[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

What grates me is how... underwhelming the whole Talisa angle is. If I recall from the books, Robb is injured after taking a castle, grief-stricken by his best friend killing his baby brothers, and only then caves in to his "urges" with the nice, kind girl treating his wounds and giving a shoulder to lean on.

That's a cool plot hook. It's a mix of tragic and intriguing, and breeds a suitably epic "oh fuck" kind of reaction. How badass would that be, if translated properly onto TV? Why seed some silly cliché love story to begin with, when we could instead focus on the Young Wolf rubbing shoulders with motherfuckers like Roose Bolton and Karstark? It would've made his arc (he barely gets screentime as it is) much more interesting, remove the weakest plot point of S2, and translate one of the most shocking moments from the books onto TV to... pretty much the same effect.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of Talisa. She's not a bad actress, and she's certainly beautiful, but her role (hot battlefield medic who talks shit to the king; it turns out she's a highborn lady; tells a sob story and gets off with Richard Madden) is piss poor. Precisely the sort of thing GRRM wanted to avoid.

No coin from Jaquen and no chains from Tyrion... I think those are TWO big things that they are really skipping out on. I know the last episode can bring in the coin from Jaquen, but what the frig happened with the chain? That was soooo HUGE in the books. I don't even want to watch next week, because it all seems ludicrious by now!

I still have high hopes for the chain. I think it's meant to be a surprise to the viewer as it will be for Davos...that they're going for a big shock moment.

I feel like an idiot but it was a surprise in the books too for me, but at least it wasn't out of the blue.

I really hope they don't make Davos responsible for falling in the chain+wildfire trap though.

I usually dont nit pick and take an episode for someone elses interpretation... however....

- Talisa's story was the first time I have checked the timing to see how far of the episode was left / tried to skip ahead...

- It seemed to me during the sex scene that Rob may have... arrived a little early, only causing me to laugh at the whole scene

- Rattleshirt is no where near as cool as I had imagined, in writing 'lord of bones' creates quite a powerful figure in ones mind... on screen, hes just another bearded irishman with cheap looking armour

- Yay jamie... having a hard time believing screen Jamie is starting the path of redemption, however happy he's getting some air time

My biggest nitpick is Ayra's scenes. Some of this was conveyed, but not enough, and I think they could have done better.

Looking at weasel soup in the book, and stopping before Jaqen glamors into a different face and gives her the coin, since that's where they stopped in this episode, but picking up where she escapes, since they included that:

The last death has to count, Arya told herself every night when she whispered her names. But now she wondered if that was truly the reason she had hesitated. So long as she could kill with a whisper, Arya need not be afraid of anyone . . . but once she used up the last death, she would only be a mouse again.

We see Arya is still whispering the names at night. Jaqen's presence has given her courage. She doesn't want to feel powerless again.

There, beneath rotting wood and twisted splintered branches, she found her hidden sword...

Whenever she had a free hour she stole away to work at the drills Syrio had taught her, moving barefoot over the fallen leaves, slashing at branches and whacking down leaves.

Arya still loves sword fighting, and she remembers the lessons Syrio taught her. This continues her season 1 character development.

She clasped her hands together. Help me, you old gods , she prayed silently. Help me get those men out of the dungeon so we can kill Ser Amory, and bring me home to Winterfell. Make me a water dancer and a wolf and not afraid again, ever.

Arya still remembers her father, her family, and her home. We see this may always be a big part of her identity (remember that later, she can't part with Needle because of all it represents to her). This shows how much it meant to her when Jon Snow gave her Needle in season 1.

"How did you know I was here?"

"A man sees. A man hears. A man knows."

Jaqen is teaching her lessons, like Syrio. She is still learning.

"It's Jaqen H'ghar."

Even in the burning barn, with walls of flame towering all around and him in chains, he had not seemed so distraught as he did now.

Why was he so distraught? Why not just glamor and say Jaqen is dead? Maybe he can't, because this is the real him. He seemed to be comfortable to the point of enjoying his appearance ("handsome", taking time to wash and scent his "red and white and shiny" hair, "girls giggling to each other in admiration", long baths).

"A girl will weep. A girl will lose her only friend."

"You're not my friend. A friend would help me." She stepped away from him, balanced on the balls of her feet in case he threw his knife. "I'd never kill a friend."

Jaqen's smile came and went. "A girl might . . . name another name then, if a friend did help?"

"A girl might," she said. "If a friend did help."

The word "friend" is mentioned six times during a brief exchange. Unless GRRM throws words around for no reason, this friendship matters to them.

Jaqen smiled disarmingly. "A prisoner must eat too."

Jaqen is showing Arya how it's done.

"A girl will stay out of the way," he told her...

"A girl should be bloody too. This is her work."

He's also showing her the consequences.

"The debt is paid," Arya agreed reluctantly. She felt a little sad. Now she was just a mouse again.

Will she stay a mouse?

Alone, she slid through the shadow of the Tower of Ghosts. She walked fast, to keep ahead of her fear, and it felt as though Syrio Forel walked beside her, and Yoren, and Jaqen H'ghar, and Jon Snow...

His throat, it must be his throat, but he's too tall, I'll never reach it. For a moment she did not know what to say. For a moment she was a little girl again, and scared, and the rain on her face felt like tears.

"He told me to give all his guards a silver piece, for their good service." The words seemed to come out of nowhere.

She's calling on what she has learned from the men who "walked beside her" above. What she did with the guard is the sort of approach she saw Jaqen use.

"Valar morghulis," she whispered as he died.

She's not a mouse anymore.

No coin from Jaquen and no chains from Tyrion... I think those are TWO big things that they are really skipping out on. I know the last episode can bring in the coin from Jaquen, but what the frig happened with the chain? That was soooo HUGE in the books. I don't even want to watch next week, because it all seems ludicrious by now!

i figure they are replacing the chain with pig shit

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly.

I'm particularly disappointed at how whiney Dany is coming across. My non-book reader friends can't stand her and have dubbed her "whinerys". Which is just so apt in this show ffs. I never disliked her THIS MUCH in the books. Doesn't help the actress is just so bad at acting.

I'm feeling glass half empty today so excuse my negative bias.

I feel like an idiot but it was a surprise in the books too for me, but at least it wasn't out of the blue. I really hope they don't make Davos responsible for falling in the chain+wildfire trap though.

It makes one wonder why Stannis would make Davos his hand after the assault on KL fails when he leads the attack and suggested Mel stay away.

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. I'm particularly disappointed at how whiney Dany is coming across. My non-book reader friends can't stand her and have dubbed her "whinerys". Which is just so apt in this show ffs. I never disliked her THIS MUCH in the books. Doesn't help the actress is just so bad at acting. I'm feeling glass half empty today so excuse my negative bias.

the glass is ALWAYS full, half with water half with air

BTW I had to giggle with Dany looking through the fence. Exactly what was she looking for? Her dragons? hmmm wonder if they are on the other side of this clapboard fence?

For me, the best part about this episode is that Sansa was not in it. God!, I'm glad we got a break from Sansa. Since they're making changes from the books, I wish they would just kill off Sansa Stark. She's not as bad as she is in the books. Especially since she didn't rat out her father like she did in the books. But, I still find her extremely annoying.

The changes to Jon Snow are just far above and beyond what I can stomach. They producers/writers/directors have no clue who the character is.

He just seems like some lost guy running around in the snow.

Archived