[Book spoilers] Cheers without Jeers, Tears, or Fears

C
ERSEI:
Odd little boy.

T
YRION
: I have a certain sympathy for odd little boys.

C
ERSEI
: You and Varys, both.

T
YRION
: Why are you smiling?

C
ERSEI
: Because I’m happy.

T
YRION
: Why are you happy?

C
ERSEI
: Because I have your little whore.

T
YRION
: I thought you preferred blonds.

Ah yes, both Jaime and Lancel are blonds, aren’t they? Hey now, anybody wanna bet me on Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy? ; }

Ah yes, both Jaime and Lancel are blonds, aren’t they? Hey now, anybody wanna bet me on Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy? ; }

Let us not forget Jaime's somewhat gross reflections on Osmund Kettleblack's wiry black pubic hair, if I remember correctly, as seen when they were in the bathhouse together. A Kingsguardman has no secrets from his Brothers. I see Moon Boy as balding and fat.

Let us not forget Jaime's somewhat gross reflections on Osmund Kettleblack's wiry black pubic hair, if I remember correctly, as seen when they were in the bathhouse together. A Kingsguardman has no secrets from his Brothers. I see Moon Boy as balding and fat.

Hair above seldom matches hair below, my lady, and many a wiry dark merkin is topped with a crown of gold. I know this, for I have seen it myself.

1. Stephen Dillane OWNS Stannis - he captures the stoicism, bitterness and "iron" nature perfectly. "Never liked cats, so fine..."

2. Dolores Edd is perfect. "Great rangers don't last long. Shit ones neither." All while shoveling away morosely.

3. Yara and Theon were fantastic. "We loved our mother and both endured our father... Don't die so far from the sea baby brother."

4. So looking forward to the Kingslayer and the Wench! They're off to a great start. "Have you known any men? Women? Horses?"

5. Jaqen and Arya = a shame it is about over. Arya has seen first-hand what honor gets you.

oh and bronn and tyrion's discussion re: wearing a gold cloak -- glad they explained that one -- and funny too.

dolorus edd: i always imagined m'self doing something worse

grenn: digging latrine piss at the end of the world...i cant imagine anything much worse

edd: you lack imagination :lol:

Hair above seldom matches hair below, my lady, and many a wiry dark merkin is topped with a crown of gold. I know this, for I have seen it myself.

But Jaime specifies the "coarser thatch between his leg," which he describes as "black wire", and the black hair on his chest. By deductive reasoning we can presume that the hair on his head is also black. It would be too strange if it was black everywhere else and gold on his head. This is the grossest discussion I've ever had! :)

i liked how they throw some info from future books like the Volantis infomercial and the previous job history of Tyrion

that and the Bronn vs Tyrion duet of witt words

and the presumed fear that Stannis might have at the sight of King Jeoffrey the Megalomaniac

still i would have liked some classic "wrench" "U know Nothing, JS" and "Hodor"

created an account just to say thanks for creating this thread, wayy too much negativity around here.

1. Stannis: Really growing on me. Wasn't too high on Dillane earlier in the season but he has grown into the role perfectly. Absolutley kills it, and it was good to hear the backstory of Davos (Storms End's savior).

2. I think Brienne and Jamie will carry the show next season. Great chemistry already.

Just a note on location shooting. Many times these days with sfx being what they are, it is actually less expensive overall to shoot on location - like Iceland. There is no way they could afford to replicate that in a studio. The post would be cost-prohibitive.

I'm also sure that given what Iceland's economy has been lately, they've given them all kinds of incentives to come shoot there, so it's probably win-win on both sides.

Those of you who have seen Tarsem's The Fall (with Lee Pace), know what I'm talking about. They shot everything on location, and not one greenscreen, because it was actually less expensive to do it that way. (And if you haven't seen it, put it at the top of your Netflix list.)

Just a note on location shooting. Many times these days with sfx being what they are, it is actually less expensive overall to shoot on location - like Iceland. There is no way they could afford to replicate that in a studio. The post would be cost-prohibitive. I'm also sure that given what Iceland's economy has been lately, they've given them all kinds of incentives to come shoot there, so it's probably win-win on both sides. Those of you who have seen Tarsem's The Fall (with Lee Pace), know what I'm talking about. They shot everything on location, and not one greenscreen, because it was actually less expensive to do it that way. (And if you haven't seen it, put it at the top of your Netflix list.)

You're right. old school location filming (If ,and only *if*, the weather get along...) is more economic than post-production (renders, effects) or set construction; and filming in Europe could also bring co-production arrangements.

Also, I think is very cool that they're casting (or trying) european actors (Norwegians, Germans...) there's a lot of talent out there, and they could get very capable "unknown worldwide" actors ... The "european" feel of HBO GoT is very attractive.

