[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

Also, Joffrey has a regent (first Ned for 10 seconds then his mother) . It's hard to believe a 17 yo would need a regent yet Jaimie was knighted at 16 (previous episode)

Why not? Being a knight means way less responsibility than being a King.

It's this way in the books, anyway. The age of majority in the books is 16, yet people can be knighted at an younger age (Jaime for example).

Castlery Rock has a sewage system that goes to the sea an the Mighty Tywin who puts Tyrion in charge - he might hate Tyrion for the childbirth death of his wife but he is a Lannister not a commoner

That comes straight from the books. Tyrion mentions it in ADwD.

1. The Robb/Talisa plot is wrong on so many levels I am not going to bother going into details.

2. We were robbed of the weasel soup!

3. Eddard told Robb that a man can only be brave when afraid? Wrong, he said it to Brandon. And if he did not say it in the 1st episode of the 1st season, we do not need to hear those lines at all.

4. Shae can read? That is one educated prostitute. Same for Bronn (only he is a sellsword, not a prostitute, that is).

I miss Sansa and Dontos. :(

What happened to the plot with Tyrion poisoning Cersei? Tyrion opening asked Pycelle for what I thought was a diuretic, and then the plot was dropped.

no Cersei poisoning (why show him getting the drug from Pycelle in the first place???)

:agree:

- - Tulisa CPR slave was like WTF probably she can do a triple bypass on Karstark after his heartattack having heard of his son death and the Kingslayers escape -

I think it is supposed to represent something similar to the the iron borns rebirthing thing. Though if i am not mistaken drowning victims need mouth to mouth not heart compressions, though I could be mistaken there. I could do without the modern day references like this and dislexia

Can't tell if serious :stillsick: ... (You do realize that Sansa's screentime in this entire season must be all of 20 minutes, right?)

Oh, I am serious. See, there are characters that are evil in the books. And yet they are interesting and a good read. Like Roose Bolton, for example. Sansa is not evil, but she is a terrible read to me. She's the most boring POV in the books. Her story has never been compelling, in my opinion. And television has not improved it any.

I agree with Wyman Manderly's post #182.

Roose saw a lost cause in Robb and that could have possibly made him more open to Tywin's plan. However, it is also possible that Roose had been looking for an opportunity from the start and just saw a little bit of an openingt and took it.

Oh, I am serious. See, there are characters that are evil in the books. And yet they are interesting and a good read. Like Roose Bolton, for example. Sansa is not evil, but she is a terrible read to me. She's the most boring POV in the books. Her story has never been compelling, in my opinion. And television has not improved it any.

for me Sansa's POV are quite interesting. for one you get alot of discussion on plot, scheming, results of campaigns, news etc. Plus her POV is so true to life in that she really is just a young teenage girl. I loved how they had her gushing over Ser Loras on the way to the QoT's luncheon.

I'd rather have more of Sansa's story (as a POV character) than be subjected to LF's little teleporting adventures around Westeros anymore. He spends half his scenes as a pimp or grinning evilly. That's not compelling television to me. Especially since he spends a fair amount of time with Westeros #1 prostitute Ros. At least he's been gone a while.

[sarcasm/ ]

LF missed the last 2 episodes since he was getting tatooed in Qarth and plotting with the XXD and PP to kill the Spice King and the other 10 of the 13 so he could open a franchize of his brothels in Qarth as a wave of opening Qarth to the world [/sarcasm]

- Shae reads a book waiting for Tyrion

Bloody hell....I said the same thing!!! WTF?

nobody can see Osha lurking during daytime inside Winterfell - she has an invisibility cloack/ spell

Again, what kind of stupidity is this?? Would never happen.

Robb going down with the ER chick - fuck the frey bridge and my army i need to get laid tonight with this Volantis (yet not Blonde/silver haired) medicine wooman that had a brother with a near death experience

Love the point about her coloring... :cheers:

We've only begun this topic, but I find it a good one...Sansa and Sandor.

Overall I also found Sansa dull and insipid in the books, but the series had me feeling differently. I think it was SerMixalot who gave Sophie Turner props for her portrayal, which I thought started out meh last season but has really broken forth well this season. She gives the character depth and even a bit of- dare I say it- intelligence and fortitude....which I don't think even GRRM managed to pull off with her.

That being said, the Hound....ugh. Too gentle. Too quiet. Too noble. Too sober. Their scenes together are vital to set up their parting in KL, which will now fall flat and the non-reading audience will be like WTF?? Where'd that come from? That whole "killing is the sweetest thing there is" scene blew on so many levels. Yes, it's from the book, which is more than I can say for other scenes, but aside from that it really irked me that she called him "Ser" and he didn't correct her- we all know how prickly he is about that. Secondly, the tenderness!!! Like when he rescued her- "You're all right now, little bird..."- WTF?? And no drinking??? Those scenes she encounters him drunk are so important to understand his character and get a clue as to how he feels about her. They're trying to get the same effect by making him more obviously tender towards her and it bloody fucking doesn't work, b/c it's completely contrary to his character. Same thing with that ridiculous "you'll be glad of the things I do..blah blah" which we're supposed to see as jealousy, I guess.

And this is really nitpicking, but his voice is a big disappointment, too. That "killing is the sweetest thing there is" line sounded....melifluous. Shakespearean. WHERE IS THE RASP???

I'm done.

2. We were robbed of the weasel soup!

:agree: Arya staying the same through out the season bothers me. Call me a purist, but I think the devil is in the details and Arya slipping into those different roles are a nice touch and foreshadowing for her time in Bravos.

