Samwell 1

int11

I was reminded of this chapter today and wanted to see if anyone enjoyed it as much as I did. (Samwell is walking through the snow and reflects on the battle on The Fist.)

I think it was beautifully written. There's not much dialogue and no action (until he kills the wight of course), but is mainly driven by Sam's thoughts. Not sure how to describe how I felt but I was very captivated.

Check this out:

Sam fell over sideways, curling up into a tight ball to protect himself from the kicks. He hardly felt them through all his wool and leather and mail, but even so, they hurt. I thought Grenn was my friend. You shouldn’t kick your friends. Why won’t they let me be? I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little.

I read that like four times in a row. Works better in context of course.

Also, I got a similar feeling at the end of the book when

Sansa was building a snow castle at the Eyrie.

(Btw, I've read ASoS and I'm halfway through AFfC.)

I thought that chapter was wonderful. His recounting of the battle at the fist and the ensuing escape in the woods was chilling and horrifying. I thought the same thing as you... This writing is sublime. GRRM was on a whole other level at times during ASOS.

Btw, I'm about 300 pages into AFFC as well, but try to avoid mentioning anything from future books in these threads as they are for people still reading or just finished the particular book to try to keep it as spoiler free as possible.

I was completely shocked when I saw that Sam was a POV character (I'm almost at 300 pages into ASOS) just like Jaime's.

I thought his chapter complimented where the prologue left off. It was so well written and so descriptive. It made me like Sam even more.

Archived