I have to admit I am enjoying Sam seeming having a ball on the fist of the first man. IIRC from the books, he was the only one of the NW who became less afraid as the range progressed. He seems to be enjoying a nice little holiday. The actor is doing quite a good job of making the craven a charismatic young man

I think this is the only GoT thread I will lurk around in from now on. I'm a huge, huge fan of the books and all, but I CANNOT STAND THE BITCHING THAT GOES ON ON THE OTHER THREADS! Seriously, why? Are people so proud of spotting the difference that they have to nitpick so much? Of course there are a few justifiable complaints but most of the time it's people bitching for the sake of bitching. Sigh.

Maybe I'm just easy to please, because I'm overwhelmed by what a good job HBO are doing, but hey, beats being a bitch.

Anyway, hilight of last week has to be Brienne/Jaime. That was fantastic.

Hi everyone! First post here. I'm a huge fan of D&D's superb GoT series, my introduction to GRRM's riveting novels. Now I can't get enough. Sound familiar? My growing addiction to all things ASoIaF led me to this forum. I have been thoroughly spoiled and loving it; knowing what's coming seems to enhance my enjoyment. Very cool. This upbeat thread seems the perfect place to dive in. As a newbie my opinions are not unique and I can't compete with long time fans who know the books inside and out, so please bear with me. I'm here to express my honest appreciation and gratitude and hope this comes across to D&D.

In my experience and from observing others' reactions over many years, it works better to see the visual medium first followed by the far richer, deeper book(s). My goal is maximum enjoyment of both, and this works for me. I wish the same for all GRRM fans.

I'm in awe of D&D's adaptation and their courage to take on a beloved series of this complexity. The production quality is first rate. Locations, sets and costumes are breathtaking and amazingly diverse. With few exceptions, the casting is superb. Most actors are totally nailing it. The storytelling is excellent entertainment; imperfect but an admirable effort given the vast scope, limited budget and severe (!) restriction of only 10 episodes per season. I'm sure D&D are working nonstop, sacrificing their personal lives for this massive labor of love.

Highlights this season:

. Anything with Tyrion. PD perfectly captures his wit, intelligence and humanity. Thoroughly enjoyed his scenes with Bronn, Varys and Cersei this week. Kudos to all. Can't stand Shea and Roz, but they were effectively used to showcase Tyrion's love and compassion, respectively.

. Arya, Tywin and Jaqen. Charles Dance is masterful, Maisie is a multitalented delight, Jaqen is fascinating and HOT. I so hope they are recognized at awards time.

. Robb and Talisa -- a genuine romance is a welcome addition. I totally get the euphoria of falling in love and forsaking all others. Been there and done that, & I highly recommend it. :^D Robb is a very young honorable, idealistic king with normal human desires. We only get one short life & who can blame him for not wanting to waste it married to some random trashy Frey troll? Poor guy is doomed like Ned. Heartbreaking.

. Theon -- can't stand this tragically flawed character, but Alfie is so superb at portraying his inner struggle and desperate desire for acceptance that I'm forced to sympathize. I sooooo dread the Ramsey/Reek2 story line. Theon's descent is like standing riveted and appalled while watching a train wreck. He's definitely a top awards contender.

. Bran and Maester Luwin -- a lovely team.

. Brienne and Jaime -- I'm going to thoroughly enjoy their journey and Jaime's fall from grace and transformation.

. Stannis and Davos -- Loved hearing their backstory this week. For the first time I understand why Stannis is admired by so many book fans. Davos seems like a genuinely good guy, modest and loyal. Very refreshing in this cutthroat world.

. Catelyn, Margaery, Sam, Jon, Ygritte, etc., etc. My list of favorites goes on and on.

. Dragons! Can't wait for the HotU. Should be epic.

Now, back to lurking...

I think this is the only GoT thread I will lurk around in from now on. I'm a huge, huge fan of the books and all, but I CANNOT STAND THE BITCHING THAT GOES ON ON THE OTHER THREADS! Seriously, why? Are people so proud of spotting the difference that they have to nitpick so much? Of course there are a few justifiable complaints but most of the time it's people bitching for the sake of bitching. Sigh.

Maybe I'm just easy to please, because I'm overwhelmed by what a good job HBO are doing, but hey, beats being a bitch.

Anyway, hilight of last week has to be Brienne/Jaime. That was fantastic.

Feel the same way! Probably wont stray into many other show threads anymore.

Also, with how well Theon's story line worked this season, I wonder how/if they will keep him involved over the next two seasons. As far as book material goes there is basically nothing. Would be a real shame if we would not see him again until the 5th season.

