How would you rate episode 209?

Ran

How would you rate episode 209?  

783 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I give it a 7,

I liked the scenes inside King's Landing and the wildfire but not so much the battle. It never looked to me like Stannis' army had a chance to take the city. Even when Joffrey says "There's too many of them!", all we see are a couple or rowboats reaching the walls. The whole battle was poorly shot and edited in my opinion. Why did they put so much focus on CGI gore effects like people getting chopped in half? Because of the limited budget, they should have made Stannis' army breach the mud gate and have Tyrion lead the last defense past the gate to save the city. When all seems lost, they could have finally shown Tywin and Loras charging the rear of Stannis forces to break the siege.

Watched it a few times, to me it wasn't a "perfect episode". It was however far greater than the sum of its parts.

The acting was the best they've had - it was like everyone was given their draught of acting +5.

the writing was the best they've had - it was like, well, GRRM wrote it. fancy that.

the imagery was the best they've had - the ships in the dark, views from the castle walls, Bronn's arrow...that wildfire thing.

the action was the most they've had - there were quick cuts and maybe one too many people being split like firewood, but hey - this is slightly "fantastical".

Are there gripes? Sure...it looks like after Bronn and The Hound had their stare down that Cersei brought her entourage into the same room. One single ship and no reaction to it? Too many people being cut in half. A few too many quick cuts in scenes that made it jump around.

It was not a "perfect epsiode". Whatever that means.

it was perfect for me. 10.

edit: not too shabby, a 9.55 rating average so far.

Edited by Šedý vlk2375

Definitely a 10 and epic, and a lot of foreshadowing. I was blown away by the wildfire explosion, Sansa behaving like a queen yet seeking comfort in the spurned doll, Cersei's story to Tommen on the iron throne, Tyrion's sortie... yet forgot to look crestfallen when Tyrion's face was sliced so my viewer bf understood he's not dead. Oh well :D

As someone who has been disappointed by this season as a whole, I thought this episode was great and the only 10 I have given for this season. Any minor nitpicks or scenes I was hoping to see that didn't make it were minor enough not to detract at all. Granted I would love for them to have a Lord of the Rings movie budget to do the battles, but given the budget constraints I thought it was awesome. A virtually perfect example of how to do an adaptation and still stick very close to how the book story plays out.

The extremely minor things I missed:

1) no chain, which in the context of the show at this point made sense. No way they could have built the chain in that length of time since they hadn't mentioned it in previous episodes and I imagine it would be very hard to make it visible in a night scene anyway. Plus it would have made Davos look like an idiot to lead them into the chained off bay when he was the one pointing out the flaws in not sending ahead scouts in the books and noting the new towers which held the chain.

2) Sansa and the Hound's scene didn't quite make it clear why she refused to leave with him since she said he wouldn't hurt her, when if I remember correctly she was quite afraid of him at that point in the book. Didn't force her to sing to him. I know some non-readers seem to be confused on if she went with him or not and have made comments that she is an idiot if she did not, which it's hard to argue with in the context of the show.

3) It threw me off slightly for the Hound to directly refuse Joffrey's order. Refusing Tyrion was one thing, refusing Joffrey in the manner he did seems it would have gotten him killed or at least some reaction from the other soldiers and king's guard rather than just let him walk off.

Like I said exteremely minor things that were more expectations than complaints. Outside the context of this particular episode I wonder about what they are doing with Ser Dontas and if any non-readers will even remember who he is by the time he shows up again.

Had to give it a 10. It was almost flawless. My one minor complaint is WHY DIDN'T THE HOUND WEAR HIS HOUND HELMET? THAT IS THE COOLEST HELMET EVER!!!! He never wears the f'ing thing. Should have worn it when he rescued Sansa a few weeks ago too!!!

Other than that, GRRM should now be forced to write every episode and Neil Marshal must direct them all as well. There was such a quality difference with the cast and writing for Episode 10. The wild fire scene was jaw dropping. And Sansa was also awesome. My mother can't believe they killed tyrion. He he he.

Had to give it a 10. It was almost flawless. My one minor complaint is WHY DIDN'T THE HOUND WEAR HIS HOUND HELMET? THAT IS THE COOLEST HELMET EVER!!!! He never wears the f'ing thing. Should have worn it when he rescued Sansa a few weeks ago too!!!

Other than that, GRRM should now be forced to write every episode and Neil Marshal must direct them all as well. There was such a quality difference with the cast and writing for Episode 10. The wild fire scene was jaw dropping. And Sansa was also awesome. My mother can't believe they killed tyrion. He he he.

R.M. said the reason he doesn't wear the Hound Helmet is because it is too hard to see out of when fighting. Didn't want to injure anyone during filming the scenes.

Also, a few folks asked me today if Tyrion was dead . . . good adaptation with Ser Moore.

In one vast swoop of Sandors sword, that episode made me forget every complaint ive had with this series, sure it wasnt *quite* like the book, but as far as bringing the best of Blackwater to the TV screens, the did it with stunning results.

It was directed well, produced brilliantly and very well written.

I have no real complaints to add, except for the need for ad breaks!!

Ad breaks? You need ad breaks? Or where you are has ad breaks? If it's the latter I'm wondering where is that, that shows GoT WITH ad breaks? :shocked: