NBA Playoffs 2012 - Prelude to Punches

Greywolf2375

That's a great visual anecdote of what Garnett does for his team and really serves as a night and day contrast to the Heat's leadership vacuum. Or diffused leadership. Because unlike the other teams left, no-one on the Heat gives off the sense of being the guy who will not let their team lose. Whereas Garnett, Ginoblii (even in defeat) and Durant have all had stretches of doing everything humanly possible to lift their team. The Heat failing in the clutch seems to be symptomatic of the larger question of how badly do those guys want it?

I just think it is surprising that often even the role players on the Heat seem disinterested (save Battier). Why are these guys on the team again, if not to bring defense and hustle? After all, nobody asks them to do anything other than hit spot up jumpers on offense....

I just think it is surprising that often even the role players on the Heat seem disinterested (save Battier). Why are these guys on the team again, if not to bring defense and hustle? After all, nobody asks them to do anything other than hit spot up jumpers on offense....

I think that's part of the problem. My guess is that the big 3 largely treat them like shit/ignore them, and they feel like hangers-on or glorified water boys rather than part of the team. I mean, it's like the "team" is LBR, Wade, and Bosh, and the other guys are sort of a different group altogether. I don't think I've ever seen something like that before -- they must feel more like spectators some of the time, from that ridiculous announcement party right through the present. Self-motivation must be tough.

Garnett has always been about effort and winning more than himself, and he's intolerant of people on his team who don't think the same way. But at least (sniff, sniff) that means he cares and considers them part of the team. He's a bit of a douche, but the guy is freaking focused. Really, if they somehow manage to pull off a championship (I think they'd lose in the Finals, but whatever), this will be the year that defines Garnett's career, because it will have been his will as much as his talent (especially at his age) that does it.

JL - I'm not sure about the C's not being able to slow down the Thunder. That was one of the Heat's biggest strengths and right now the Celtics are in control of that. I think what the Thunder (among other things) do have that the Heat do not in these situations is a guy who will make Jimmy McGinty happy:

"Winners always want the ball....when the game is on the line"

I actually read quite an interesting article on the subject of pace the other day: http://gothicginobili.com/?p=3068

The basic premise was to look at the win-loss records of different teams depending on the number of possessions in the game. Not necessarily the results you'd expect. Miami actually do best when the game is slow, while San Antonio dominate when the pace is quick.

ST

Lebron:

We played good enough to give us a chance to win. That's all you can ask for.

As Adrian Wojnarowski points out: In what universe is that all the three time NBA Most Valuable Player can ask for?

But in fairness to Lebron, I'm sure he also meant the orange slices and participation trophies they get for playing really hard.

If the Celtics win the NBA Championship this year, I am changing one of the boys' name to Rajon Rondo Roberts.

Kentucky fans all over this great country whole heartedly support you. If Dub kicks you out, you're more than welcome to come live with us and our kids: DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis Owsley. (Weird... because DeMarcus is actually my step-daughter, she still tries to go by Isabella; but we think it will pass.)

But in fairness to Lebron, I'm sure he also meant the orange slices and participation trophies they get for playing really hard.

Heh..."GOOD JOB! GOOD EFFORT"

That killed me.

Spurs and especially Steven Jackson are ridiculously on fire. They seem intent on not going quietly into that good night.

Unless Durant (or maybe Westbrook?) absolutely blows up in the second half, we're on the way to a game 7.

Heh..."GOOD JOB! GOOD EFFORT"

That killed me.

Too funny.

Holy Fuck, the Thunder came back from 18 to take the lead...in less than a quarter. Didn't even seem to break a sweat either. And this despite Steven Jackson being unable to miss a single 3 pointer.

Great game.

Amazing. And by the end I was even rooting for the Spurs just hoping this awesome series could continue but they were fighting against a tidal wave in the second half.

If OKC isn't a team of destiny this year, I don't think they exist.

If the Celtics win the NBA Championship this year, I am changing one of the boys' name to Rajon Rondo Roberts.

Dub can bite me.

Unless you ask the mayor of Boston the guys name and then you have to name him "Hondo". Along that note, apparently he also thinks that Kevin Johnson is doing a great job for them as well....

well I'll be damned. Nice comeback Thunder. Spurs don't lose for a month and a half or whatever it was then lose 4 in a row. Hopefully the C's can close out tonight so they can get some rest in before Tuesday.

Lebron:

As Adrian Wojnarowski points out: In what universe is that all the three time NBA Most Valuable Player can ask for?

Not to dogpile on him, but I just watched the Magic-Bird HBO special about their relationship on & off the court and yeah, that's not something you would have ever heard them say. Jordan? No.

