How would you rate episode 209?

Ran

How would you rate episode 209?  

783 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10 for me.

Good: This was the first time I really liked the performance of the guy playing Stannis - not the Conan stuff, but for the first time I saw some of the implacable will and iron determination of the Stannis in the books. Stannis was about business tonight. I continue to be impressed with the woman playing Cersei, both in the scenes in the Maidenvault and in her scene with Tommen on the throne. It's become routine to praise Peter Dinklage but he deserved it even more than usual tonight - every Tyrion scene tonight was riveting. The confrontation between Bronn and Sandor was odd, but it worked out pretty well. And for the first time in the show I was really feeling Sansa's plight tonight. All in all, very nicely done.

Bad: Can't think of anything much, really. More CGI ships and troops would have helped, but that's a quibble. They stuck pretty close to the written story, and the script benefited enormously.

P.S. Just remembered that Martin wrote the script, so of course it stuck close to the written story :laugh:

Edited by BoldAsYouPlease

It was magnificent. 10/10. I got chills multiple times. Of course it wasn't exactly how I pictured it but it was still wonderful and completely blew me out of the blackwater. Cersei should just be drunk all the time and the scene with Tommen at the end was so powerful. Sansa was so flawless it hurt. Overall one of the best episodes yet. I can't wait until next week.

Best episode of the season, even with the changes here and there they did the battle of Blackwater justice.

My favourite part of the episode was the Hound finally being shown the way he was meant to be shown, his Scene with Sansa though a little different was perfect. It was as if when GRRM was writing this episode he sat back and said these fuckers have not done Sandor Clegane justice in the series so far, let me show them how it is done.

I wish GRRM could write every episode!.

Best episode of the season, even with the changes here and there they did the battle of Blackwater justice.

My favourite part of the episode was the Hound finally being shown the way he was meant to be shown, his Scene with Sansa though a little different was perfect. It was as if when GRRM was writing this episode he sat back and said these fuckers have not done Sandor Clegane justice in the series so far, let me show them how it is done.

I wish GRRM could write every episode!.

I agree! I am a major fan of Sansa and Sandor and the first time I watched it I was a bit disappointed to tell the truth. Second watch through though I really liked it.

I think the writers are doing a really decent job with what they have. There are some things I don't like or agree with but you can't please everyone. If GRRM wrote them all though that would be perfection.. just don't take away from his TWOW writing time. c;

I loved how Bronn had such a big part in this episode as well as his actions. it seemed better to me that bronn shot a firery arrow into the wildfire rather than whip some oxen to pull the chain up. also the conflict with the Hound in the begining was amazing! as well as what he said to tyrion. This episode made Bronn come to life as i had imagined him when i read the books.

This is how it is done.

Loved the moments with Tyrion and Bronn, and Bronn and Sandor. Great to see the tension getting to characters before the fight.

Thought Stannis was leading the men up the wall to provide contrast with Joffrey, who doesn't lead his men.

And when Varys says he hates the bells, they always sound for horror. . . and Tyrion mentions weddings. . .

Edited by Eira Seren

Ok. Please explain HOW the chain and all the wildfire burning all over the Blackwater Rush could actually BE FILMED for an hour episodic television show. No really. Go on. I want to you to explain all of it. The shots, the story boarding, the camera angles, the way THE CHAIN would be filmed underwater - and above with all the green flames on top, with bodies underneath, and oh - HOW MANY SHIPS burning and for what distance.

Some people are just ridiculous. They forget to even film a battle ship scene you need to get a huge water tank, tons of CGI, and expert stuntmen. To pull off what we even saw was a minor miracle. Not to mention saucyjak seems to enjoy picking fights.

10/10

I don't really need to go into much detail here. The episode was a masterpiece.

My emotions and facial expressions throughout the episode: :bowdown: :drool: :bowdown: :drool: :bowdown: :drool:

My response to the episode ending: :bang: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

It was a 10 episode for sure.

Im very glad they saved their CGI budget for the Blackwater explosion. I hit the 30 sec rewind just to watch that again, and thats something I never do. For me it breaks the rythm, but it was just so damn awesome. I loved the drawn out flight of Bronns fire arrow. That little scene in itself built so much anticipation and dread.

And absolutly loved the Cersei - Sansa scenes, OMG! She was so much like a cat tormenting a mouse and was so enjoying breaking that fairy-tail world Sansa was living in. That was the evil bitch from the books that I love to hate. For me Lena and Sophies performance edged out the battle scenes as my favorite parts of the episode, and I do love me some dismemeberment bloody battles, but I really do think they were that good in their scenes.

I was wondering if they were even going to give Tyrion a battle wound. And I have to say when I seen it my eyes bugged out and I was like "FUUUUCK!", it looked so damn real. And yes I hit the 30 sec rewind yet again.

Peter is really great on screen, I would say more than anyone else he really makes me believe he is Tyrion. (Not saying the others dont, he just is that character when hes acting him)

And the end when Charles Dance as Tywin comes bursting in, with Ser Loras looking grim as hell, saying it was over and they have won, it was a "Fuck yeah!!!" reaction, and then a "Wait a minute, I fucking hate the Lannisters!"

LOL

For me this episode was a roller coster ride of emotions. A for me it shows that was very well written and directed.

Now Im off to watch it again.

I felt exactly the same way about Stannis going first up the ladder with no protection. The reason kings and generals didn't lead their armies from the front, historically, is because it generally turned out disastrously. For every Leonidas who dies heroically, there's a Brasidas who dies fighting over a stupid city like Amphipolis.

It kind of varied didn't it? Alexander the Great did lead from the front, nearly got him killed in India. Not sure about Julius Caesar once he became commanding 'general'. I don't think he did, seems I remember, for the most part the roman emperors did lead from rear, or were not at the battle at all.

Tho... in medieval warfare , which is the model here, the 'in front' lead commander was , not always, the king, but warfare evolved such this mode of operation was abandoned.

Ah well ... I am not sure what George may have written...it seems like a glitch... why does Stannis not wear a helm in action? Was that true in the book? (In the book he was not at the KL assault.) In fact in this episode we see , at one point, one of his men shielding Stannis's head with a shield. It would have been an easy action sequence to fix, even if Stannis went first, just carrying a shield would have made more sense.

But I think part of that is not really knowing WTF he was doing. Maybe I missed something. Did that battlement lead directly to the holdfast or was there some other directly strategic value there?

I can see why clearing the battlement of defenders may have been necessary to enable the breaking of the gate and allow the assault to be less harassed.

Must of been a budget thing because from the point of view the battlement seemed to shrink , maybe all those tight camera angles.

Edited by boojam

10/10 like a motherfucker.

Best bits from memory having just finished it:

Dat creepy, quiet, tense pre-battle build-up, especially Davos/Matthos and Varys/Tyrion

Bronn/The Hound rivalry

WILDFIRE EXPLOSION

Stannis kicking ass

Drunken Cersei

Scared Joffrey

Scared Hound

Cersei and Tommen on the Iron Throne

Tyrion cutting legs off

Dat ending

Rains of Castamere credits

Lived up the hype. And there's still an episode left.

I was pretty hard on last week's episode (and a lot of this season on the whole), but this was a pretty satisfying episode, I really enjoyed it. I love that Martin was able to change a few things up from his own writing in the books, I can imagine that'd be a hard thing to do. Overall I still think this series could be a lot better if they free themselves up from the letter of the books more (in other words, keep the spirit of the books and the main characters intact, but shuffle it up to tighten up the plot and pacing), but for the second season in a row, Episode 9 rocks.