How would you rate episode 208?

How would you rate episode 208?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Yes, I had a brain fart and said the Times instead of the Daily News, and I made a generalization that all critics loved the show. I will take that back, and say the vast majority of the critics love this show. My point here is that we, as ASoIF fans have an incredible television show to watch. As a lifelong fan of fantasy in particular, this show is unparallelled in acclaim, and rightly so. I watch A list actors give emmy and golden globe performances. I then come into the forum, and I read about how the show is "terrible", and all of the characters have been "ruined". If you are reading this, the next time you want to say how bad this show is, go and read the fabulous works of Jim Baker called the Dresden Files. Right after you finish that incredible series, watch the adaptation of that for the sci fi channel. You can use the terms "terrible" and "ruined" for that. I am not talking here about the people who just point out things that they didn't like in an episode. I myself have little bits every week that may or may not make me want to turn a table over. I am talking about the people who have nothing to say but how horrible this show is, and incessantly whine for thread upon thread about how the whole thing if full of garbage because Lommy only said the word yield once instead of six or seven times like in the books.

fair enough :). and i love jim butcher's ;) desden files -- except that i think the most recent book sort of jumped the shark, but i still love the series. and yes, the show was hilariously bad.

Seeing as how I was originally planning on signing up for HBO and now I'm going to continue downloading yes I do believe its hurting the company. Shitty program doesn't deserve my dollars. If they had kept the quality of the episodes up to Season 1 standards I would be a subscriber of HBO right now but I knew it was too good to be true. I'm just glad that they tipped their hats all the way back in episode 5. This episode was horrible just like the last 2.... EDIT: I'm upset about all the changes. But what upsets me even more is how characters who I used to be glued to the tv screen for (Daenerys, Tyrion, and Robb) I now find myself fast forwarding thru all their scenes. And they are the only characters that have been shown recently. Davos and Stannis just returned and even then they changed that whole relationship. Davos was made Hand of the King AFTER the Battle of Blackwater Bay. This show is just horrible now. I have no faith that it will get better. Catelyn freeing the Kingslayer without Bran and Rickon being "dead" was the straw that broke the camels back IMO.

You do realize that you have just announced yourself a thief, and then followed it up with a hateful tirade against the show that you are going out of your way to steal?

Please do yourself a favor and quit robbing the producers, actor, writers, and workers of this show and just stop watching it for free... It would also be nice if you wouldn't take the cowards way of anonymously bashing people on fan sites, but to each their own I guess. I don't mind hearing a legitimate opinion, but since yours is obviously flawed I implore you to just please remain silent

Edited by Howdyphillip

That's a good point. Apologies to those whose particular preferences just weren't met by this episode, but someone saying it just wasn't their cup of tea is a far cry from some of the comments on this board, calling the writers hacks, etc..

Good point, and one I agree with.

It’s odd, really, when you think about it. The terms of service at this site preclude being abusive to other posters. However, it seems that all bets are off when it comes to being abusive toward anyone and everyone involved with the show. If even a few drops of the burning vitriol that self-entitled “fans” have flung at the poor writers and actors were directed at other posters, those abusers would be banned for life. But because it’s all third-person abuse without any obvious second-person target, they get away with murder.

Excellent point, and also one I personally agree with. But, unfortunately, that is the rub of the internet age. Anonymity breeds cruelty because there is little consequence for the abuser, but substantial consequence for the victim. It doesn't really say much for human beings that removing one's accountability for actions and words will foster the darker impulses normally kept in check by social boundries and customs. Joseph Conrad, anyone?

I feel quite fortunate that I grew up in a time pre-dating the internet, where you had to defend your opinions effectively, and learned quite quickly that temper tantrums did not an argument win, nor did your position stand up to critique.

For the record: I like HBOGoT. I prefer the books, and understand why "bookwalkers" have difficulties inasmuch as I understand how and why the "unsullied" embrace every episode as it is completely new for them. If bookwalkers want to complain, it's cool, but I think condescending to them by calling them "purists" is negating the reality that for a number of them, D&D included, there would not be a show were it not for them....those devoted people who over the span of many years waited, and waited, and waited for the next book. That kind of devotion is rare, and worthy of understanding, IMO. I walked into a Barnes & Noble and bought them all in one day, read them in three weeks. So, you know, maybe the "purists" have earned the small right to voice an opinion, as unpopular as that opinion may be.

That said, if one is one of those people who consider themselves a member of the "I've waited 10 years between each book" club, then you should consider yourself old enough to behave as an adult and not a child throwing a temper tantrum because it isn't satisfying on a scale of absolutism.

P.S. This is not intended to flame, or otherwise insult anyone.

