[book spoiler] Whitebeard anyone?

It seems as if they've written Baristan Selmy out of the season. It's a real shame because the fact that he's hiding in plain sight for so long really is cool IMO. To have him show up and reveal himself quickly next season just blows the whole thing. Now, on a show with the same actor appearing the credits people will figure it out I guess, but if they're just saving a paycheck to a second tier character at this point to make Dany's storyline stupid in the meanwhile, I just say boo!

I'm not so sure.. the fact that Jaime just mentioned him in his Kingswood story seems like they want to remind the audience of him again, so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an appearance in Ep10. We can hope anyway. ;)

Er, what are you complaining about exactly? It makes sense for the actor to appear next season, there's no point having him appear for 5-10 minutes in one episode when he's set to become a series regular down the line.

If he turns up at the end of episode 10, great. If Dany's story ends on a cliffhanger this season with her fleeing the burning House of the Undying- and they decide to hold off introducing Artsan til next season- that's also great.

yeah, i actually think it might be for the best if selmy doesn't show up for another year. give more time for people to forget what he looks like so they can actually try to make the trick work on the audience. but in the age of the internet, once one person figures out it's "that same guy from season 1" the jig is up. hopefully they can make him different looking enough.

yeah, i actually think it might be for the best if selmy doesn't show up for another year. give more time for people to forget what he looks like so they can actually try to make the trick work on the audience. but in the age of the internet, once one person figures out it's "that same guy from season 1" the jig is up. hopefully they can make him different looking enough.

I'd rather have them drop the whole "whitebeard" disguise. Nobody will be fooled. Just have him offer his services as himself.

i doubt very many people will not recognize him

I'd rather have them drop the whole "whitebeard" disguise. Nobody will be fooled. Just have him offer his services as himself.

hmm, the audience will not be fooled buy daeny still could. that's a good source of tension, when we know something she doesnt

i doubt very many people will not recognize him

i bet a lot of people will not remember that he was ser beriston selmy of the kings guard in kings landing 2 years ago... at least initially. they might recognize his face as an actor they've seen before but i bet a lot of non-readers would not be able to place exactly where they know him from without help and/or rewatching season 1. people can barely remember who half of the characters are that just pop in and out every so often.

It seems as if they've written Baristan Selmy out of the season.

There’s no evidence of that yet. Your “seems” is figmentational — for the time being.

In the books, she doesn’t meet Ser Barristan until after the House of the Undying goes up in smoke, when he arrives with three caravels to take her back to Magister Ludi, I mean Illirio.

I suspect that things won’t work out quite that same way this time around. If Chekov’s Treasure Vault isn’t empty, it may provide the means for her to buy her own ships without Pentoshi aid.

I have know idea where that puts Ser Barristan, though.

Dany would certainly be fooled: she’s never met him.

Of course. I'm referring to us viewers. Keeping up the charade of her not knowing who he is for a season or more would be tiring - especially when we know they are allies.

Of course. I'm referring to us viewers. Keeping up the charade of her not knowing who he is for a season or more would be tiring - especially when we know they are allies.

i agree a full season would be way too much. but they could introduce him in one episode, and then perhaps as the ending of that episode have some sort of reveal for the audience.

i bet a lot of people will not remember that he was ser beriston selmy of the kings guard in kings landing 2 years ago... at least initially. they might recognize his face as an actor they've seen before but i bet a lot of non-readers would not be able to place exactly where they know him from without help and/or rewatching season 1. people can barely remember who half of the characters are that just pop in and out every so often.

I feel like quite a few people can still be tricked if he has the ol whitebeard. Some of my friends have trouble remembering who Stannis is, let alone any of the members of the kingsguard

No way they're taking out Barristan.. it's likely they'll meet at a different point in the story, but he's instrumental to later developments in Mereen.

This is what I'd do if I were writing it.

Jorah [pulls Selmy aside and pushes him up against a wall or something]: I know who you are, you aren't fooling me. You're barristan Selmy.

Selmy [pushes Jorah back with a surprising display of strength and dexterity for his apparent age]: you got me. I hate Joffrey now, so here I am, ready to serve. I also know all about some of your letters, so...'.

Jorah: Touche. I still hate you. Here I stand.

Selmy: I hate you too. One misstep and I'll slice you like cake.

They glare at each other. Dany shows up. They both act normal and change the subject/whistle.

Dany: tell me a story about Westeros and how awesome my father was. I command you!

Selmy: It's true, your father had moments of awesomeness, sometimes, depending on who you ask.

Dany: I knew it. He was awesome!

Selmy: yeah....

Jorah walks away, sulking. Then every subsequent scene they have together they just eye each other suspiciously.

They could give us this scene in the finale, or in the first ep of S3. Problem solved!

I do think it is a bit odd if he doesn't show up this season. Not just because of the story line, but because it seems it would be hard to guarantee the actor would come back at all if he doesn't work for an entire year. That is one of the main reasons they added all the scenes for Jaime, Robb and Littlefinger this season, so the actors would have something to do.

Archived