[Book Spoilers] The Whitewashing of Tyrion

This is my fear as well. I had a huge feeling of doom when they took that scene of Sansa being beaten and turned it in to Tyrion charging in to play the hero and save her. My current guess is that he'll end up doing it in order to protect her somehow and she'll be ungrateful to him because she's to stupid to understand it.

I think the marriage will be shown as a relationship of two victims, Tyrion victim of Tywin ans Sansa victim of Cersei Joffrey

This is my fear as well. I had a huge feeling of doom when they took that scene of Sansa being beaten and turned it in to Tyrion charging in to play the hero and save her. My current guess is that he'll end up doing it in order to protect her somehow and she'll be ungrateful to him because she's to stupid to understand it.

I'm really curious why D&D feel the need to whitewash Tyrion so much. I find him much more fascinating as a grey character. He is capable of great kindness while also sharing his father's ruthlessness. I'd love to see some of that on the screen. Peter Dinklage is doing some great acting but I'm finding that Tyrion on the screen is rather boring.

exactly, I think Tyrion showed that much more season 1 where his acting and characterization were outstanding. He flourished with the depth of the character. As good as PD has been, there has been something slightly off this season, perhaps it is the 1 dimensional nature they have pushed his character giving him less room to move in

Ser Mixalot- I am sure you are right about pouring the wildfire into the sewers as D&D's bright solution to defeating Stannis.

Chains across rivers are a historical battle tactic- there was actually a chain strung across the Bosphorus! (The Turks won despite the chain.) Imagine the nice visual of men heaving on a winch and the chain slowly emerging from the water. But NOOOOOOO- not good enough for D&D. They are smarter than that. They would rather turn the sewers under King's Landing into pipe bombs. If wildfire is viscous enough to float on the waters of the Blackwater, it i viscous enough to leave a coating on the walls of the sewers and cisterns. A little methane in the sewers, a little spark, and boom goes the city.

I think the marriage will be shown as a relationship of two victims, Tyrion victim of Tywin ans Sansa victim of Cersei Joffrey

You may be right but it would still be inaccurate. The only one who was a victim was Sansa.

You may be right but it would still be inaccurate. The only one who was a victim was Sansa.

Maybe GRRM told D&D how it will end and they want the marriage to be like this, so they can continue it in season 7 or 8, so they have something like a "white knight" moment with Sansa and Tyrion, for the non bookreaders

I'm afraid HBO Sansa will be the bitch and HBO Tyrion the poor unappreciated dwarf. Even though they have also been whitewashing Cersei- they took Tyrion's threat to do to Tommen what is done to Alayaya and gave it to Cersei! D&D can't give Tyrion even a ruthless THREAT, much less a ruthless action.

I'm afraid HBO Sansa will be the bitch and HBO Tyrion the poor unappreciated dwarf. Even though they have also been whitewashing Cersei- they took Tyrion's threat to do to Tommen what is done to Alayaya and gave it to Cersei! D&D can't give Tyrion even a ruthless THREAT, much less a ruthless action.

I'm already out of likes for the day but still wanted to tell you I liked your post.

Ser Mixalot- I am sure you are right about pouring the wildfire into the sewers as D&D's bright solution to defeating Stannis.

Chains across rivers are a historical battle tactic- there was actually a chain strung across the Bosphorus! (The Turks won despite the chain.) Imagine the nice visual of men heaving on a winch and the chain slowly emerging from the water. But NOOOOOOO- not good enough for D&D. They are smarter than that. They would rather turn the sewers under King's Landing into pipe bombs. If wildfire is viscous enough to float on the waters of the Blackwater, it i viscous enough to leave a coating on the walls of the sewers and cisterns. A little methane in the sewers, a little spark, and boom goes the city.

I hadnt thought bout that, they will probably float the wildfire out in barrels. I trust that D&D can make it work. You have to remember that this is going to be a VERY expensive episode for television, so I am ok with significant changes to the story because it is action and not really character development so if they get the jist of the story correct I am fine with that.

Probably tyrion will kill tywin in self defense and shae will comit suicide Tyrion than goes around essos as the "Fugitive" closely followed by a tommy lee jones

nonsense, Tywin will fire a crossbow at a puppy, tyrion will dive and knock the puppy out of the way causing the crossbow bolt to ricochet and hit Tywin.

Shae will develop cancer and Tyrion will spend most of season 4 by her bedside

it is known.

He just seems a tad cheerier than book Tyrion, and I can still imagine him doing some of those things behind the scenes. The screenwriters can't include everything. I see it as, he's developing at a different pace.

Right now he's enjoying his position as hand and messing with Cercei. He is still pretty sketchy for the way he's threatened Lancel, keeping people like Bron and the Mountain barberians around.

I think his dark side will show more when Tywin shows up, because so much of Tyrion's demons stem from his daddy issues. We will almost certainly be reminded again of the Tysha incident, possibly in more detail.

nonsense, Tywin will fire a crossbow at a puppy, tyrion will dive and knock the puppy out of the way causing the crossbow bolt to ricochet and hit Tywin. Shae will develop cancer and Tyrion will spend most of season 4 by her bedside it is known.

This seems very plausible. Do you think it will occur before or after he runs in to a burning orphanage to save all the children?

orphanage, please be serious it's will be a whorehouse

Oh, good point. Although, to make it really dramatic he should probably save both. Probably coming running out of the whorehouse holding Ros. That'd make it epic.

This seems very plausible. Do you think it will occur before or after he runs in to a burning orphanage to save all the children?

Come on. The book itself was already full of over-the-top Tyrion heroism. Like him leading a sortie (a dwarf with no combat experience, yet he saved the day when no one else in KL was badass enough and/or brave enough). So even if in the show he does something ludicrously brave, it will be fully within the spirit of the novel.

why? People are expressing their opinions?

Of course not fool...

I detest that HBO is making many characters more vanilla. Tyrion is such a scumbag, so smart, so lucky, so honest, so selfish, and so tormented and that's why I enjoy reading about him. On the show, he's a loveable little person. I hate that.

I hated how in this episode, when Tyrion said "Cersei this is madness, Stannis will be here any day now, you need me", and Cersei said "for what your prowess in battle", Tyrion said nothing. Why are they making Tyrion seem so useless? In the book, Tyrion had Bronn hire Sellswords, so when Cersei said that, Tyrion said his Sellswords would never fight without him. They never talked about Bronn hiring Sellswords in the show, but Tyrion could have said Bronn's Goldcloaks will never fight without me, or something like that. They have shown none of Tyrion's ingenuity to save Kings Landing, and then they have him reading books the day before, like he just now remembered to try and come up with a plan.... It's so dumb.

Archived