOOK IS COMPLETELY DISMISSED???? So Catelyn frees Jaime while Bran and Rickon are thought to be alive?? Robb bangs Jeyne while he thinks Bran and Rickon are alive???? Jaime and Brienne are on their way already? JH helps Arya and the fam escape? I can't . . now the Blackwater battle looks like it was filmed in my back yard??? Stannis leads the charge at the mud gate??? Stannis vs. Tyrion . .I can't . . this sucks . . bye I am so furious . this is crap . . really it is crap . .

agree. stop messing with the storyline.

I don't get the producers. I feel they're making fun of us, making fun of the books.

Do they want to create their own unique show? Maybe they want to make something original. I

don't get them.

Why kill Irri when Doreah dies in the books?

Why kill Rhakaro when he could have easily

been replaced. The book clearely says that the

guy changes, grows taller and brawnier. I

understand the actor left for another movie, but

why kill of the character?

Didn't the same thing happen to Gregor

Clegane? And they just replaced the actor. What

the hell?!

Why create all this drama with Daeneris? The

things she did in the books were supposed to

show us how she evolves from a beggar queen

to a conqueror. Was dragonnapping really

necessary?

Why make Robb and Jon look childish when

these two characters mature in the second book,

becoming men?!

Why make Tywin Lannister look like an old grandfather?

Where is the Greatjon?!

Why kill the Tickler?

Where are Jojen and Meera?

And, finally, why is Rickard Karstark swearing by the father?(this gives me headaches)

I feel like the producers are giving me a huge FU! Am I the only one?

Don't worry, you are not alone. The way that most of the season has played out, it's barely fair to call this an adaptation. It's more of a terrible rewrite.

Clash of Kings, is basically like that. We wait while Dany sits around in Qarth, we follow Jon around North of the Wall wandering with Qhorin, we watch Kings Landing prepare for the Siege, we follow Arya around until she escapes, etc. We get a little action in the middle with Cat when Renly dies, but then she goes and sits around and mopes around at Riverrun. Then at the end we get the House of the Undying, Qhorins death, Weasel soup, the Battle of the Blackwater, etc. We know that next weeks episode is the Battle of the Blackwater, we know Dany will go to the HotU, we know Jon will kill Qhorin, the only thing we lose is Weasel soup (probably budget). I'm doing a reread of the series right now and am currently on COK, and the book is basically all a buildup to the end. The series is no different.

Very good sir. I started rereading it too and it is like a buildup until the end. A storm of swords is completely different, lol

It’s a shame that some parents have forgotten that this is an adults-only show.

IKR. Some people are just flooding these threads with petty insults that surely can't have come from reasonable adults.

Upset at the changes with Arya story at Harren.

Upset at Robb and Cat not being motivated by B+R death. I'm imagining that Luwin will live and take Rickon to Skagos while O+H+B go off to find the 3 eyed crow....

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE CHAIN!!?? There can't possibly be much time left for it in one episode and then do the backwater all at once.

The changes are completely unnecessary. The books are directly suited for tv.

Oh before I forget... Ros is getting locked up?? Please let it be true!!! That means we won't get to see for a long long time. Unless Tyrion frees her...

Clash of Kings, is basically like that. We wait while Dany sits around in Qarth, we follow Jon around North of the Wall wandering with Qhorin, we watch Kings Landing prepare for the Siege, we follow Arya around until she escapes, etc. We get a little action in the middle with Cat when Renly dies, but then she goes and sits around and mopes around at Riverrun. Then at the end we get the House of the Undying, Qhorins death, Weasel soup, the Battle of the Blackwater, etc. We know that next weeks episode is the Battle of the Blackwater, we know Dany will go to the HotU, we know Jon will kill Qhorin, the only thing we lose is Weasel soup (probably budget). I'm doing a reread of the series right now and am currently on COK, and the book is basically all a buildup to the end. The series is no different.

wrong thread

Edited by Ser Zig-Zag

I was really annoyed that they stalled yet again Dany's scene of House of Dying. How many episodes are they going to keep doing it? Found the whole episode boring, my rating was 5/10 lowest score on Season 2 episodes so far.

We've known since episode summaries/teasers were released weeks ago that the HotU won't be until ep. 10. Dany only has 5 chapters (or near enough to make no matter) in the entire 2nd book, hence all of the show-invented material this season just to give her something to do. She's a fan-favorite and, if they'd stuck to the book, she only would've appeared in like 3 ep.'s all season.

The HotU is in her next-to-last chapter, I believe (or maybe her 3rd?); what they've done, however, is stretched things out so that, not only does she appear much more frequently than the book material would've allowed, but also, to make the HotU the finale of her season 2 character arc. This was smart because, not only does it make for a great finale (hope, hope, hope they get it right!), but also showing her later chapters this season would've required bringing in add'l actors and a new expensive set (a ship on the open sea). With a limited budget already being admirably stretched, better those things are left for next season.

Also, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the scene aboard the ship is changed, even next season, to the same or similar dialogue, but with them already in Astapor (maybe having just arrived?). Doing the ship would be a beautiful vista, but it's an unnecessary expense, IMO.

