[book spoilers] ARYA. discuss.

um so no weasel soup -- like i predicted. use of the third name to help her escape instead of having her kill the guard and get the coin. no coin (yet, still holding out hope for the last episode) -- and she names Jaqen in a totally weird way -- hey can you kill tywin now? no, ok please kill yourself. no, ok help me escape instead of any of that. umm cool.

this is basically how i figured it would work out if my worst scenario came true. i. am. pissed.

arya-lovers, i'm talking to you -- what did you think?

I can't believe Tywin would just leave a highborn girl there like that. He knows an Arya Stark is missing, and there is a mysterious girl of highborn status living at Harrenhal, and he just leaves her there...OK. And yes, no Weasel soup was sad.

i figure they must meet too -- if only b/c the last episode is called valar morghulis. and maybe you're right re: taking the name back, but i think she sort of already did. but maybe she has to do more explicitly -- whatever, i'm for it all the way. and yes, he does have to change his face etc. i knew they would sanitize her and have her not kill anyone -- i totally said this would happen a few weeks ago. no tickler, no guard, no killing people during the yoren take down -- it's like d&d don't want her to go through with her story arc -- which is, um hi -- killing people.

edit: wow. i must've been seeing red when i wrote this b/c those were some heinous grammatical errors.

Don't fret, the title of episode ten guarantees that she will run into Jaqen again.

Obviously bummed that we don't get any Weasel soup but I don't really think anybody should be too surprised. That would have required more set up and we haven't had much of that at Harrenhal. The scenes have been restricted to Arya/Tywin and Arya/Jaqen and not much else.

I can't believe Tywin would just leave a highborn girl there like that. He knows an Arya Stark is missing, and there is a mysterious girl of highborn status living at Harrenhal, and he just leaves her there...OK. And yes, no Weasel soup was sad.
Um, why does he know Arya Stark is missing??

Get over it - how can you have Weasel soup when we have not seen the northmen in the dungeons? And Arya has never been Weasel? We have not seen leaders of the northmen at Harrenhall. We know they have prisoners but not who they are. Arya has made no connection with them.

The Arya portion of the show made perfect sense to me. Now they will escape, meet up with Dondarrian's outlaws and the Arya events leading up to the Red Wedding will probably follow the book to a certain extent. I am still holding out hope that when Jaqen gives her the coin she chooses to go with him to train at the House of Black and White as he invites her to do. That would move her story along and maybe even get it in front of the books. The events before she gets on the ship don't make much sense now (except she needs to get Needle back, so maybe the Inn scene with the Hound will make it into the HBO show)

I don't have a problem with them cutting out the weasel soup so much as I wish they would have shown her kill at least one guard on her way out of Harrenhal. The whole Harrenhal experience represents a complete and total loss of innocence for Arya...just not feeling it in the series. One Lannister throat slash, cut to Arya staring at the bloody knife for a second, and then she continues on her way without so much as a glance back. That would have done volumes for her character

However, I DID love where Jaqen accuses a girl of having no honor and Arya just shrugs it off. Honor seems to get a man killed in Westeros...it is known.

yes. thank you. not killing the guard is the main fail. i ranted last week that weasel soup was getting left out. so no, not surprised. she's an assassin who doesn't kill anyone? what is she going to do? become a baker with hot pie?

Get over it - how can you have Weasel soup when we have not seen the northmen in the dungeons? And Arya has never been Weasel? We have not seen leaders of the northmen at Harrenhall. We know they have prisoners but not who they are. Arya has made no connection with them.

The Arya portion of the show made perfect sense to me. Now they will escape, meet up with Dondarrian's outlaws and the Arya events leading up to the Red Wedding will probably follow the book to a certain extent. I am still holding out hope that when Jaqen gives her the coin she chooses to go with him to train at the House of Black and White as he invites her to do. That would move her story along and maybe even get it in front of the books. The events before she gets on the ship don't make much sense now (except she needs to get Needle back, so maybe the Inn scene with the Hound will make it into the HBO show)

i hate this scenario. and no, i didn't expect weasel soup w/o northerners thanks for the vote of confidence though. b/c yea i'm that stupid. this is a discussion arya lovers have been having for weeks. about whether there was time for northerners to be brought in -- lots of people thought yes that tywin would leave early in the episode and the episode would end with northerners -- i thought this was unlikely, but held out hope. also, while i had been grooming myself for this for awhile (see below), i am more upset that she's been totally sanitized. jaqen helped her escape like she couldn't have done it on her own -- and she is supposed to be able to do it on her own, and to do what needs to be done to get out.

rant: of all the things to leave out, weasel soup?!? weasel soup?!? that's the reason jaqen gives her the coin b/c he respects her and thinks she could make a great assassin someday (aww how sweet) -- but in the preview for next episode she distinctly tells jaqen "you have to kill him now" which probably refers to tywin -- b/c tywin is leaving -- which presents a weird problem for the jaqen storyline -- if he agrees, then tywin dies now and doesnt do everything he is supposed to do which doesnt make any sense - and if jaqen refuses, then it goes against his whole you pick a name and the deed will be done thing, which doesnt make sense either. also, it would mean that weasel soup is very friggin unlikely. ugh. as much as i love those scenes, i feel like they shouldve had him leave last episode at the latest and had the northern prisoners brought in.

How couldn't he? The rest of the Lannisters in KL do, and people tell Tywin things.

They also don't send messages through a war zone which could be intercepted, particularly when it reduces their leverage against their enemies. King's Landing is locked down for the siege, and they don't want the world knowing they lost one of their most valuable hostages.

From a plot perspective, weasel soup wasn't that important; once the Northern POWs were written out of Harrenhall, weasel soup became irrelevant.

From a character development standpoint, Arya killing the guard was more important (as it's her first true 'murder', and puts her on the dark path she follows), but again - it's not essential. I don't like the way that she's more of a bystander in her own escape, but at the same time, it lets her character keep her innocence a little longer. That has its own potential going forward. I'd call this a lateral change.

The weasel soup was obvious that would not happen, mainly because Arya, at the series, was never known as Weasel.

Arya + Jaqen worked greatly. It was a bit funny, it made sense, she was pissed (for not having time to kill Tywin).

By the way, Maisie Williams deserves an Emmy indication. Great job as Arya.

I'm not so dissapointed about weasal soup or that Arya didn't kill someone (the show has been very diligent about not giving kids and dwarves the superpowers they had in the book, which I totally agree with) but I was hoping the kill would be a little cooler. Someone brought up that they might not really be out of harranhall yet and that maybe something cool will happen outside the gate. I hope so b/c that would otherwise be kind of an anticlimatic end to Arya's arc.

Although she has had a descent amount of screen time, this season has been as void of characterisation for Arya as it has for Sansa. Both girls have had the developments in their stories and personalities removed. Ayra became the ghost in Harrenhal and Weasel Soup and her killing a Guard and basically manipulating Gendry and Hot Pie to leave with her, were huge steps in her development. They have been completely removed and it now appears that she just has saviours who swoop in and rescue her (the scene where Tywin works out she's a girl and makes her the cupbearer for example). Arya has been saved by Yoren etc, but she also used her initiative in Harrenhal and it developed her personality.

Archived