You do realize that you have just announced yourself a thief, and then followed it up with a hateful tirade against the show that you are going out of your way to steal? Please do yourself a favor and quit robbing the producers, actor, writers, and workers of this show and just stop watching it for free... It would also be nice if you wouldn't take the cowards way of anonymously bashing people on fan sites, but to each their own I guess. I don't mind hearing a legitimate opinion, but since yours is obviously flawed I implore you to just please remain silent

Are you the police and are you going to hunt me down? And if you think I'm the only one then I've got a wonderful get rich scheme that you should REALLY invest it.....

The show is horrible and I really don't care at this point. It no skin of my nose if I watch it on my break at work the next day and I'm free to comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the episode....

I've never once hurled an insult at the actors/actresses except where I think they got the casting one. For example the lady playing Asha is horrible IMO but its just one actor of many and considering how many characters are in the books I'm willing to overlook that.

There are sites that do not allow discussion of, for example, codes to break into licensed software to which you do not have the licence. This is not to my knowledge one of them.

But even if it were, it remains true that Game of Thrones has been widely reported as the number-one most stolen / pirated / illegally accessed TV show. That seems fair game for discussion. One might reasonably ask the contributing factors behind that figure, and what if any its repercussions might be.

But I myself have answers to neither portion.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

That will teach them... keep watching a show you obviously hate so you can post bad things about it on a random fan site on the internet. They will surely get what's coming to them then. It has actually been hard reading and posting in this show forum. Every week, I turn on my television, and watch some of the greatest television ever made tell my all time favorite story, and I am as exited as an 8 year old fan boy. I then open up the forum, and read about how all of these people think it is nothing but a pile of dung. I have a severe disconnect with this. I think it is cool when people point out the differences in the books and show. They are at some place vastly different, but to say this show is "horrible", or that they "ruined" your favorite character is just laughable to me. I then read the same peoples vile and hatred on threads from the first episode to this one, and realize that these very same people who are lamenting the show have faithfully tuned in every week to watch. I find that telling. Some people just enjoy complaining. I have my own opinions also of what I liked and disliked about each episode, and I enjoy reading about other peoples ideas as well. All I am saying is that the backlash and vitriol against this show is not warranted. I personally was more upset by the changes made in the LotR movies in plot, characters and tone yet they are still some of my all time favorite films for what they are.

I love you.

It's getting rather tiresome. I keep hoping there will be some quasi-intelligent debate but it seems like most posts are either 1) This was the WORST EPISODE OF ALL TIME, or 2) This was the BEST EPISODE OF ALL TIME. Changes will and have to be made. Some I like, some I don't like, and some I just don't get but in the grand scheme of things, I want to see where things will take me as long as it makes sense. GOT is not episodic TV; it builds upon itself like, oh my gosh!, a book does. Stop expecting all of your favorite characters to be the quasi-fleshed out badasses they are by the end of book 5. If I wanted the series to be regurgatated word for word, scene for scene, I'd re-read the books and leave it at that and use my own imagination which I can tell you, is different from GRRM's or anyone else's.

Are you the police and are you going to hunt me down? And if you think I'm the only one then I've got a wonderful get rich scheme that you should REALLY invest it.....

The show is horrible and I really don't care at this point. It no skin of my nose if I watch it on my break at work the next day and I'm free to comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the episode....

I've never once hurled an insult at the actors/actresses except where I think they got the casting one. For example the lady playing Asha is horrible IMO but its just one actor of many and considering how many characters are in the books I'm willing to overlook that.

I am not the police, nor will I try and hunt you down. All I am doing is helping you to further clarify your dubious immoral nature. I don't really need to be doing this, as it seems you are doing an outstanding job of doing it on your own.

Feel free and take my advice or not, either way it means nothing to me. If you would like to hear it again, I will reiterate it. Quit stealing this television show. Then stop running as fast as you can to random fan sites to spurge it. This will do two things. First off, you would no longer be a thief, and secondly, we wouldn't have to listen to your drivel that doesn't even make sense in the content that you spout it in. If you hate this show, then why are you stealing it at work? Isn't there something that you would like that you would rather be pilfering? In the end of things, it is really up to you what you do. All I am pointing out is just how shitty this is for everyone involved.

this episode was decent.

I'm still not sure why they left out the chain. Maybe they will surprise us with an "oh by the way" type moment next episode.

Really digging My Girl Brienne. Remember people, mitts off! She's mine! I love her and she loves me.

Glad to see the finally calmed down Shae. I never got into her whipsmart smart ass attitude with Tyrion. She might have been a cocky lass with everyone else, but not with him. I need her to be warm, and accepting until The Red Viper...I might have said too much. Anyway, I need my Shae to be wedding-cake sweet.

Alfie Allen is completely nailing the role of Theon. Kudos brother!

