How would you rate episode 209?

Ran

How would you rate episode 209?  

783 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Sansa's realization that the Hound is no one to fear despite his looks. The Hound's fear on the strand.

I've always seen the Hound's story as kind of a parallel to Jaime's. Both men have defined themselves essentially by one characteristic--and then both have that self-image ripped away from them (Jaime is no longer a fearsome warrior, thr Hound no longer a fearless one). It's where they go from the point that they realize they have to redefine themselves where they diverge. Jaime becomes something better, the Hound something less.

Honestly, having read the books, I can understand the disappointment of some but realistically there is no way to turn GRRM's story into a viable series without massive changes by the scriptwriters. I think they have done a phenomenal job, personally, and don't envy them their task. I think the fact that people that are completely unfamiliar with the books can get involved with this story is testament to the skill f the directors and writers. Great fun and wonderful acting. Not perfect but good lord, how could it be? So sad it all ends next wek and months till it starts again.

A skillful compaction of a complex and intense event. Cersei truly shone in her scenes. I admit that I was a tad disappointed by the omission of Tyrion's brilliant strategies, but I am not going to diss the Master. God, I love this show almost as much as I love the books.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I like the fact that they have Stannis leading by example. Makes me love the character even more. The explosion of wildfire was magnificent. The tension leading up to battle. The Rains of Castamere. Bronn and The Hound in action. Cersei being the evil queen b that she is. Great episode.

Edited by greywindsrage

I only wish we had the Ghost of Renly, some evidence of the Tyrell's presence, and a bit less effort to lend Stannis the appearance of respectability.

That said, it is still a solid 9.

Do *ANY* of your posts *NOT* mention your hatred for poor, complicated, much-maligned Stannis!? ;) j/k

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you write the show. Changes? Yes. Characters remaining within the paradigm of what the showrunners have defined (Cersei and Sandor, most notably)? Yep. But it all actually clicks together.

My biggest beefs: I wish they didn't have to Hollywoodize Stannis and have him swinging his sword in the forefront, but okay, you want to give him an action moment, I guess. And I wish someone had been shouting, "Renly!" and you'd see the guys in Renly's kit still throwing down their swords or turning on their own.

But... uh. Those complaints, they are minor.

Regarding Hollywoodizing Stannis and other major characters in any movie/show, it's the fact that they rarely given them helmets. Stannis could have had his head crushed.

But this episode: 10 10 10 10 10, 10 on everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, having read the books, I can understand the disappointment of some but realistically there is no way to turn GRRM's story into a viable series without massive changes by the scriptwriters. I think they have done a phenomenal job, personally, and don't envy them their task. I think the fact that people that are completely unfamiliar with the books can get involved with this story is testament to the skill f the directors and writers. Great fun and wonderful acting. Not perfect but good lord, how could it be? So sad it all ends next wek and months till it starts again.

I agree, and I find it telling that all of the complaints we see here (some, admittedly, justified and some just plain ludicrous) are very rarely echoed outside the book lover's little bubble. Reviews are stupendous, ratings are stupendous. Their goal is to make great television, and they have wholly succeeded!

10/10

Although Tywin's charge felt a bit rushed, that overall scene with Cersei telling the story of the lion cubs while Tywin's host was riding into battle was chillingly good. I kind of wish they put more emphasis on the mass defections that occurred when everyone thought it was Renly riding into battle, but hey, that was still probably one of the best things I've seen on T.V.

10/10

EDIT: and the hound's exit was AWESOME. When he said "fuck the kingsgaurd" my expression pretty much mirrored Tyrion's exactly, and I knew what was coming to boot.

Edited by Tewks44

I honestly cannot describe how great this episode was. I really wasn't expecting so much of the actual battle, but I loved every second. I mean it was dead on the book the majority of the time. And I can't believe how big that wildfire explosion was, and so GREEN! I can't wait for the season finale, but I don't know how it can top this.

Also, I loved Cersei's preformance, it was so much like the book, the way she lost it after hearing Lancel came in and said the battle was lost. And when Tywin stormed in, that was awesome.

And Stannis was also great, He's starting to grow on me in the book, mainly because of the character on the show

A 9.5. It was brilliant, but I agree with those who felt like the Hound/Bronn exchange, for all its mildly interesting tension, was unnecessary given the sheer quantity of things that happen during the battle - Tyrion's charge was definitely too rushed - it seemed like they literally turned the tide within a matter of seconds, and then Tywin came charging in half a minute later. Tyrion's the heart and soul of the battle - I actually would havepreferred even more emphasis on him.

Still, flipping awesome episode.