Why do they keep changing wonderful dialog? *semi spoilers*

It all started in season 1 when catalyn tells Jon snow "I want you to get out" instead of the amazingly cold brutal line "It should have been you"

But they just keep on re-writing perfect dialog and replacing it with subpar/campy/cheesey dialog.

I can't wait for Roose Bolton to stab Rob through the chest and say "Time to die stark!" instead of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards"

I love the casting in this show...its pitch perfect for 99% of the characters... but why do the writers feel the need to butcher scenes with their changes dialog?

It all started in season 1 when catalyn tells Jon snow "I want you to get out" instead of the amazingly cold brutal line "It should have been you"

But they just keep on re-writing perfect dialog and replacing it with subpar/campy/cheesey dialog.

I can't wait for Roose Bolton to stab Rob through the chest and say "Time to die stark!" instead of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards"

I love the casting in this show...its pitch perfect for 99% of the characters... but why do the writers feel the need to butcher scenes with their changes dialog?

Well your specific example was probably to avoid all the Cat hate the sprung up amongst book fans over it (though I agree it should have been kept as it was.). As to the rest, who knows? No one's expecting a word for word adaptation, but there are certainly some great lines that would've worked very well in the show but were left out.

Well your specific example was probably to avoid all the Cat hate the sprung up amongst book fans over it (though I agree it should have been kept as it was.).

I don't think that is the reason - in an interview Kit Harrington referenced how in the show Catelyn hates him.

Like most of the series - they have absolutely nailed some pieces of it and some they have missed on. Some of the pieces they have nailed were not as in the books (the Arya capture/Lommy getting killed scene being one), some of the pieces they have missed were in the books (Catelyn/Jon in Brans room).

I don't think that is the reason - in an interview Kit Harrington referenced how in the show Catelyn hates him. Like most of the series - they have absolutely nailed some pieces of it and some they have missed on. Some of the pieces they have nailed were not as in the books (the Arya capture/Lommy getting killed scene being one), some of the pieces they have missed were in the books (Catelyn/Jon in Brans room).

True, but perhaps they thought that was just going a little bit over-board. They perhaps didn't want that hanging over Cat's characterisation.

If they have Roose shout something that cheesy as he is stabbing Robb Stark, then they need to have an accompanying Wilhelm Scream! If you are going to be campy, might as well go all out.

I think that in the first season they were a lot more faithful to the book in terms. Most of the scenes that were in the book were almost word-for-word and it just sounded great. This season however even the scenes taken from the book barely resemble them in terms of dialogue and has made this season so much weaker in my opinion.

True, but perhaps they thought that was just going a little bit over-board. They perhaps didn't want that hanging over Cat's characterisation.

Could be...whatever their reason, it was a loss as that would have been a BRUTAL scene to see. And I miss it.

Utilizing the book's dialogue tremendously improves the tv series, adding a literary feel to the story. Removing and changing the dialogue to tv cliches harms the series. Changing Cat's line shows a lack of bravery as it would take some courage to have a main heroine speak something so negative.

I vaguely remember D&D saying that they felt the look she gave him was enough to convey her words.

Yes; I heard this as well.

TV is just a different medium.. there are different tricks of the trade. The ultimate goal is to produce quality, premium TV and not to please every fan. There are incredible time and budget constraints to work with; good actors can speak paragraphs with their faces. The little exchange where Tyrion awkardly almost-hugs Cercei and Cercei pulls back, they both look so lost and confused.. it is masterful acting. The series is rich with moments like this, and it's much more enjoyable if you just put the books out of your mind and enjoy it as a TV series.

I may be wrong, but I think if you're looking for a more faithful adaptation through another medium you might enjoy the graphic novels.

Because "It should have been you," is a terrible cheesy, clichéd line that is used all the time across tonnes of mediums. It works well enough in the books but on the show it would have been intolerably melodramatic, especially seeing as at that point we hadn't had too much background info on Jon other than he was a bastard.

That's just your example though. There have been times, this season especially, where I wish they kept the original dialogue. I can't imagine they'll change the "Jaime Lannister sends his regards line." Though, only if Jaime and Roose meet, which I pray they will.

I wouldn't assume anything as far as what they will or won't leave in the show in the future. I do wish they would make more attempts to stick to the dialogue. Some times it is frustrating when they half keep a phrase like when Tyrion was talking to Jon in season 1 for example and he told Jon that every dwarf is a bastard in his father's eyes, but they left out the second part which was "not every bastard needs to be a dwarf", which I though was a pretty powerful line. Of course everyone has their favorite lines and they can't include them all, but it is frustrating to see one of your favorites cut and then have them make screen time for a fart joke they made up.

I don't see it myself.

But to quote Charles Dance , he said , the reason he signed on was because the teleplays was so good. Dance has been around the block a lot, he knows good writing when he sees it... I'll go with Dance.

I don't see it myself. But to quote Charles Dance , he said , the reason he signed on was because the teleplays was so good. Dance has been around the block a lot, he knows good writing when he sees it... I'll go with Dance.

yeah, the season one teleplays were. the recent ones......

"Jaime Lannister sends his regards" is probably my favorite line in the series..if they cut that out..I don't know what I will do. It is a very iconic moment and I strongly feel that Roose will play a larger role next season, so this line should definitely still happen. Still far too early to tell though.

I do wonder why the show has Dany say "fire and blood" in every conversation though. Makes no sense.

yeah, the season one teleplays were. the recent ones......

Even with a lot of the changes, the dialogue remains a standout part of the show, some of it is brilliant beyond the words. It's a far cry better from most of the other tripe on television these days.

Even made up scenes can and have been great. I have never doubted the talent in this show both in front and behind the camera. The problems have started this season because of the amount of devergences. The extra scenes last year were all very good. Varys also generally gets good lines.

Seriously? “Literary”? Surely you jest!

Yes, in some places Martin does on occasion do a nice job, but in many he does not. Indeed, it’s all downhill after Storm.

I sure as hell pray that they toss a lot of that tedious clichéd crap out the door where it belongs. If they make TV viewers choke it down, they’re dead meat.

This is stuff that having an actual editor would have fixed, but somehow by the time Storm rolls around, there’s nobody manning the helm at Martin’s publisher. Simply scandalous.

It bodes not well for the future, either.

as opposed to that memorable speech that talyne gave last episode. something bout a brother drowning

YAWN

Archived