LittleFinger's motives? {SPOILERS}

winterWarg

So what's his motive taking Sansa under his wing? Could he genuinely mean what he says about Cat and care for Sansa as a daughter, or this another one of those marraige-for-power excercises in the making?

If so, who would he 'sell' her off to? (That'd be the 3rd time Sansa has been pawned off. wake up u dumb girl!)

And if not, do u guys really belive Cat had a little a 'rumble in the jungle' with Littlefinger before she got married to Ned?

He's paramount of the Riverlands, he is Lord Protector of the Vale and now he has the heir to Winterfell (since everyone thinks Bran, Rickon and Arya are death). That's, I think, his motive.

Well Littlefinger makes it pretty clear in a conversation with Sansa that you will basically never find out his motives. He says something along the lines that it is impossible to be controlled or manipulated if people don't know your motivations. If you constantly do things that surprise or even look like they hinder you, people will never catch on to what you are truly after.

This is why I love Littlefinger. The guy is just so awesome. Plain and simple I think his motive is power, but to what extent and how I don't know. I'd say he's done a pretty fantastic job so far, as long as he doesn't get thrown out of the Vale by the Vale Lords.

First off, he probably wants to get it in. Littlefinger had quite the thing for catelyn, and he described sansa as looking a lot like her.

But more importantly its just a power thing. As far as almost everyone in the world is concerned, Sansa is the oldest living Stark. So marrying her would have the same implications as her marriage to tyrion: he's entitled to Winterfell.

Power play, that's his main motive I think; he sees her as a way to get Winterfell.

There's also his love for her mother, but I doubt there's any genuine intentions behind his actions.

I also agree with ckal, it's hard to know his reasons when he tells Sansa about doing things people don't expect so they never know what you really intend.

• 1 month later...

Hmm...roughly 2000 pages into ASoIaF, and am beginning to wonder if GRRM really does have anything planned for Sansa besides forced marriages.

Well she's a woman. And not a warrior like Arya. Her role will be more subtle but no less effective. Her marriage will join the Vale to Winterfell and put her in front of a great fighting force. With Freys and Boltons weakened by the subduing of the North and Riverlands she can break both houses and avenge the Red Wedding. The North will love her, rally to her. What she does then I'm not sure. Rickon plays a role somewhere.

50% power play, 50% perversion.

She has a claim to Winterfell and with Lysa gone he is single again (I assume he had her dimise planned from the beginning). Also he still wants Catelyn and considering the alternatives Sansa is probably the next best thing.

• 2 weeks later...

50% power play, 50% perversion.

She has a claim to Winterfell and with Lysa gone he is single again (I assume he had her dimise planned from the beginning). Also he still wants Catelyn and considering the alternatives Sansa is probably the next best thing.

I agree with this. As far as Sansa is concerned I think there is more to it than his normal quest for power and influence. Littlefinger just gives me the creeps, especially when he told Sansa the lie that he had taken Cat's virginity.

• 5 months later...

Archived