[Spoiler]Do you all hate Bran?

ShadowRaven

For some people the Cercei chapters is what they are waiting for, or the Jaime, or the Daenarys, or the Theon...You get my point.

Am I the only one who looks forward to the Bran chapters?

Why do so many people not mind it that the Reeds won't be casted, or neglect the fact that he is in FACT the true King of the North since Robb died. People use these excuses:

- He's becoming a tree

- He's not planning on coming back

- He's cripple, won't be able to have children

He is barely ten years old in the books, how come people are already deciding what he is and is not going to do? GRRM hasn't mentioned that Bran is invertile, nor has he stated Bran will stay north of the wall, so why is it that so many people wish for him to be out of the picture?

I get that there are probably more Sansa likers than Bran. But why don't these fans realise that Sansa's claim comes after Bran's.

He's been wronged so much in life, do we have to neglect his rights as well?

I think Bran is, generally speaking, a popular character. I don't think people hate him. I think that when people speculate that he will be infertile, becoming a tree, remaining in the north etc, they are not wishing ill upon Bran, they are merely speculating on what they think will happen. Not what they hope will happen, but what they think may happen based on the story so far.

I like Bran and his chapters until there's too much dreaming and predictions and mysticism. GRRM's losing me with the centralized hub of the WeirWoodWeb and the children of the F and the paste and whatnot. Just tell me some of this shit straight. Don't make me decode it. Somebody give this boy a straight answer. And don't have him resign himself to a fate worse than death.

Speculating about what Bran's future may or may not hold is not hating on Bran as a character. It's not hate to speculate that he may take Bloodraven's place as a tree, or that he may be infertile, or that he won't return to Winterfell. Even finding a character's chapters boring isn't hate. It's just speculation and it's the whole point of this forum.

I'm tempted to say I do hate him, but thats not technically true. I just find his chapters, and story as a whole, incredibly boring. His character arc will never match the Lannister brothers for literary value and isn't anywhere near as fun as say Dany and Jon (two other characters I don't particularily like).

Really its just that he doesn't do anything. Ever. Which I guess isn't totally his fault because he's a cripple, but then, I don't really want to read about a cripple in a fantasy series. He's too young to be interesting. I don't want a chapters from the perspective of a wolf. I want Jaime, and Tyrion, and Davos, and Reek. Interesting characters with fascinating story lines. Brans is not.

And the fact the he's the rightful heir to the north has no influence on how I feel about him. Except that I'd like him to stay in the north so Rickon can become Lord of Winterfell.

Personally, I don't hate the kid at all, though at times his chapters have felt like a bit of a chore. This is not because of a deep personal dislike I have of Bran, but because for some reason, his chapters seem to indulge in great surplus all of the annoying fantasy cliches that GRRM so brilliantly avoids elsewhere. Bran's "mystical connection" with nature/ trees; him traveling through the frozen wastes to discover a mysterious presence that will mystically reveal his path in life; Jojen Reed's ridiculous charaterization as the wise child prophet/ seer who speaks like a bloody fortune cookie; and phrases like "green dreams" "opening your third eye" "children of the forest" all contribute to a rather cheesy atmosphere that feels both cliched and, at times, (dare I say it?) vaguely ridiculous. This has become a greater problem as of late, with the introduction of Bryndyn the mystical tree man, and the looming possiblity of Bran learning to open his "third eye." (Whatever the fuck that actually means. :uhoh: )

And don't even get me started on the children of the forest. They are super long lived! They are wise and supperior beings! They are quasi elphin forms! I feel as though I've read this all before, somewhere else, in other novels of this type. I've rarely gotten this feeling elsehwer in GRRM's universe; here I feel it constantly.

Of course, these are just opinions. I'm sure that for many, Bran's POV chapters make riveting reading. Alas, I personally cannot agree with this.

As for the lack of hard core Bran fans, I do see one issue with his characterization (rather than just his storyline) that might account for this. In the past, GRRM has admitted that it was difficult to write from Bran, a then seven year olds, perspective. IMO, this sort of came through to me with his characterization in the first book, and continues to do so. In a book full of complex, multifaceted characters, Bran has always come off (to me) as somewhat one note. Less than complex, less than compelling, less, at times, than fully believable. However, no doubht many will disagree with me on this; and love Bran and see him as fascinating. However, I do think it is an undeniable fact that Bran has in general inspired less fanfare and less of a following amongst readers as characters like Danerys, Jon Snow, Arya, or Sansa. In my opinion, this is why.

