[BOOK SPOILERS] Jaime & Brienne

On the main discussion thread about Ep 8, someone posted this summary of Episode 10:-

"Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin."

"Brienne silences Jaime" does not sound like they get captured - but it could very easily be a cryptic summary of the pursuit scene, as he is "silenced' by her prompt and effective action.

I hope so! WIth Tywin = Arya now gone, we desperately need the J/B banter and relaitonship to provide a touch of humour an amongst all that grimness.

I agree that the Jaime / Brienne dialogue is one area that the book can come to life on screen very well and they're doing a fantastic job of it. I am one of those who loved the Tywin / Arya dialogue additions even if it was a complete change of the story because I felt like they presented it in a way Martin himself could have written it and it worked. The relationship between Brienne and Jaime is one that many hold dear and is absolutely important to be played out. They have great actors for it and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Also, I think they're going to cut down the trip quite a bit. Possibly show the 'dueling' brawl and capture for the season finale though I'm not sure how they'll squeeze in all of it including Jaime losing his hand, but that's only one of many scenes I can think of will make a terrific season end cliffhanger.

Probably the best part of the episode for me (I found it mostly boring). Jaime <3

It's too early, though. What's he gonna do all of season 3? He's released before the battle of Blackwater? Jaime doesn't arrive at King's Landing until after Joffrey's death. He will stroll around the riverlands, get captured, get amputated, and rescue Brienne from some harm (hopefully from a bear pit... lol yeah right), but I don't know if that's enough to fill a season. Ah, I'm sure they'll just make shit up, the Zany Adventures of Brienne and Jaime. ;) And hell... I'd watch that!

I was thinking about that too, because when I re-read, I noticed that their journey isn't actually that long, but I think they can make a bunch of scenes out of the small things that happen on the way to Harrenhall. In a single POV chapter, there are a few different episodes that can be fleshed out into different scenes across 1-2 episodes.

They definitely like to end season premieres with cliffhangers or "shocking" scenes, so I think that if Jaime doesn't lose his hand in the finale, it will be the end of the first episode of season 3. The river duel will hopefully be in this season's finale (not Blackwater, because it looks as though that's going to be all battle).

Their interactions together are absolutely perfect! It could use a little more name-calling (WENCH), but the actors are so brilliant together I don't even care.

They definitely like to end season premieres with cliffhangers or "shocking" scenes, so I think that if Jaime doesn't lose his hand in the finale, it will be the end of the first episode of season 3. The river duel will hopefully be in this season's finale (not Blackwater, because it looks as though that's going to be all battle). Their interactions together are absolutely perfect! It could use a little more name-calling (WENCH), but the actors are so brilliant together I don't even care.

I think it's more likely he lose his hand at the end of season 3, he need his hand during the roadtrip and can't suffer the hole time of a wound

Even though it may have been the shortest scene in the episode, it was my favourite. Both actors are just perfect for those roles. Also - and I'm not one of those trolls who throws hissy fits about any deviation from the book, but - it felt like it came straight out of the book.

Jaime's arc for Season 2 will end with his hand getting chopped off. It's too good of a cliffhanger to pass up on, and it seems to be at the perfect pace to happen in episode 10.

i feel like that's such a good start to an arc though. It would be an excellent scene early in episode one. start off with a shocker

i feel like that's such a good start to an arc though. It would be an excellent scene early in episode one. start off with a shocker

I bet they will end Episode 10 with HotU and Dany, paralleling her role in the fire scene to end Season 1.

I reckon we get a bit of the J/B river trip in Ep 10, but nothing else. There is no reason for the writers to bring the Jaime / Brienne journey forward any more than they have by showing the loss of his hand now. As I said earlier, that scene is TV gold, and I can't see them wasting it at the end of Season 2 - they need it to take the J/B story onwards in Season 3. If they have the loss of his hand as the cliffhanger ending to Ep 1 of Season 3, it will also provide a rather neat story symmetry with the ending of Ep 1 in Season 1, where Jaime shoves Bran out the window.

The funniest part was seeing the two of them squeeze into that canoe especially with her supposedly in plate armor. I guess they couldn't afford a dinghy with even just a tiny little sail. At least they didn't have them floating down the river on innertubes.

I was thinking about that too, because when I re-read, I noticed that their journey isn't actually that long, but I think they can make a bunch of scenes out of the small things that happen on the way to Harrenhall. In a single POV chapter, there are a few different episodes that can be fleshed out into different scenes across 1-2 episodes.

There's always a chance they can create some "extra" stuff, much like this scene was (we don't see them actually launch in the book.) I was thinking that Jaime's hand falling off would be the cliffhanger for this season, but now I'm not so sure.

There's PLENTY of banter/insults to go between them for a full scene, before Brienne sees dead bodies hanging from a tree near the tavern and stops to bury them; or they skip the dead @ the tavern & go straight to the chase. That oughtta be a good, action-packed scene, if they do it right. Just when it looks like they'll be caught & the Kingslayer re-taken, Brienne saves the day. And rather than clubbing her with the oar, Jaime surprises everyone by helping her back into the canoe. They insult/banter a bit more, then sail on around the corner - - see you in S3!

As I've been saying elsewhere, sometimes "less is more" with some of these characters/stories. With Jaime & Brienne, MORE is more, and very, very welcome in my book! :)

As I've been saying elsewhere, sometimes "less is more" with some of these characters/stories. With Jaime & Brienne, MORE is more, and very, very welcome in my book! :)

:agree:

Jaime and Brienne were by far my favourite bit of the episode. I have to echo what others have already said, but this scene really stood out to me as just having the right feeling that I get from the books. To be honest, *very*few scenes in the TV series have giving me that feeling. I must praise the casting in this case, which was so spot on it is almost scary, and the acting from both of them. :bowdown:

I have to echo what others have already said, but this scene really stood out to me as just having the right feeling that I get from the books. To be honest, *very*few scenes in the TV series have giving me that feeling. I must praise the casting in this case, which was so spot on it is almost scary, and the acting from both of them.

Agreed. Casting is perfect, we can already see that Nik & Gwen have the right chemistry. And I love that they're using canon phrases here & there with these two ("you're as boring/tedious as you are ugly", LOL!)

Makes me optimistic that they'll put the right effort into writing for them and get them exactly right, as I've always pictured them in my mind.

Meh. I never liked them much in the books and that holds true for the show. I hated that Ned and Robb died and yet Jaime and Cersei got to live on. I'm honestly still holding out hope that Catelyn/stoneheart gives him what he deserves. Though I can already tell that Martin likes Jaime way too much for that to happen. Both are well cast, but I'm not really looking forward to Jaime's "redemption"....

This was the moment I simply couldn't control my fangirl side :drool: ; finally a teaser of what we'll see of them next season! I liked their interaction, there's an appropriate chemistry between the actors. And, lol! She's taller than him! :eek:

Archived