Robb: What? I can understand him marrying Jeyne Westerling... A Volantene? No way. He's his father's son for crying out loud!

Jon: Must have taken some brain damage from when Craster gave him a beating. This is the future LC of the NW? Seven save us!

Dany: Y U SO HELPLESS?

Come to think of it, the development of most of the characters has taken a dive into helplessness.

3. Eddard told Robb that a man can only be brave when afraid? Wrong, he said it to Brandon. And if he did not say it in the 1st episode of the 1st season, we do not need to hear those lines at all.

I actually really liked this part - the scene still resonated with me. It seems like something he'd have said to Robb too.

- Osha stealing food in the middle of the day with Theon just right there. Contrived way to have Luwin figure it out. Just...bad.

- I didn't mind Tyrion's scene with Shae...it just felt a bit out of nowhere. Like his feelings seem to come out of nowhere, we haven't seen them spend that much time together so eh. It's needed for future plot developments but it felt a little out of the blue.

- I was expecting VOLANTIS HOTTIE to be Jeyne with the Crag mentions...but she's not? Or she's lying. I don't mind her not being Jeye but the romance is a bit cheesy.

- Dany scene didn't need to be in there. Not at all. Also Jorah telling her to leave the dragons? Ehhh. Wat.

A couple of things:

• I am just as displeased as most posters with Robb/Talisa-Jeyne. It makes a lot of sense that the writers were involved with Troy.. and that just crushes most hope I have for future episodes.

• The timing on everything just feels wrong. Its like they forgot to have Tyrion plan for the defense of Kings Landing in earlier episodes, and will rush it in this and the next. (Also it seems like they're going to make Tyrion take more of the credit for wildfire; his "pigshit" comment was a "eureka" moment that Cersei already had.)

• Again with the timing, news of Bran and Rickon's "deaths" should have reached Robb and Cat sooner. It would make more sense for their stupid decision making. My non-book-reading family asked me "Why did she do that? Why did she free him?" and are under the impression she's just kinda dumb. It was rushed and not well explained, and Karstark really put her in her place.

• I don't know how people are going to be devastated come the RW, because Robb just seems like a brat.

• Why is Bronn suddenly the "smart" one? They're downplaying Tyrion's intelligence.

• Arya is so much less badass.

• No Sansa??

• Does it seem like they picked a really bad locale for the north of the wall shots? My non-book-reading friends and family were very confused as to why Brown-toothed-Sam, Dolorous and Grenn were digging seemingly in the middle of no where. Once they get some movement into the Frostfangs, I could understand the barren, snowy terrain. They need some trees or something now though. I mean, c'mon.

• I don't care for Dany's khalasar becoming basically non-existent.

• Seriously, wtf happened to Sam's teeth?

Also, I know it wasn't in this episode, but if they had flayed the faces and put them in tar as per book, and left the Stark Direwolf on their clothes (instead of burned beyond recognition) I think it would have been just as vile without my having to explain to non-book readers who the kids are supposed to be. They just didn't get it.

This episode was about average and it felt like not much happened. This might have been to get the "calm before the storm" effect, but if so it was done poorly. We needed Weasel Soup and contrary to what I've been saying all season I think the HOTU was needed in this episode as well. That would've given it some oomph, but it really felt like a filler episode. Specific nitpicks:

• I don't like Robb and Cat not knowing about Bran and Rickon's "deaths". It completely changes their motivations and makes them look even more idiotic than they were in the books.
  • Speaking of Robb, I hate Talisa. And now it looks like she isn't even Jeyne at all. She goes to the Crag without any reveal and that story about her brother sounded pretty sincere. Why couldn't they just have taken the story that was in the books? BLEEEEAAAAARGH!
  • No weasel soup! Arya's only murdered one person in the series so far!
  • First they botch Bran and Rickon's fake deaths, now they botch the reveal. Couldn't that wait until episode 10? It would've been great. I think they might be moving the Sack of Winterfell to S3.
  • Useless Dany scene! Bah!
  • While I liked Tyrion and Cersei in it, the Ros scene didn't work overall. For most of the season I agreed with them cutting the Alayaya plot but now I think they should've left it in so that scene made sense.

just think the show has been dumbed down beyond recognition...

the motivations of cat and robb are weak and uninspired without them hearing about bran and rickon

osha stealing food in the middle of the day is just lazy writing and utter lack of creativity

jon is now the 4th stooge

arya lack of violence and role changing stilts her character and makes her much less interesting... the actress playing her has made HBO arya who she is with no help from the creative staff...

dany's scenes could basically just be shot in one take and replayed for each episode she is to appear in...

robb and talisa is boring, cliche and filler for a character (robb) who I thought they started to develop in an impressive way...

I'm sticking with the show but am very disappointed with the direction it has taken this season

It sucks how Sansa, a POV character, is getting hardly any time whatsoever. Even if you don't like Sansa, it's totally possible to appreciate her POVs, considering she was one of our only "inside sources" at KL that wasn't a Lannister. Her POVs were always extremely insightful. And I love Sansa, regardless of all the hate she gets on here.

Also the conversations between Sandor and Sansa were essential character building for both characters and their motivations in later books. Given the Tywin / Arya scenes, we will hopefully get the Sandor character building next season. Sansa might be a bit more difficult as she made a point of not interacting with Tyrion.

They could have easily fit in some San/San last episode. Completely take out Robb and Talisa's scene (okay, like 75% of it) and Dany's scene and there would have been plenty of time to build up more a relationship between the two. Or at least Sansa. Or something with Sansa!

Archived