[BOOK SPOILERS] Which 3 men did Jamie mean?

They both died because of the battle, hence "draw". Its semantics, ...

And what, pray tell, are “semantics”? Are not semantics the very meaning of the thing? And without common meaning, can there by any real communication? Of course not! Semantics are anything but a trifling matter of little import; indeed, they’re everything, for semantics are in fact nothing less than the essential baseline understanding without which all words are as wind.

Or as Humpty Dumpty told Alice:

'Certainly,' said Alice.

'And only one for birthday presents, you know. There's glory for you!'

'I don't know what you mean by "glory",' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

Of course, like many my initial reaction was to assume it was Bold and the Dogs.

But, I think he may even elaborate on this before the season is out/early next season. And if so, it could be a good way to introduce the Red Viper for the first time. A comment by Jamie that the Martell prince could potentially best him would exemplify the danger of said Dornish snake.

I just rewatched the Jaime and Brienne scene and was wondering the same thing.

When I think back to Jaime reading the kingsguard book, I remember him having this massive respect for his peers and forebearers. A man very much enamoured by men who do war and do it well. Dayne was often held up as the epitome of the perfect knight in the way he fought, pretty much the same could be said for Barristan.

I can't remember. was Oberyn ever really held with such esteem in terms of his prowess in battle? Trying to think back to Tyrion's chapters when he had inner-monologues about the legend of the Red Viper. It doesn't ring any bells. I thought the RV was more legendary for his intelligence, cunning and numerous, poisonous offspring.

I mean, there's tough bastards up and down Westeros who could be included. Randyll Tarly, the Cleganes, even Ned Stark. But I don't think any of them came close to perfecting the art of war in the way those "legendary" knights of old did. So you'd have to say Barristan, perhaps Loras and...? Bah, who knows.

He just said could potentially beat him, that doesn't necessarily mean he feels they would. I would guess it's the Cleganes, but he only thinks they would have a chance to beat him not that he wouldn't defeat them in the end.

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been thrown out there but...:

Perhaps it wasn't meant that he literally has a list of three in his head. It could be that he's just throwing out an arbitrary number that's really small (i.e., I'm that good).

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been thrown out there but...: Perhaps it wasn't meant that he literally has a list of three in his head. It could be that he's just throwing out an arbitrary number that's really small (i.e., I'm that good).

That did cross my mind. Fun to try and guess though.

And what, pray tell, are “semantics”? Are not semantics the very meaning of the thing? And without common meaning, can there by any real communication? Of course not! Semantics are anything but a trifling matter of little import; indeed, they’re everything, for semantics are in fact nothing less than the essential baseline understanding without which all words are as wind. Or as Humpty Dumpty told Alice:
'Certainly,' said Alice.
'And only one for birthday presents, you know. There's glory for you!' 'I don't know what you mean by "glory",' Alice said. Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"' 'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.' 'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.' Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!' 'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?' 'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.' 'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone. 'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

Either way, its still a draw. They both killed each other. Timing doesn't matter. Its not like it was a boxing match. Fight to the death, they both die. DRAW

:( shut up, that's a faceless man in training. REAL GREGOR will return (hopefully). I think calling the Oberyn/Gregor duel a draw...is a fucking massive stretch. Gregor won the duel...mostly because Oberyn died right there? Gregor died from poison - sure he might have died from blood loss but we don't know that. It's still Sandor, Gregor and Barristan. Actually it's hyperbole - there are more than 3 people with a chance of beating Jaime. But those 3 all certainly fit the bill of having a chance of beating Jaime.

its a stretch for sure, but not a massive fuckin stretch. Gregor died as a direct result of the duel, so he died at the hands of the Red Viper.

Either way, its still a draw. They both killed each other. Timing doesn't matter. Its not like it was a boxing match. Fight to the death, they both die. DRAW

Strange that they didn’t consider Tyrion exonerated then, since the Crown’s champion was killed.

not bad. Syrio Forel

Doubt jaime had even heard of him.

Strange that they didn’t consider Tyrion exonerated then, since the Crown’s champion was killed.

Which to the discussion of the fight itself is a pointless comment.

Doubt jaime had even heard of him.

He may never have, but he might have.

He does clearly say in the books that he's too fast for the Cleganes, so I'm searching for other options. Although there is the argument that any top 10 killing machine would always think in his head that he can and will beat anyone, but he can still respect the Cleganes more than anyone else and name them part of his top 3 bet competition.

Too bad Jamie's about to go from top 5 to top 200,000.

Archived