The camera work was good; lots of nice backgrounds, integrated VFX, and natural lighting. Great location work here.

This is a great point, in the scene between Tyrion and Varys there were some real breathtaking shots, particularly one that you could see the Red Keep in the background. So epic.

Thank you for starting this thread, CrypticWeirwood! I loved Jaime and Brienne. Cannot wait to see more of them and for him to call her "wench".

I am so ready for the "wench" name drop. Jaime and Brienne's adventures are going to be awesome. both actors are just so damn good.

Any episode that features Hot Pie and Gendry is awesome throw Maise, who I believe will be the best supporting actress in the emmys this year and it is television Gold.

God I hope so. personally I think she deserved at least a nomination last season. she's an incredible actress. But then again, there are a shit ton of amazing actors and actresses on this show, and all of them deserve an award for their work.

Hi everyone!

Welcome, Life'sNotASong! I like your positivity.

Feel the same way! Probably wont stray into many other show threads anymore. Also, with how well Theon's story line worked this season, I wonder how/if they will keep him involved over the next two seasons. As far as book material goes there is basically nothing. Would be a real shame if we would not see him again until the 5th season.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the audience will get snippets of what Theon's situation in the Dreadfort is like: i.e. Kyra, and establishing Ramsay some.

As for Talissa/Jeyne - anyone else kind of glad they made Robb's love interest... interesting? No, it's not a subtle deviation but I think for the on-screen romance, it makes a lot of sense to flesh out her character a bit...

Sheesh, this thread is so refreshing, so much niceness. (Is niceness a word? It should be.) :grouphug:

Welcome, Life'sNotASong! I like your positivity. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the audience will get snippets of what Theon's situation in the Dreadfort is like:

I sure hope there’s enough of those snippets to go around. Seems like everybody’s getting a piece of prince these days. ;)

This is poison that I hold, she thought. I ought to burn it. Instead she cracked the seal. A scrap of leather fluttered down into her lap. When she read the dry brown words, her black mood grew blacker still. Dark wings, dark words. The ravens never brought glad tidings. The last message sent to Deepwood had been from Stannis Baratheon, demanding homage. This was worse. “The northmen have taken Moat Cailin.” “The Bastard of Bolton?” asked Qarl, beside her. “Ramsay Bolton, Lord of Winterfell, he signs himself. But there are other names as well.” Lady Dustin, Lady Cerwyn, and four Ryswells had appended their own signatures beneath his. Beside them was drawn a crude giant, the mark of some Umber. Those were done in maester’s ink, made of soot and coal tar, but the message above was scrawled in brown in a huge, spiky hand. It spoke of the fall of Moat Cailin, of the triumphant return of the Warden of the North to his domains, of a marriage soon to be made. The first words were, “I write this letter in the blood of ironmen,” the last, “
I send you each a piece of prince
. Linger in my lands, and share his fate.” Asha had believed her little brother dead. Better dead than this. The scrap of skin had fallen into her lap. She held it to the candle and watched the smoke curl up, until the last of it had been consumed and the flame was licking at her fingers. Galbart Glover’s maester hovered expectantly at her elbow. “There will be no answer,” she informed him.

First off, thank you for starting this thread!

- I'm going to miss Arya/Tywin scenes. Great acting by both and an interesting story to watch as Arya seems to find Tywin a quasi-father figure. I think perhaps Ned and Tywin had more in common than people think. And I've always loved Tywin's armor.

- Rattleshirt looked pretty cool. I love the handle on his dagger/sword (hard to tell which it was) and his staff. It was neat seeing Ygritte carrying Long Claw.

- Tyrion+Varys+Bronn = A show I would watch. Their personalities are all so different and they each bring valuable skills to the table. And the explanation for why Bronn doesn't wear a gold cloak, just awesome.

- I can't wait for the Brienne and Jaime show. I loved their interactions in the book and look forward to more on the show.

- Despite Stannis and Davos not being my favs, I really enjoyed their scene and wished they had more screen time in this past episode. Would help set up next week's just a little bit more. Stannis's delivery of "I like dogs. Their loyal." cracked me up.

-Winterfell and Theon are just heartbreaking. Theon is such a jackass and I liked that it doesn't matter what he does, he's doing something wrong according to someone. Alfie Allen is doing a wonderful job this season; he's stolen it as far as I'm concerned.

Not very noticeable, but the look on Gendry's face as they walked through the gates.

I saw Arya and knew she wouldn't have much reaction seeing as she's pretty insane.

Hot pie was going to freak out and look shocked, this I knew.

But what about Gendry, I made sure to look at his face to see his reaction.

And it was the most priceless "O" face I have seen in awhile, had me in stitches!

Archived