How would you rate episode 208?

How would you rate episode 208?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

No it doesn't. Omar is the king of Gary stus. Walk in threaten someone with a gun get what he wants, puts gun away, other guy with gun lets him walk away with a look of respect. There were so many things like this that it was not at all believable or interanlly consistent. Internally consistent would have been to kill him.

No it doesn't. Omar is the king of Gary stus. Walk in threaten someone with a gun get what he wants, puts gun away, other guy with gun lets him walk away with a look of respect. There were so many things like this that it was not at all believable or interanlly consistent. Internally consistent would have been to kill him.

First of all (The Wire season five spoilers)

he does get killed

. Second, he certainly isn't presented as a perfect character, as the term Gary Stu suggests - he looks grotesque, his actions are in many ways reprehensible. He is very good at what he does, which means that other characters are frightened of him. He's not a very realistic character, but it is internally consistent that he terrifies others, and that as a result they don't want to fight him.

If you want to talk about ridiculous Wire characters, though, I'd certainly give you Brother Mouzone. Not saying it's perfect. :)

Anyway, erm, this is getting a bit off-topic so I'll shut up about other television shows now.

I gave this episode a 7, that's the lowest I've rated an episode. I did enjoy the Theon and Asha scenes. Jon's scenes were ripped apart a little, but I'm hoping his scenes and parts will come together. I think eventually he will have to fight Quorin. I just didn't like how he was captured and then he runs into Quorin who is also captured by the wildings, I liked how they were evading capture together in the books and then they are forced to fight once cornered.

Plus, no Weasel Soup :(. But Arya's chapters are okay, they still capture her character correctly in my view. But they make Tywin appear way to kind and easy going, when in actuality he is a cold hearted bastard who would've had Arya executed if he had the slightest idea of her being a Stark.

Tyrions scenes are ok, but they are whitewashing him too much.

Also, they made Catelyn look more ridiculous when she freed Jaime. She was never shown recieiving news of Bran and Rickons 'death' in the books, therefore giving her more incentive to get her only remaining children back, maybe Arya and Sansa. So they made her look more irrational because they didn't show that in the show.

Easily the worst episode of the season for me, I gave it a 5. It's just frankly getting boring to the point where I'm not even that excited when Sunday rolls around each week. And it's making me realize just how flawed the books are in terms of moving all the storylines forward. That bothered me reading the books but for some reason it's bothering me even more with the tv series. You can see them painfully trying to stretch and fill in scenes just to give certain characters something to do, like Robb, Jon, and Daenerys. Love Maise Williams but her character has also gotten boring. They've basically done nothing (or at least the same thing) for the entire season. I really wish the show runners would depart even more radically from the books in order to form a tight, cohesive plot for all the characters because it is just not working for me. Yes, I know Blackwater is here, there will be more things happening this week, but it's been a disappointing season for me on the whole, with some good bits along the way.

Easily the worst episode of the season for me, I gave it a 5. It's just frankly getting boring to the point where I'm not even that excited when Sunday rolls around each week. And it's making me realize just how flawed the books are in terms of moving all the storylines forward. That bothered me reading the books but for some reason it's bothering me even more with the tv series. You can see them painfully trying to stretch and fill in scenes just to give certain characters something to do, like Robb, Jon, and Daenerys. Love Maise Williams but her character has also gotten boring. They've basically done nothing (or at least the same thing) for the entire season. I really wish the show runners would depart even more radically from the books in order to form a tight, cohesive plot for all the characters because it is just not working for me. Yes, I know Blackwater is here, there will be more things happening this week, but it's been a disappointing season for me on the whole, with some good bits along the way.

Daenerys, I wish I could 'like' this post twice. Although I've enjoyed the actual series (all tastes differ), I have to agree with your brave statement on here that hints at the source material being flawed. Any adaptation can only be as strong or as weak as its source material, and although I love the story within the books (when it can be picked out amongst the tedious padding), I do think the books' structure (multiple POVs etc) hampers adaptation. The books are dreadfully flawed - that doesn't mean I don't like them, but just standing back objectively, reading as a writer and being really strict, works wonders for perspective.

I really liked it. Took off points for changing of Catelyn's motivation in freeing the boys, and, to a much lesser extent, Robb's impetus to sleeping with Jeyne/Talysa - not that a 17 year old boy needs much impetus really. I'll judge Robb's motivations more fully come the marriage. It's mainly Cat the bothers me. But hey, show Cat character has been bothering me since the first season, so there's nothing new here.

I liked the pacing of the episode. I know a lot of people found it slow, and I can see why they would, but I liked the slow character driven pace. It's something that was sorely missing in the first 5 episodes of this season, imo. If I have one comment about the pace, is that I think a character driven ep like this one would have worked better with audiences earlier on in the season. That the reason people are so impatient with it is that it came at a time when people expect the pace to rise, and the tension to continue to heighten leading into the final two episode crescendo. Taken as a standalone ep however, I thought it was very well done, and worthy of a very solid 8.

I really wish the show runners would depart even more radically from the books in order to form a tight, cohesive plot for all the characters because it is just not working for me.

I agree with this statement. I do feel that the show runners are too faithful to the books, in terms of pacing and point progression. I too wish that they were braver in telling the story, perhaps by viewing all the books as one, and restructuring it in a way that would tell a tighter more cohesive tale. But I also know that it would be for them to do that at this point. This story is unfinished, there are still 2 more books worth of a story to be told. Not knowing exactly where the story is going - beyond what I assume is very broad strokes - how could they possibly be more adventurous in editing it?

Edited by Sun

Episodes 6, 7 & 8 were all just so-so. Maddeningly inconsistent, with moments of excellence and others of sheer dullness.

I'm not feeling the North: the Fist of the First Men is not at all how I pictured it. Strike that. Doesn't much matter how I picture it, or whether it's picture-perfect, as long as it translates on screen. It's nowhere near close enough to how GRRM described it. It's supposed to be a rugged, relatively inhospitable boreal forest, not some arctic wasteland. It doesn't help that I never liked the Jon arc in the first place, let alone what they've done with Ygritte & the Halfhand.

And at least we'll be able to easily fast-forward through the Robb-Talisa scenes on the BluRay (cable OnDemand's ff sucks).

Episodes 6, 7 & 8 were all just so-so. Maddeningly inconsistent, with moments of excellence and others of sheer dullness.

I'm not feeling the North: the Fist of the First Men is not at all how I pictured it. Strike that. Doesn't much matter how I picture it, or whether it's picture-perfect, as long as it translates on screen. It's nowhere near close enough to how GRRM described it. It's supposed to be a rugged, relatively inhospitable boreal forest, not some arctic wasteland. It doesn't help that I never liked the Jon arc in the first place, let alone what they've done with Ygritte & the Halfhand.

While Coster-Waldau is doing a fine job, I'm ambivalent about how they handled the escape attempt & his release, especially when considered in tandem with he somewhat bizarre changes elsewhere. Maybe it'll seem better after further viewings.

And at least we'll be able to easily skip the Robb-Talisa scenes on the BluRay (OnDemand tv's fastforward sucks).

• 4 months later...