[Spoilers] Did anyone else get chills when Davos.....

Yes, I really enjoyed that part, he started reading the words alone and then when it started to make sense.... :stunned: wow.

He probably was the only one that took the letter seriously and brought the word foward to Stannis (if I'm not mistaken that letter was pretty old and no one gave it attention until Davos took it).

First post on these forums btw B)

Grats to first post. And, indeed that part was good, even though i would say that there are other parts much more chilling. That book is probably the best, and at first you don't even know that he is reading it and then they are going to take boats to The Wall.

Grats to the first post.

It was just so funny because I was thinking why does he need to learn how to read? Everything else he exceeds in. Davos is easily one of my favorite characters and his relationship with stannis is tremendous! Stannis's respect for davos is what makes him a good king.
I was thinking the same thing until GRRM answers the question with the contents of the letter. I loved the conversation between Stannis and Jon where Stannis tells Jon how Davos told him that he had winning the throne backwards....that you have to protect the realm first. That is about where I left off, so I can't speak to what Stannis did after that, but I am with you. My regard for Stannis is much higher for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved when he read the letter from the Wall to Stannis. That was moment for Davos.

Exactly. I think it was really a memorable thing in the book. But all of it was splendidly written, the reading lesson, then his slow realisation what he was reading ("what does it actually mean...?"). It took me a while to figure out what he did when he read it to Stannis, but I felt also so proud of him because he could read! Ah, that's a wonderful dimension to Davos, I had almost forgotten about it...

I completely miss read that part where he reads the letter to Stannis, so when Stannis came to attack the wall had no clue who it was until the words Stannis appeared, actually I thought it was Iron Islanders at first when someone yelled out Iron Men, like what are Iron islanders doing north of the Wall, but when I heard the words of Stannis I was like, yep I was on the Right team, go Team Stannis!.

Tho post Astapor I am also on Danny's team as well.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I found the Stannis storyline quite boring, however, I don't fuss about it much because I really like Davos as a character. I just found him to be the most humble, if humility is even an existent quality in the ASoIaF universe. His ability to see the bigger picture and just pure loyalty to Stannis through thick and thin is a quality missing in many of the other characters. So good for him for being able to read. I'm two chapters shy of reaching that part of the books and already I'm feeling excited about it because I know how important it is for him.

YES. That scene where he's on his knees, Stannis' sword at his neck -- then he proceeds to read the letter that lead Stannis to the Wall .. Oh gods, these two. :wub:

Another great Davos moment was his vengeance line while he was at the Merman's court:

"What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!"

Archived