[BOOK SPOILERS] Which 3 men did Jamie mean?

Tyrion sees them as a valuable ally because they are the only house who has not tried to kill a Lannister yet. Sure, Oberyn Martell plans on taking vengeance on the one who "splattered their queen's brain and her scion's brain on the walls of KL"... but Doran Martell is more patient. I like Doran because he is the opposite of Greyjoy. He is plotting wisely, any way, that he can deliver his family from backwater status. Remember: facts in the book declare that Dorne is the least populous kingdom of the realm, including the north.

Oh boy, even in the show Cersi establishes that the Martells HATE the Lannisters, it is a purely a strategic move to gain a valuable ally.

No, the discussion is about who Jaime was naming the big 3 who could kill him... not who we would rank as the best three.

I'm saying I think in the show "Game of Thrones" the character of Oberyn Martell will be painted as a great fighter, it is purely speculation on my part but based on what HBO has done so far I think it's a fair assumption. And he may be in show Jamie's mind, He did emphasize "in all of Westeros" so that would lead me to believe he was including someone from a far off place (Dorne)

No, the discussion is about who Jaime was naming the big 3 who could kill him... not who we would rank as the best three.

Right. And the Clegane Brothers are both Lannister Bannerman. Jaime is pretty familiar with what Gregor is capabale of and there is no way he's not on the list.

Jaime is also familiar with Sandor's prowess. The Hound was Cersei's bodyguard before being Joffrey's. I would bet Jaime and Sandor have sparred before. And Jaime saw Sandor fight the Mountain at the Tourney. Sandor is one of the three.

Selmy is the living legend and Jaimes idol. He's the third.

I can't think of anything Loras has done in the show or anything Jaime has said that would be evidence that Jaime thinks highly of his skill. He's doubtlessly more familiar with the reputation of his own bannerman.

Loras isn't one of the three.

1)Victarion Greyjoy- Has everyone forgotten about him.

2)Gregor Clegane- It seems everyone agrees

3)Sandor Clegane- Can't think of a third Jaime would know about.

Couldn't be Loras since Jaime doesn't start to respect him till AFFC.

Couldn't be modern barristan, he is too old to handle Jaime, maybe in his prime, but barristan always talks about how his skills are slowing, and Jaime would know and probably practiced with him.

Oberyn is not that respected as a fighter, people think he relies on poison and jaime despises combat without swords, hence his hatred of crossbows.

Oh boy, even in the show Cersi establishes that the Martells HATE the Lannisters, it is a purely a strategic move to gain a valuable ally. I'm saying I think in the show "Game of Thrones" the character of Oberyn Martell will be painted as a great fighter, it is purely speculation on my part but based on what HBO has done so far I think it's a fair assumption. And he may be in show Jamie's mind, He did emphasize "in all of Westeros" so that would lead me to believe he was including someone from a far off place (Dorne)

I think Oberyn Martell should be a "Hollywood star" cast. It's only 1 season, we want Joff and the mountain to die badly; but our hero will dye in brain crushing agony. There is no better part for a big Hollywood star to cast himself in an off-year in my opinion.

Game of thrones may yet be known as the series where your favorite actor always dies when you least expect or always dies. It matters not no me... I just want the Martells fairly represented.

1) Barristan "the Bold" Selmy

2) Gregor "the Mountain" Clegane

3) Sandor "the Hound" Clegane

While Loras is a skilled swordsman, he's predominantly a tourney knight not a hardened killer like the three men I've listed. Not to mention that he ends up taking a hot bath on his first major assignment in this war.

Barristan is old but I think he would still be considered one of the best knights.

Loras almost got ended by Gregor(can't remember if he had a sword with him or not), and he's more of a tourney guy. Also he's admitted to not being the best swordsman in his family. I'm also not sure how much time Jaime has spent around him to know if he's a good swordsman or not.

When he made that comment I took it as him meaning in a one on one swordfight. Not something like Oberyn vs The Mountain where you could choose your weopen. Also I don't recall Oberyn being well known as a great fighter.

I think the 3 would be Hound,Mountain and Baristan.

Definitely the Cleganes and Barristan.

Loras is good at swordfighting, but not incredible. He's better at jousting.

Oberyn is unknown as a fighter, at least at that time

And Barristan is not too old, he specifically says "Even now I could cut through the five of you like a piece of cake" to his fellow Kingsguards when he gets stripped of his rank. Some of it may be boasting(No one wins a fight against five serious swordsmen alone) but there must be some truth to it or he wouldn't say it.

It's funny, the second he said that a friend and I both looked at each other and said "I wonder who he's" talking about.

We figured by the way he said it, the men he was talking about are still alive. And not anybody of which we might be thinking.

So I'd say, garlan tyrell, blackfish, areo hotah.

I'm not joking at all. Remember that Jaime has been part of the world of knights since he was 16. He knows more than we do, and the fighting prowess of these three always seems to be hinted at in a "if you really knew anything you'd know this guy kills shit for a living, but you don't"

I think Jaime's comment in this episode is taken from one of his first chapters in ASOS (from whose content is based the material in this episode). When Jaime fights Brienne, he thinks:

She is stronger than I am. The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain’s strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman, to be sure, but even so ... by rights, she should be the one wearing down.

I'm going with:

Barristan Selmy: He was Jamie's idol when he was younger wasn't he?

Oberyn Martell: He's got the reputation of 'The Red Viper' and he's been fighting from when he was young

Gregor Clegane: Cersie picked him to fight in Tryion's trial, not Sandor so it would seem he's a better fighter. He's the older brother as well, big brother always wins

Archived