In No Particular Order and i left out other scenes which may alter the result

+1 Jamie and Brienne (always Liked their interactions in the books)

+1 Point Robb and Talisa?? (the speech she gave, although a well done "Sex Scene")

+1 the Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie escape (Like the feel of it... Felt Spooky)

+1 Bran And Rickon Alive (Well done Cliffhanger)

+1 Cersei And Tyrion Scene (Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage For the Emmy this Season)

+1 Tyrion and Bronn (Bronn is just a great character on Screen, or all around)

+2 Stannis and Davos scene (I liked the speech Stannis gave,even thought he named him the hand early)

+1 Rattle-shirt ( Looked good to me)

-1 (just because Joffery thinks he's tough with his little dagger)

9/10

But if i picked some different scenes it might be lower

This was one of the best episodes yet. I had some issues at first, but, the more I think about it, even the stuff that initially irked me makes sense.

I hated losing Weasel Soup, but, in the context of the show universe, it wouldn't have made sense. There was no crop of northern military prisoners sitting in a tower basement with a bow wrapped around them, ready to be rescued and take the castle. Also, it would've needed to happen much earlier, meaning we ould've missed-out on most, if not all, of the Arya-Tywin scenes as well as the Robb-Roose Bolton interactions that were needed to help TV viewers understand some events yet to come. People are going crazy over no Jaqen face-change or giving Arya the coin, but episode summary/teasers make it a good bet we'll somehow see them interact again in the finale. Also, Robb-Talisais working for me, Jeyne Westerling be damned.

Lots of people seem to have disliked his ep. because it was "boring" -- apologies, but that's a lack of attention span, not bad writing. One of the best films evers made was "The Lion In Winter" (either version!); and that's about a bunch of people who are all hanging-out in one castle together over the Christmas holidays, essentially walking from room-to-room, just plotting and scheming and arguing. Everything doesn't need to be blood, and tits, and explosions to be good TV.

Lots of people seem to have disliked his ep. because it was "boring" -- apologies, but that's a lack of attention span, not bad writing.

So because "lots of people" don't share your opinion, it reflects some inability to recognize quality writing? For some, myself included, the episode was boring, which does not reflect a lack of attention span on my part, or theirs, but the ability to determine whether I/they find something challenging and/or entertaining as they define it. That definition may differ from yours, but it makes it no less valid than yours. Overall GoT is an excellent show which from time to time suffers from budget constraints and a seriously devoted book fan base, which can be detrimental to the whole.

I like the show, I watch every sunday. This past Sunday I turned it off halfway through, and went for ice cream. For this episode, IMO, ice cream was a better choice.

Actually, it was frozen yogurt, with white chocolate chips, but that's another thread....

Or maybe people just find things entertaining differently than you. No need to insult people.

So because "lots of people" don't share your opinion, it reflects some inability to recognize quality writing? For some, myself included, the episode was boring, which does not reflect a lack of attention span on my part, or theirs, but the ability to determine whether I/they find something challenging and/or entertaining as they define it. That definition may differ from yours, but it makes it no less valid than yours. .

That's a good point. Apologies to those whose particular preferences just weren't met by this episode, but someone saying it just wasn't their cup of tea is a far cry from some of the comments on this board, calling the writers hacks, etc.. Most of the things written by Shakespeare himself were exposition-heavy, so it isn't a lack of quality we're talking about here, but rather personal preference. And that isn't even mentioning the fact that this episode was SUPPOSED to be slow-paced. The tone is meant to echo the calm before the storm next week with "Blackwater." That was sort of the whole point.

Edited by J.S. Crews

I was hesitating between an eight and a nine, but after the rewatch, I think this episode deserves a 9.

Not solid, but still a 9. The fine ediiting, the good directing job and the amazing acting convinced me. They definitely stepped in for the lack of action.

I think that Tim Van Patten and Alan Taylor are the best directors this show has had so far. The dialog was great, the intersections of the different story lines were very fluent and the episode felt complete.

Highlights for me:

- every scene with Tyrion

- the Asha/Theon interaction

- the Davos/Stannis conversation.

Good job. I'm satisfied with this episode.

That's a good point. Apologies to those whose particular preferences just weren't met by this episode, but someone saying it just wasn't their cup of tea is a far cry from some of the comments on this board, calling the writers hacks, etc..

It’s odd, really, when you think about it. The terms of service at this site preclude being abusive to other posters. However, it seems that all bets are off when it comes to being abusive toward anyone and everyone involved with the show. If even a few drops of the burning vitriol that self-entitled “fans” have flung at the poor writers and actors were directed at other posters, those abusers would be banned for life. But because it’s all third-person abuse without any obvious second-person target, they get away with murder.

It’s a crying shame, and surely an embarrassment for the people who run this site to see how childish and short-sighted, and just plain mean, that people are about the show. There is absolutely no possible excuse for such shameful and aye villainous behaviour. None whatsoever.

The cruel and the careless, the whingeing wastrels drown out all the decent folk in a fashion completely disproportionate to their numbers. Scream as loud and as often as you can, beat your chest and make threats, and don’t stop until you get your way — or until the adults have left the room.

Which they have. See Bryan Cogman. See Emilia Clarke.

Lovely.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood