House Tyrell & House Martell Question

ZigZagstory

So I've finished book 3 ( thats all ) Can anybody give me some more info, I know Oldtown is a poweful city, but what is their relationship with the east? Do they get along? Are they allies? Is it like the Karstarks, Boltons and Starks of the south?

I'm really interested about these to Houses. I don't know too much about them besides The Red Viper is err was a Bad Mo Fo, ( I want a spear! )

So thanks! Give me any info you can! I'd really appreciate it!

Btw this my first post!

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

Yes, Oldtown is the second largest city in Westeros. The lords of Oldtown are Hightowers and they tend to mind their own business and stay neutral in conflicts.

The Tyrells rule from Highgarden. What do you men with the east? Essos or Dorne? I assume Dorne.

Well, there has been fighting and feuds for generations in the Dornish Marches between smaller houses on both sides. Tyrell-Martell relations are probably quite strained considering the tournament where Willas Tyrell was maimed when jousting against the Red Viper.

Someone else can surely answer better than me.

Sorry I mean Oldtowns on the left and Sunspear is on the right in Westros. Like the Pacific and the Atlantic. They both seem pretty powerful and must have some deep history. Like how the Karstarks and Starks have deep history.

I forgot about Willas! Thanks for reminding me, that helps paint the picture now.

• 3 weeks later...

Dorne is an independent city-state, I think, but at one time was conquered for the Seven Kingdoms. I don't remember if it was conquered and rebelled just once or if it has been a kind of off and on thing over the course of its history. When it was conquered, the Lords of Highgarden (the Tyrells) would be in charge of ruling Dorne and suppressing rebellion. Here's Oberyn Martell's little story to Tyrion that I think explains things:

"When the Young Dragon conquered Dorne so long ago, he left the Lord of Highgarden to rule us after the Submission of Sunspear. The Tyrell moved with his tail from keep to keep, chasing rebels and making certain that our knees stayed bent. He would arrive in force, take a castle for his own, stay a moon's turn, and ride on to the next castle. It was his custom to turn the lords out of their own chambers and take their beds for himself. One night he found himself beneath a heavy velvet canopy. A sash hung down near the pillows, should he wish to summon a wench. He had a taste for Dornish women, this Lord Tyrell, and who can blame him? So he pulled upon the sash, and when he did the canopy above him split open, and a hundred red scorpions fell upon his head. His death lit a fire that soon swept across Dorne, undoing all the Young Dragon's victories in a fortnight. The kneeling men stood up, and we were free again." - Storm of Swords, p. 908-909.

So it's a very old feud that was probably inflamed by that tourney and Willas Tyrell's injury.

Archived