[Book spoilers] Cheers without Jeers, Tears, or Fears

Some highlights for me:

I loved the scene between the girl without honor and Hot Pie. "Where!" *Arya pulls Hot Pie's ears*. Awesome.

Jaime/Brienne made off to a good start.

The trio Varys, Bronn, and Tyrion.

Kevan Lannister coming back excited me. He plays a pretty crucial part later and I'm glad they're filtering him in.

I enjoyed the Theon/Yara scene a lot

I'm also glad Dany was also only in like 3 minutes. Still too much but I'll take it.

Stannis was hilarious .Glad they explained the siege of Storm's end and how he resents Robert for giving it to Renly.

I loved the scene with Asha and Theon.

I didn't expect a line such as Danny's one about her dragons being the only children she'll ever have to move me but it did.

5 seconds of Bran but I loved them.

This show probably has the best casting of any other show/movie/anything to ever exist. Almost all of the characters on the show have become the characters I imagine when reading the book. Even down to the bit roles like Hot Pie. The acting is just, well, incredible. Freakin' Peter Dinklage is owning Tyrion. It was the role he was made to play. Same goes for Maisie Williams. How they will ever break out of these roles once the show is over, I have no idea.

This show probably has the best casting of any other show/movie/anything to ever exist. Almost all of the characters on the show have become the characters I imagine when reading the book. Even down to the bit roles like Hot Pie. The acting is just, well, incredible. Freakin' Peter Dinklage is owning Tyrion. It was the role he was made to play. Same goes for Maisie Williams. How they will ever break out of these roles once the show is over, I have no idea.

Oh, I shouldn’t worry about Peter: I’m sure he’ll make short work of every rôle that’s thrown at him.

I actually think Jon and Dany's storyline's are going in a more believable direction than in the books I loved Jaime and Brienne, I think they match their book counterparts to a tee

Care to elaborate perhaps?

Roose Bolton, ladies and gentlemen. He is comedy gold. I want to see some leeches. Have we seen leeches yet?

Jaime and Brienne are so perfect. Again, I want to hear him call her wench. Get to it already! I was surprised to go back and re-read his early POVs in Storm of Swords and to see how buoyant they were, how exhilarated he was to be out of his dungeon, how much pure fun he was having. It is amazing the transition in voice and tone that happens in his POVs once his hand is cut off, which is where I usually start re-reading. He is capturing that early spiritedness so perfectly, it will be interesting to see the transition in demeanor happen on screen and I can't wait to watch their relationship change slowly step by step.

Cercei and Tyrion's interactions are gold.

Pod's snicker at Tyrion's jest made my night.

I've been underwhelmed by HBO's Asha (Yara) mainly b/c of the actress's portrayal, but I loved her scene this week.

The Lord of Bones....it was great to see him on the screen (though he's not what I pictured. Too big. He should be 'surprisingly strong' later in the series).

Love Brienne's actress, and finally getting to see her with Jaime was great. They show promise.

Edit: and how could I forget Robb and Talisa? I'm in the minority camp (it seems) who's willing to tolerate a little love story for Robb, implausible as much of it may be. I'm glad that he's now betraying his vow for actual love, and I don't mind seeing it. I didn't care much for her backstory, but the scene worked for me.

Nice idea for a thread..props to you Cryptic for making it happen!

Roose Bolton is amazing..I can't wait to see more of him.

Hot Pie and Varys both returned which was awesome.

They figured out a way to use Ros in a legitimate, meaningful scene.

Asha was good this episode and Theon's storyline continues to be the highlight of the season for me!

The Blackwater is on Sunday.

I actually think Jon and Dany's storyline's are going in a more believable direction than in the books I loved Jaime and Brienne, I think they match their book counterparts to a tee

You may be onto something regarding Jon's scenes. It seems like they're making him out to be a bit of a tool this season but maybe he'll use all these slip ups as a growing experience that will help him in outsmarting the wildlings next season. It makes for better TV I suppose to have him do some growing rather than already being grown and pretty mature like in the books.

Thank you for starting this thread, CrypticWeirwood!

I loved Jaime and Brienne. Cannot wait to see more of them and for him to call her "wench".

Lots of actors are very good. I love Arya in her conversations with Jaqen and when she realises she is too late to kill Tywin. Also Catelyn's actress is perfect.