@Queen Cersei

Wow..u posted exactly wat was going through my mind while reading bran chapters..although i didnt quite know how to frame the words unlike u..kudos to u queen cersei!! Imma big fan of ur amazing posts!! (Although i find other feminists on this site really annoying and snobby)

Strangely enough I like Bran and I like the wolf dreams. I even like Jojen with his green dreams.

His being out of the picture depends on which way the story goes really. If it becomes another Long Night Bran is suddenly no longer in the middle of nowhere but in the vanguard.

"He saw the bones of a thousand other dreamers impaled upon their points."

From way back in the beginning yet this is still one of the more interesting mysteries to me. Everything else in that dream of Bran's was actually happening so what is this? Who are these dreamers? Are they dying or are they being killed?

It's all in what you like, I find the dragons and fire magic pretty blah especially now with all the false dragons starting to pop up like weeds. Oops, wrong series. Seriously hopefully it will be just Aegon and that complaint doesn't really come from the books but this forum with all these possible hidden Targs everyone's always speculating about.

For some people the Cercei chapters is what they are waiting for, or the Jaime, or the Daenarys, or the Theon...You get my point. Am I the only one who looks forward to the Bran chapters?

No I look forward to them, I want to know what happens to all the POV's, but I do think they are a bit tame at times.

Why do so many people not mind it that the Reeds won't be casted,

OK hold on, a lot of people are concerned about the lack of Reeds in the show

or neglect the fact that he is in FACT the true King of the North since Robb died. People use these excuses:

- He's becoming a tree

- He's not planning on coming back

- He's cripple, won't be able to have children He is barely ten years old in the books,

It's not sop much neglect, more the fact that he is BR's tree apprentice thousands of leagues North of Winterfell, a cripple, and a little kid. I don't see these adding up to him marching on Winterfell and rule the North as King anytime soon.

He is barely ten years old in the books, how come people are already deciding what he is and is not going to do?

Deciding what he's going to do? We're making predictions on the facts presented to us.

GRRM hasn't mentioned that Bran is invertile

There was a passage in GoT where Ned reflects on how Bran will never know the feeling of holding a newborn child, I assumed this meant he was infertile but he may not be I suppose.

nor has he stated Bran will stay north of the wall, so why is it that so many people wish for him to be out of the picture?

Once again, he is a cripple thousands of miles away from anyone, with no signs of leaving. Face it, Bran is out of the picture at the moment.

I get that there are probably more Sansa likers than Bran. But why don't these fans realise that Sansa's claim comes after Bran's.

He's been wronged so much in life, do we have to neglect his rights as well?

Yes his claim is stronger, but everyone thinks Bran is dead, while Sansa is in the middle of a scheme to put her in power. No one is saying he isn't rightfully Robb's heir, but he isn't going to become King.

I liked Bran through ASOS a lot but I'm trepiditious about what I'll think of his A Dance with Dragons stuff when I finally get to it in a couple of weeks. However, I'm dreadfully sad that the Reeds haven't been cast. I also hope Bran does not become a tree.

There's a reason the tv series is called "Game of Thrones", generally the game for the kings position in these books are the more appealing. Brans story isn't going that way. I wish it was, I wish he was sattled up with Jaime for an entire book. Cripple and the handless, sworn enemies but they don't actually hate other. But no. magic, magic, magic. Hopefully Bloodraven will recover his Dunk & the Egg wit in Winds of Winter.

The bran chapters are a bit dull. I like bran, though. I hope things will get more interesting inside the tree.

I think otherwise. Bran chapters have been exciting since ACoK, especially once he meets up with Samwell at the Wall.

Bran is a character who kinda grew on me, and by my second read had become my favorite stark, well, after the late lord eddard that is. It's a very hard task, I think, to write from a believable and enjoyable pov of such a young adult.

Bran's chapters are probably my favorite. I love the mysticism. It's a perfect combination of magic and mystery.

Exactly. I love the backstory, we get from the Reed's and Old Nan's Tales

I like Bran. I like the Reeds. I don't like the fact that they haven't been put in the TV series.

I actually think that the Bran story line is one of the most interesting. Yes it can drone on a bit but I think that adds to how the feelings of the people in his group are feeling. They are trekking through the snow north of The Wall where even men of The Nights Watch fell. It isn't going to be "OMG a White Walker! OMG a grumpkin!" etc etc.

I really hope that he doesn't stay north of The Wall though because I don't want him to take the place of the Three Eye'd Crow. Ideally I would want to see him as The Lord of Winterfell with Meera as his wife (those two make a good couple).

Archived