Tyrion + Bronn + Varys was hilarious! I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tyrion and Bronn fall backwards into being best friends, even though neither would ever admit it. I got a similar, yet dumbed down vibe from Varys and Tyrion.

Just like in the book, they take their jolly sweet time with Dany doing much of anything.

Did I mention Brienne is MY GIRL?

I should note for those hoping for debate here, that this thread really isn't so much for that as just for people to state why they voted one way or another. There's many other threads where different aspects of the episode are being dissected. Doesn't mean there can't be debate, but those who want it may well be elsewhere.

Also, for future reference? Don't go around telling us you pirate the show, especially when you admit you could afford to obtain it legally. Stupid.

Edited by Ran

To me the quality of the production (outside of the weird horse situation) definitely outstrips the quality of the story & what it could be. Still entertaining even with the weaknesses I see in it.

That's a good point. Apologies to those whose particular preferences just weren't met by this episode, but someone saying it just wasn't their cup of tea is a far cry from some of the comments on this board, calling the writers hacks, etc.. Most of the things written by Shakespeare himself were exposition-heavy, so it isn't a lack of quality we're talking about here, but rather personal preference. And that isn't even mentioning the fact that this episode was SUPPOSED to be slow-paced. The tone is meant to echo the calm before the storm next week with "Blackwater." That was sort of the whole point.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pride and Prejudice. And Shakespeare, though admittedly it gets harder to follow during the slower scenes at times, just like some of Al's monologues in Deadwood sometimes got a little long, though rarely lacking in intensity. Maybe what I'm missing in the scenes above the Wall is a sense of foreboding, though the idea of being stuck out in that frozen, terrible beauty should really be enough. and it would be quite difficult to run on the ice. . . but the sense of foreboding. . . of something out there, worse than wildlings. wonder why I'm not feeling that as much? and maybe the pacing just seemed a little slow. It would have been worse, though, if all of the dialogue had occured at a standstill instead of having some of it occur at a stroll. not all conversations can be as charged as the ones between Tyrion and Varys!

Lots of people seem to have disliked his ep. because it was "boring" -- apologies, but that's a lack of attention span, not bad writing.. Everything doesn't need to be blood, and tits, and explosions to be good TV.

Apologies, but it is bad writing and you are dumb for failing to recognize it.

(See how I can be insulting and passive-aggressive at the same time, too? Oh, and cut the strawman will you, no one has said anything about the episode lacking in tits and explosions FFS.)

It’s odd, really, when you think about it. The terms of service at this site preclude being abusive to other posters. However, it seems that all bets are off when it comes to being abusive toward anyone and everyone involved with the show.

Yeah, so? This is the Internet, get over it. Why would the forum have rules against "insulting" non-forum members? It makes sense to have a rule against insulting forum members because otherwise it'd go out of control and degenerate into an unpleasant 4chan-like hellhole. It makes no sense to have a rule against insulting 3rd parties.

In any case, I haven't seen anyone be "abusive towards anyone and everyone involved". More straw. The worst I've seen were people rudely commenting on actress's physical appearance. I think it's crass and stupid but I don't see why that should be against the ToS.

There is absolutely no possible excuse for such shameful and aye villainous behaviour.

lol, drama queen much.

Which they have. See Bryan Cogman. See Emilia Clarke.Lovely.

Maybe these people just need to get thicker skins. This is the Internet, what did they expect? Also, it's weird because I haven't really seen a whole lot of vitriol towards these two. Most of it has been targeted at D&D or poor Gemma Whelan. Go figure.

Edited by Morrigan

I hope you all realize that the fact that Bolton's army was separated from Robb's led to him betraying the Starks. In Harrenhall Bolton was KING! With Robb he is just another lord. In Harrenhall he answered to no one. With Robb it would be really hard for him to send messages and communicate with the Lannisters. Bolton taking Harrenhall was the key to him betraying the Starks. I don't get the producers. I feel they're making fun of us, making fun of the books. Do they want to create their own unique show? Maybe they want to make something original. I don't get them. Why kill Irri when Doreah dies in the books? Why kill Rhakaro when he could have easily been replaced. The book clearely says that the guy changes, grows taller and brawnier. I understand the actor left for another movie, but why kill of the character? Didn't the same thing happen to Gregor Clegane? And they just replaced the actor. What the hell?! Why create all this drama with Daeneris? The things she did in the books were supposed to show us how she evolves from a beggar queen to a conqueror. Was dragonnapping really necessary? Why make Robb and Jon look childish when these two characters mature in the second book, becoming men?! Why make Tywin Lannister look like an old grandfather? Where is the Greatjon?! Why kill the Tickler? Where are Jojen and Meera? And, finally, why is Rickard Karstark swearing by the father?(this gives me headaches) I feel like the producers are giving me a huge FU! Am I the only one?