Listened to a Wally Szczerbiak interview yesterday and he commented on Lebron, 4th quarters, etc. He came out and said Miami Lebron is not Cleveland Lebron - Cleveland Lebron was better and would take the game over at the start of the 4th rather than let the game get down to the final few seconds when a big shot was needed.

I hope the Celtics close tonight otherwise I have the Heat taking game 7.

As far as schadenfreude goes though, I think there would be a lot to savor if Miami were to lose in the finals to the Thunder. A dream team in their prime losing to a young team that has many years left in them, Kevin Durant stealing the ring that is dangling in front of LJ's face, etc. etc.

I hope the Celtics close tonight otherwise I have the Heat taking game 7.

As far as schadenfreude goes though, I think there would be a lot to savor if Miami were to lose in the finals to the Thunder. A dream team in their prime losing to a young team that has many years left in them, Kevin Durant stealing the ring that is dangling in front of LJ's face, etc. etc.

Yeah, I remember reading an article to that effect. Lebron has one last excuse, which is just that the generation ahead of him is really good. This obviously gets weaker each year, but as long as the teams winning the championship are the Kobe-led Lakers, the Dirk-led Mavs or the Duncan-led Spurs, then you can argue that it's "just not time yet". But if any players younger than him lead their teams to a championship (Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant), then it's obviously not inexperience that's the problem. And now the Thunder, obviously younger and obviously hungry, are knocking on the door.

First, I hate LeBron.

Second, his major problem is that he completely sucks as a leader, and therefore doesn't make the people around him better. Sure, he gets assists, but he's never been the kind of guy who makes teammates play harder, or seek more self-improvement. That has the effect of putting even more pressure on him to perform personally, and his fear of failure can paralyze him as a result.

For him, it has always been a game. He loves dominating, he loves highlights, he loves being "hot" and loved. He does not actually enjoy competition for the sake of competition, which is something most of the truly great ones have. Brian Windhorst, who covered LBJ here in Cleveland and now for ESPN, recently nailed that point in an interview I heard.

Unless you ask the mayor of Boston the guys name and then you have to name him "Hondo". Along that note, apparently he also thinks that Kevin Johnson is doing a great job for them as well....

That was awesome. I too have been blown away by the heart displayed by KJ and Hondo. Mayor Menino is right - this is the proudest Boston moment since Varitek split the uprights.

Yeah, I remember reading an article to that effect. Lebron has one last excuse, which is just that the generation ahead of him is really good. This obviously gets weaker each year, but as long as the teams winning the championship are the Kobe-led Lakers, the Dirk-led Mavs or the Duncan-led Spurs, then you can argue that it's "just not time yet". But if any players younger than him lead their teams to a championship (Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant), then it's obviously not inexperience that's the problem. And now the Thunder, obviously younger and obviously hungry, are knocking on the door.

This very well may be LeBron's last chance for awhile because OKC has the look of a dynasty. Miami very well may have to trade Wade because he's already starting to breakdown. They may have a better chance of building a better 12 man roster around LeBron and Bosh.

OKC is going to win multiple titles. Three legitimate superstars all under 24. Good role players who know their role and relish it. Harden comes off the bench to provide that key bench scoring even though he's the third best (you could argue second best) player on the team. It's gotta be kind of frightening to all the other teams in the league how great this team is and how long that could last. I'm almost in favor of the Bulls blowing up their team while it takes the probable 2 years for Rose to come back 100% healthy. The Bulls constituted the way they are now cannot beat this Thunder team.

This very well may be LeBron's last chance for awhile because OKC has the look of a dynasty. Miami very well may have to trade Wade because he's already starting to breakdown. They may have a better chance of building a better 12 man roster around LeBron and Bosh.

I would be in favor of this. Their team as currently constructed only works in video games. And, unlike virtually everyone else, I actually do want Lebron to win a title (although once he wins one, I'll probably stop caring).

OKC is going to win multiple titles. Three legitimate superstars all under 24. Good role players who know their role and relish it. Harden comes off the bench to provide that key bench scoring even though he's the third best (you could argue second best) player on the team. It's gotta be kind of frightening to all the other teams in the league how great this team is and how long that could last. I'm almost in favor of the Bulls blowing up their team while it takes the probable 2 years for Rose to come back 100% healthy. The Bulls constituted the way they are now cannot beat this Thunder team.

The only real question is whether they are going to be able to keep such a talented group together with the salary cap. Will Durant and Westbrook want max contracts if they win this championship? Will Harden and Ibaka want money that their talent deserves. Will they be able to keep their talented role players like Perkins/Sefolosha/Collison, or will salary constrants force them to bring the dregs of the NBA like the Heat are fielding?

I would also like to note that Westbrook is much better than Harden, the only reason they look comparable is because Harden plays less minutes and generally has less defense focusing on him.

Archived