[BOOK SPOILERS] Which 3 men did Jamie mean?

I think the Cleganes for sure. The third? My money is on the Red Viper but most everybody on the main thread think it's Barristan the Bold. I do think that would make sense since in the last episode they changed the Kingswood Brotherhood story to Barristan instead of Ser Arthur Dayne.

eta: For the record, in the books Jaime's inner monologue has him thinking something similar to this when he realizes Brienne is stronger than him. He thinks to himself on who else might be stronger than him. He comes up with the Cleganes, Robert, the Greatjon, and Strongboar.

This show thinks Loras Tyrell is some sort of peerless swordsman. It will be 3 random characters they introduce from the top of their heads.

This. They probably didn't give that comment much thought. Could be Lancel, Kettleblack, and Moon Boy for all we know...

One is totally Barristan Selmy, does anyone else think show-Jaime has a little bit of a man crush on him?

Heh, totally. Last season Jaime stopped being snarky for a few minutes and told Selmy how he admired his fight with Simon Toyne. This season he shared a man moment with Alton about when he squired for Selmy. Well, a man moment until he smashed Alton's head in.

This question in the books is without doubt: Ser Loras, Ser Barristan the Bold, & The Mountain

If women were included, Brienne of Tarth

In the show, I think this will eventually be reflected, but it'd not important enough to slow down the plot line and explain exactly who can beat Jamie, especially since he was boasting to a woman warrior who bested Ser Loras (who unseated "The Mountain" in season 1).

All in all, my doubts against this season have been quelled by this episode. Changes made were revised in clever ways that changed things from the book in small ways but end up leaving me feel like every character is essentially the same type of person as in the book.

When Jamie explains to Brienne that only three others could give him a run for his money in a combat situation, who do you think he meant? Mine are: Ser Barristan the Bold, The Hound, and Oberyn Martell

In the show, Oberyn Martell is unistablished... & probably also in the books too.

I think he became a 3rd tier character in book 3. Oberyn is a challenge, but he is no renowned night. The Sword of Morning (who is dead at the hands of Ned, Reed, and 1 other I am forgetting who I think died in the encounter) is who you might be confusing Oberyn with.

Oberyn is someone I am looking forward to seeing in season 3, but I really doubt Jaime respects him as a challenge. Jaime is all about tourneys, unlike Ned Stark, who never fought in tourneys because he didn't want to display his moves in battle.

Oberyn is a different version of Ned Stark. Oberyn is next season's Ned, maybe. I think we may see a bigger cast role for him because of the duel with the mountain. They will if they are smart, because his role is only 1 season, and he is a sympathetic character that you want to see beat the hound, Joff, and the Lannisters minus Tyrion, of course.

"She is stronger than I am.

The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all."

-ASoS

judging from this quote, im guessing the 3 would have to be ser barristan selmy, oberyn martell, and im not too sure about the final one

Archived