[TWoW Spoilers] New Tyrion Chapter (and the rest of the new Victarion)

Bulldog

Report from Miscon in Missoula, Montana.

George gave us quite a treat reading two chapters. I didn't have my notebook handy because I am a fool, but this is the most I can remember. Hopefully someone else there took copious notes, but to be honest there isn't a terrible amount of new information.

Victarion:

-After he shows the horn to the three deckhands, the dusky woman bleeds his wounded hand/arm into a bowl. Then Victarion takes that blood and rubs it into the horn and murmers to it softly "My horn...dragons..."

-Then he fingerbangs the dusky woman. No sex. He says he doesn't like to bust a nut before battle (my phrasing).

-The dusky woman helps him put his armor on, he gives a rousing speech to the crew and they set sail towards Meereen.

Tyrion:

-Chapter opens with Tyrion and Brown Ben Plumm playing cyvasse and listening to the Yunkish trebuchets throwing corpses over the walls.

-They have a lively conversation, with Tyrion discussing how you can tell which trebuchet is launching based on its sound. Tyrion seems to be in much better spirits and back to his old, insufferably witty self.

-The meat of this chapter is that Tyrion (while slowly beating him at cyvasse) floats the idea of Brown Ben returning to Dany's service and freeing Daario and the other hostages. Brown Ben seems very concerned with the money the Yunkish lords are wasting and doesn't immediately reject the idea.

-Someone spots sails on the horizon and they think the Volanteens have arrived, but Jorah Mormont spots the Krakens on the sails and says they are also flying dragon banners.

Sorry I couldn't remember more, but those are the bones of what he read. Plenty to discuss.

EDIT: I'm behind on these previews. Didn't see he already read the Tyrion chapter. Sorry all.

Heya Bulldog,

Thanks for this! This is interesting stuff. Looks like the battle outside Mereen is heating up. Seems like Victarion/Iron Fleet will take the Yunkish armies by surprise. GRRM will have to do a lot of fancy writing for all the pieces of the puzzle to come together for the upcoming battle. The Iron Fleet, Daenerys, her dragons, Barristan sallying forth, Tyrion and Ben Plumm going turncloak. This is going to be awesome.

Good work! Yeah the battle to come is certainly going to be interesting, to say the least. Lets just hope that the dragons wont be the deciding factor in this battle, rather the axes of the ironborn!

Where can you read the chapters

You can't read the Tyrion one anywhere yet. It has only formed the basis of a reading by GRRM at a couple of conventions.

Part of the Victarion chapter is available online, perhaps someone can provide a legitimate link.

Here.

Also, I am a little disappointed that the rest of that Victarion chapter was quite boring. Most of us were hoping something unexpected/big would happen at the end which is why he didn't read it... But I guess he just didn't have time or didn't finish writing it.

i don't wanna be childish, i can endure this thing, i surely will enjoy TWOW a lot (well, surely more than ADWD) but if he continues to spend 2-3-4-5 chapters of preparations BEFORE the real action/fact/event, no way he can end the SOIAF with seven books :)

He has 4 POV's in pretty much the same location right now; all of whom are currently not fighting anyone at the end of ADwD. Giving us a quick up date on what those characters are up to before everything goes to hell only makes sense from the prospective of a writter.

I just hope Dany makes it back in time for the fun

Here.

Also, I am a little disappointed that the rest of that Victarion chapter was quite boring. Most of us were hoping something unexpected/big would happen at the end which is why he didn't read it... But I guess he just didn't have time or didn't finish writing it.

Read out loud, by Martin. Starts at 31 mins in.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

-Someone spots sails on the horizon and they think the Volanteens have arrived, but Jorah Mormont spots the Krakens on the sails and says they are also flying dragon banners.

I wondered about that, how they'd avoid getting attacked on sight and wondered if they'd sow some dragons banners (either as a ruse or a literal statement). Sounds really cool.

Just one thing....

Does Victarions chapter mention that he made such flags and ordered them raised? This is Vics fleet Jorah sees? Its not the Crow and those ships that "went missing"?

It can't be Euron leading the "missing ships" as he's currently leading raids up the Mander against the Tyrells whilst Victarion goes to retrieve Dany for him.

Knowing that he was being sent to get Dany, I'm sure Euron would have given his brother dragon banners, or Victarion could have easily made them on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

It can't be Euron leading the "missing ships" as he's currently leading raids up the Mander against the Tyrells whilst Victarion goes to retrieve Dany for him.

Knowing that he was being sent to get Dany, I'm sure Euron would have given his brother dragon banners, or Victarion could have easily made them on the way.

I agree. It's definitely a Greyjoy fleet since they have the kraken banners and it's not Euron so it can only be Vic.

It would make sense for Vic to come with dragon banners too, since he is trying to win the favor of the dragon queen. What better way than to swoop in under her banner and destroys her enemies. Too bad Dany won't be there to see it.

• 1 month later...

Archived