What amazes me is how accurate season 1 was in retrospect. The differences with the book were neglectable and easily explained by budget constraint (direwolves, Tyrion's battle). Season 2 is overflowing with changes that make no sense and even ruin the continuity of following seasons.

Also, I expected season 2 to be "The Tyrion Show", but he doesn't have enough scenes and it's not clear at all in the show how carefully and brilliantly he took charge of King's Landing. All we got was the firing of Janos Slynt and the visit at the Alchemists's guild.

I really just want to address on thing about the internet and it's pros and cons as it relates to HBOGoT persons leaving twitter, etc.

I own a business, and it just so happens that my business is in a creative field around which a number of well known, well used internet sites have been developed which allow for people to voice their opinions about how we do our thing. Because it is part of the overall world in which my business exists, I have to, from time to time, delve in and read what people write. Most of it is overwhelmingly positive, but there are those, for whatever reason, that spew so much vitriol that I can only wonder how awful it is to live a life in that person's skin. I mention all of this because the positive reviews are what we want, the bad ones are what we have to eat so that we understand the value of the positive ones. We knew this going in, we set ourselves up in the category for the site, and we take what we get. Sometimes we learn something, other times we don't.

But never, EVER have we thought to close because someone didn't like what we did. We nutted up, rolled with the punch, got on with it. That is simply the nature of it. Sure it pissed us off, but most of that is a result of making the conscious choice not to engage in the argument and rather chalking it up to "we're not for you, sir" state of mind. It takes awhile to get used to not engaging, but I highly recommend trying it.

So, to the HBOGoT people who find it all too overwhelming, really, here's a grain of salt..use it, because at the end of the day, your worst presentation is still 95% better than anything else of TV.

I am not the police, nor will I try and hunt you down. All I am doing is helping you to further clarify your dubious immoral nature. I don't really need to be doing this, as it seems you are doing an outstanding job of doing it on your own. Feel free and take my advice or not, either way it means nothing to me. If you would like to hear it again, I will reiterate it. Quit stealing this television show. Then stop running as fast as you can to random fan sites to spurge it. This will do two things. First off, you would no longer be a thief, and secondly, we wouldn't have to listen to your drivel that doesn't even make sense in the content that you spout it in. If you hate this show, then why are you stealing it at work? Isn't there something that you would like that you would rather be pilfering? In the end of things, it is really up to you what you do. All I am pointing out is just how shitty this is for everyone involved.

Chill out Ned Stark.

I download the show, I don't even have a TV to watch it on, and I support it in other ways. TV subscriptions aren't HBO's only revenue stream for GoT, that's for sure. DVDs, cups, mugs, advertising, ... etc etc. Actually, direct support of the show is better than HBO cloud support in terms of the bottom line.

Edited by tripleseq

I'll give this episode an 8. Entertained me the whole way through. There wasn't one point where I was bored at all. Stannis/Davos and Varys/Tyrion always make for excellent dialouge and entertainment. It seems like all the book dorks hate the Talisa/Robb romance on screen, but I really don't mind it. It's necessary. Looks are obviously subjective, however I think Talisa is the hottest girl on the show thus far, so it doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes. The lust that Robb has for her feels genuine to me.

One thing this episode has reminded me of is that we definitely need to see more Varys. Watching him interact with just about anyone makes for good TV.

Ramihn Dwardi (apologies for butchering his name, it's late) does such a beautiful job with the scoring. I've been listening to the soundtrack for the first season almost every day and by now, I know which songs go with which scenes. I still choke up for the music for Ned's beheading. It's also great music to listen to as I work on my first book. Gets me in the mood emotionally. I've already pre-ordered the season 2 soundtrack and cannot wait for it to arrive.

Apologies, but it is bad writing and you are dumb for failing to recognize it. (See how I can be insulting and passive-aggressive at the same time, too? Oh, and cut the strawman will you, no one has said anything about the episode lacking in tits and explosions FFS.) Yeah, so? This is the Internet, get over it. Why would the forum have rules against "insulting" non-forum members? It makes sense to have a rule against insulting forum members because otherwise it'd go out of control and degenerate into an unpleasant 4chan-like hellhole. It makes no sense to have a rule against insulting 3rd parties. In any case, I haven't seen anyone be "abusive towards anyone and everyone involved". More straw. The worst I've seen were people rudely commenting on actress's physical appearance. I think it's crass and stupid but I don't see why that should be against the ToS. lol, drama queen much. Maybe these people just need to get thicker skins. This is the Internet, what did they expect? Also, it's weird because I haven't really seen a whole lot of vitriol towards these two. Most of it has been targeted at D&D or poor Gemma Whelan. Go figure.

soo. . . . because it is the internet we should be able to behave however we please? isn't there still a person somewhere on the receiving end? *confused*