Rickon and Jeyne Poole (Theon I Spoilers)

DurararaFTW

So, in Theon I Stannis sends "Arya", really Jeyne Poole back to the Wall to Jon Snow. Now Jon Snow may not be dead, or at least, stay dead but he'll most likely not be in a position to tell Stannis' crew that this ain't Arya. So that charade may go on for quite some time. Meanwhile Davos is retrieving Rickon from Skagos. Now let's say he succeeds, do you think Rickon will be able to clear up the matter? He was only 3 years old when Arya left Winterfell.

I think that Massey, the banker, Jeyne and Alysane won't get to the Wall. I suspect that they'll hear on the road that Jon was assassinated, and Massey will have to take everyone to Braavos with him, and the real Arya will hear of or see Jeyne and that could be what finally gets her to go back to Westeros.

I think that Massey, the banker, Jeyne and Alysane won't get to the Wall. I suspect that they'll hear on the road that Jon was assassinated, and Massey will have to take everyone to Braavos with him, and the real Arya will hear of or see Jeyne and that could be what finally gets her to go back to Westeros.

Sounds logical to me.

That's reasonable. But don't you think that this way it's gonna take a very very long time to make all this happen? And that isn't even the beginning; unless GRRM makes journeys kinda faster, I mean many characters spend a lot of time just traveling. If its gonna be that way, I think GRRM would announce that he's gonna do it in 10 books rather than 7 books. After all, it was going to be 3 books and now it's seven. though I think it's not wise to argue with you, Apple Martini. I've read your posts, you're super smart.

That's reasonable. But don't you think that this way it's gonna take a very very long time to make all this happen? And that isn't even the beginning; unless GRRM makes journeys kinda faster, I mean many characters spend a lot of time just traveling. If its gonna be that way, I think GRRM would announce that he's gonna do it in 10 books rather than 7 books. After all, it was going to be 3 books and now it's seven. though I think it's not wise to argue with you, Apple Martini. I've read your posts, you're super smart.

Allow me to go on the record again as saying that I do not think he'll be done at 7 books. He could really tighten the narrative and fool me, but I'll be more surprised if he does than I will if he doesn't. 8 seems closer to reality for me.

In the first couple of books, travel was mostly done off-screen. It was really on AFFC and ADWD that included the travelogues and that was because Martin needed to fill us in on a lot of information and the best place to do that was in the detailed travel the characters undertook. I presume TWOW will be at a pace similar to ACOK or ASOS with lots of battles and off-screen movement. One of the first Asha chapters might start with them on a ship and Asha thinking about why they had to divert from going to Castle Black and head to Braavos instead. Alternatively, there might be an early Arya chapter where she runs in to them and learns through conversation or overhearing what made them all go to Braavos. Martin has already given us detailed descriptions of the travel from near Winterfell to the Wall, the travel across the Narrow Sea to Braavos, and Braavos itself. No reason to do it all over again.

In the first couple of books, travel was mostly done off-screen. It was really on AFFC and ADWD that included the travelogues and that was because Martin needed to fill us in on a lot of information and the best place to do that was in the detailed travel the characters undertook. I presume TWOW will be at a pace similar to ACOK or ASOS with lots of battles and off-screen movement. One of the first Asha chapters might start with them on a ship and Asha thinking about why they had to divert from going to Castle Black and head to Braavos instead. Alternatively, there might be an early Arya chapter where she runs in to them and learns through conversation or overhearing what made them all go to Braavos. Martin has already given us detailed descriptions of the travel from near Winterfell to the Wall, the travel across the Narrow Sea to Braavos, and Braavos itself. No reason to do it all over again.

Good point, but I don't think that GRRM wrote all those travel stuff just for the description of the landmarks, IMO it's more about the happenings along the road, and who would know what GRRM might write during these journeys. That said, I sincerely hope you're right. I'm kind of a hasty person!

There's also an Arianne chapter that GRRM have read to some people. She's on the road in that chapter! Though I didn't read or hear the chapter myself!

• 3 weeks later...

Even if Davos does retrieve Rickon+Shaggydog and Osha from Skagos, and Rickon (and Shaggydog) does tell "this ain't my sister!", will they believe him? As Durarara said, he was very young when he left Winterfell, and kinda... troubled, to say the least. And we don't know what happened to him in Skagos. I think he may come back, and try to reveal Jeyne's real identity, but won't be believed when doing so.

Allow me to go on the record again as saying that I do not think he'll be done at 7 books. He could really tighten the narrative and fool me, but I'll be more surprised if he does than I will if he doesn't. 8 seems closer to reality for me.

I guess the HBO series really will finish before GRRM does.

I guess the HBO series really will finish before GRRM does.

If you devoted two (2) seasons per book, than GRRM has six more years to finish WOW. Plus two more for the post-WOW book. I wonder if GRRM is "adjusting" the content of his books to make them more "TV adaptation-ready" ?

Even if Jon is up and about by the time they get to the wall , he might let Jeyne's charade continue ( perhaps believing Arya to probably be dead after all ) and send Jeyne on to Braavos out of sympathy. ( Instead of letting her be reviled by the North and probably having to become a prostitute )

Jeyne is still a noblewoman isn't she, although a minor one? Theon talks about House Poole's arms during the wedding. Stannis does seem to like marrying those off to his supporters. I am really worried that people will blame her for the deception, when it comes out. I hope it doesn't last too much longer. I have to admit, I found Theon's frustration with her when she was having trouble remembering Mikken's name, because he didn't make lemoncakes and was therefore not as important to her and Sansa, sort of darkly hilarious.

Even if they do hear about Jon, how could they avoid getting to the Wall??? To get to Braavos they need to go to Eastwatch, and the road there is right beside the wall... I guess there is another road from the other castles, Dreadfort, Last Hearth, but why risk something like that?? when the Umbers, Boltons, Karstarks are all enemies of Stannis?? And of course, there is another problem, are there anymore ships left at Eastwatch?? didn't the braavosi lent his ships to Jon and Cotter Pyke? :)

If you devoted two (2) seasons per book, than GRRM has six more years to finish WOW. Plus two more for the post-WOW book. I wonder if GRRM is "adjusting" the content of his books to make them more "TV adaptation-ready" ?

I highly doubt that each book will end up in 2 seasons for a couple of reasons:

1) SOS is being split more than likely due to the RW and PW. Lots of story to tell in only 10 episodes, so its getting expanded. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if AFFC/ADWD beginnings are infused in the end of season 4.

2) This series will be over before the books are, more than likely. GRRM might be more inclined to write a bit faster, because D&D are going to want to wrap up the story on screen, and probably before his books come out. They do know the broad strokes of the end of the story!

Even hit series like Sopranos only did about 7 seasons. Each season gets more and more expensive due to retaining the actors/actresses, and with a show like GOT, the cast gets bigger and bigger each season. At least in Sopranos, they had room to kill off more actors, and quickly. The TV show is going to get trimmed down.

The reason for Stannis' men marrying in the North is to gain Northern lands ,since they've lost their own in the south . Jeyne's father was Ned's steward, which would not give him any lands of his own. Under those circumstances, plus the marriage to Ramsay and her " training ", I don't think she'd be marriage bait.

I'm waiting to see if Littlefinger's part in the whole " fake Arya " scheme becomes known , and what repercussions there might be.

Jon thought of sending Arya to Braavos , he might do the same for Jeyne for some different reasons... Bayard makes a good point about the ships . Mind you, we don't know if any make it back or if some other ship has put in to Eastwatch in the meantime.

Archived