I love Brandon and the fact that someone remembered there is a Rickon Stark somewehere. Hodor and Rickon just sleeping calmly with Brandon listening to Luwin ... heart-wrenching. So Brandon-y.

Ros finally found a purpose in the plot! Gods be praised!

What I also like about the series is that most actors speak clearly enough for non-native English speakers to understand. I can understand mostly anything anyone says, only have problems with Robb sometimes and cannot for my life understand anything from Dolorous Edd's mouth. But the rest, I love them for sepaking clearly.

You may be onto something regarding Jon's scenes. It seems like they're making him out to be a bit of a tool this season but maybe he'll use all these slip ups as a growing experience that will help him in outsmarting the wildlings next season. It makes for better TV I suppose to have him do some growing rather than already being grown and pretty mature like in the books.

We already got that in Season/Book 1 though. Would've been better to take it in the direction it went in the books, with him learning how to cope in an actual dangerous situation. But then I'm not supposed to be nitpicking here. I am at the very least glad that Jon and Qhorin are back together.

• Jamie + Brienne are off to a good start.....enjoyed that.
  • I did not expect to see Kevan Lannister this season, so I was pleasantly surprised he made an appearance.
  • Pod chuckling - great moment.
  • Dragonglass! I was afraid we'll not see it this season.
  • But the absolute highlight for me was Tyrion - Varys - Bronn show, I swear I could watch a whole episode just with those three. :bowdown: And ever since I realized who the actor playing Bronn actually is (was a bit slow on that one) I kind of wish Bronn could sing a song on the show! :drunk:

'In the Summer Isles they worship a fertility God with sixteen teats.' 'We should sail there immediately.' - Pure Gold! :cheers:

I also think that he has been written as a boy growing into a man, as evidenced in his remark to the Halfhand that the other rangers died because of his failing to kill Ygriett. He is growing ..... I really like the Jon Snow story.

First off.... Bravo for this thread !!!!

Those two spaces in between the lines was me giving you a standing ovation. This is the best fantasy television series of all time, and it deserves praise.

Any episode that features Hot Pie and Gendry is awesome throw Maise, who I believe will be the best supporting actress in the emmys this year and it is television Gold.

Charles Dance is a bad ass.. Tywin Lannister comes to life in his role.

Delorus Edd, Samwell, and the cache that included the horn. I think that this just might be the horn that blows down the wall.

Tyrion's reaction to Ros... perfect reaction

Varys is Colenth Hill. His banter with Peter M##$%RF$%#ING Dinkledge was great.

Joffery talking about giving a red smile to Stannis right after we hear about Stannis being such a bad ass he ate dogs. It looked like it took everything for Varys and Tyrion not to just burst out laughing.

Davos and the story of the onion knight. I was afraid they were going to skip that story. I had already told it to my friends who hadn't read the books and are watching the show with me.

The score is world class and worthy of an epic motion picture.

I liked this episode very much.

I think the talent is amazing. I was laughing out loud with the Tyrion and Varys scenes, the one with Bronn ("I like to have my hands clean") and the one with Joffrey (the face of Jack Gleeson is gold "I'll put a smile on his face"...what an idiot!!!)

I discussed it in another thread, but I really liked Madden performance in "the love scene" he totally sold Robb infatuation. (I love good acting!), and Oona Chaplin surprised me in the earlier scene when they were walking "sharing a moment" and were interrupted...her upsetting was good.

'In the Summer Isles they worship a fertility God with sixteen teats.' 'We should sail there immediately.' - Pure Gold! :cheers:

:agree:

I also think that he has been written as a boy growing into a man, as evidenced in his remark to the Halfhand that the other rangers died because of his failing to kill Ygriett. He is growing ..... I really like the Jon Snow story.

and also he's following Mormont's counsel in an earlier episode "you want to command, first learn to follow"

@CrypticW thank you for this thread!!

edit: "council" for "counsel" (no native speaker...sorry!!!)

The trio Varys, Bronn, and Tyrion.

Make mine a VBT* sandwich any day of the week! They really are a joy and a delight, now aren’t they? I love how natural they sound, Varys and Bronn always, and Tyrion usually, instead of sounding like actors just delivering lines they’ve been waiting to say. This is something you get from good character actors like Tywin and Davos as well. Sure, it isn’t always like that with a few of that cast, but give them time. I love the art these actors bring to their craft.

VBT
=
V
egemite,
B
acon, and
T
omahto, of course. ; }

Archived