[Book Spoilers] Dear Writers Who Do Not Answer To the Name George R.R. Martin,

Katydid

D&D got their praises when it was due in season 1, then they decided to stick us with the cheesy end.

Agreed, they did a fine job last year. This year it was just not up to par to that, and they got flak for it... let's hope they will follow the season 1 route with season three.

It's no suprise to me that Both episodes written by GRRM are the finest of the two seasons so far.

I agree, this episode was a beautiful adaption of the book.

It is possible to stay with the books and create a wonderful television experience.

Because he not only did it, but far exceeded every other episode this season.

It was just fantastic...the wildfire, seeing a glimpse of the real Hound, the Cersei and Sansa interactions, Tyrion being awesome, Stannis being badass and yet shouting as he was taken away in sadness, the battle scenes....

Oh, and the Rains of Castamere by The National in the credits. The National are my favorite band, and to hear them play TRoC is just...awesome beyond belief.

Can't he just write every episode? Of course, he should focus on TWOW, but I'm sure he could manage it!!!

Such an amazing episode, it stood out, showing just how talented Martin is, and how he can instantly make a difference compared to the other episodes. Brilliant dialogues, great character developments, hilarious lines. ("QUARTERMAN" was fantastic)

Bravo, and I hope that if he can't write all the episodes, he can at least be present and advise the other writers.

To be fair, this episode did have the biggest budget out of all the episodes by far, so it was much easier for him to recreate Blackwater as close to the books as possible. I think that a lot of ya'll are overlooking that fact....not to mention the Battle of Blackwater and Ned's death were the climax in both the books...

Don't get me wrong GRRM did a great job, but he did have much more to work with in this episode than D&D had in any other episode.

GRRM did write a brilliant episode. However, I gotta hand it to D&D for all that they have done to take this from book to screen and they have done a fantastic job working the source material in with the various constraints. I don't think enough people give them the credit they deserve and that's a shame.

Just so it gets said again. I have my complaints and nitpicks about what I have liked and haven't liked, but what they have done to take this from how everyone has imagined these scenes to look to what they have created is quite an amazing accomplishment.

It is possible to stay with the books and create a wonderful television experience.

I was going to write out a list of all of the changes from the book to the television show, but you can pretty much go scene by scene and find them. My point is that this episode has as many changes as any other episode of the season, We would just look pretty silly talking about how GRRM doesn't know anything about these characters.

Oh here we go.

Look, GRRM is the boss. I think this was a fantastic, extremely strong episode, which kept more in line with the book while allowing for cuts to be made. I hardly even cared about the changes, because everything else in the episode was so immense. This is my opinion, that is yours. No need to be insulting. If you don't think GRRM is an incredibly amazing writer, then why are you here?

There's a great difference between thinking that GRRM is a great writer, and being a fanatic, that would turn everything that he does into some holy grail of perfection, while lambasting every other writer that dares to change even the minor thing of the books to make the best adaptation possible, because "they don't understand the novels" The arrogance.

I was going to write out a list of all of the changes from the book to the television show, but you can pretty much go scene by scene and find them. My point is that this episode has as many changes as any other episode of the season, We would just look pretty silly talking about how GRRM doesn't know anything about these characters.

You give certain people a big enough battle with enough violence to orgasm over and nothing else will matter to them.

It was a good episode, but not the pinnacle of all TV ever like some are making it out to be.

There's a great difference between thinking that GRRM is a great writer, and being a fanatic, that would turn everything that he does into some sacred grail of perfection, while lambasting every other writer that dares to change even the minor thing of the books to make the best adaptation possible, because "they don't understand the novels" The arrogance.

Sage post.

To be fair, this episode did have the biggest budget out of all the episodes by far, so it was much easier for him to recreate Blackwater as close to the books as possible. I think that a lot of ya'll are overlooking that fact....not to mention the Battle of Blackwater and Ned's death were the climax in both the books...

It didn't cost GRRM a single penny of any budget to write the characters properly.

My main issues with this season has been not so much with the changes to the story, but the changes to some of the characters. The softening of Cersei is my biggest gripe, with the Evyl-fying of Joffrey a close second. Having him become the mastermind behind the slaying of Robert's bastards was atrocious. Book!Joffrey is a spoiled idiot who is ultimately unimportant to the bigger picture (except in how his death pushes Cersei further into batshit territory.) I saw no need to try and make him some uber-villain him for the series, nor waste precious screentime on his need to watch two whores beating each other.

Watching Cersei bow her head contritely, cowed underneath his 'I could hang you for this' threat was equally painful.

I felt like George got the two of them, specifically, back on track with 'Blackwater'. Seeing Joffrey racing to hide behind his mommy's skirts in the heat of battle is the Joffrey I've wanted to see all season. Watching a sadistic Cersei sitting with her youngest son on her lap, ready to poison him to death, as well. I thank GRRM for delivering.

It didn't cost GRRM a single penny of any budget to write the characters properly.

My main issues with this season has been not so much with the changes to the story, but the changes to some of the characters. The softening of Cersei is my biggest gripe, with the Evyl-fying of Joffrey a close second. Having him become the mastermind behind the slaying of Robert's bastards was atrocious. Book!Joffrey is a spoiled idiot who is ultimately unimportant to the bigger picture (except in how his death pushes Cersei further into batshit territory.) I saw no need to try and make him some uber-villain him for the series, nor waste precious screentime on his need to watch two whores beating each other.

Watching Cersei bow her head contritely, cowed underneath his 'I could hang you for this' threat was equally painful.

I felt like George got the two of them, specifically, back on track with 'Blackwater'. Seeing Joffrey racing to hide behind his mommy's skirts in the heat of battle is the Joffrey I've wanted to see all season. Watching a sadistic Cersei sitting with her youngest son on her lap, ready to poison him to death, as well. I thank GRRM for delivering.

Cersei was vulnerable in this episode too, when she was drinking with Sansa and at the very end, not that much different from what we've seen so far (except GRRM wrote this episode). With regards to Joffrey, he was always a cowardly character in the series, this episode didn't bring that Joffrey back, he was always there (GRRM did write this episode). I understand we all have opinions and interpretations but I really didn't see that much difference in these characters in this episode than in previous ones.

You give certain people a big enough battle with enough violence to orgasm over and nothing else will matter to them.

It was a good episode, but not the pinnacle of all TV ever like some are making it out to be.

Oh... Don't mistake me. This was the best episode of television that I have ever seen in my life. All I am doing is pointing out that this episode had as much or more changes in it than any of the other episodes. The characters were even drastically changed in places.

There's a great difference between thinking that GRRM is a great writer, and being a fanatic, that would turn everything that he does into some holy grail of perfection, while lambasting every other writer that dares to change even the minor thing of the books to make the best adaptation possible, because "they don't understand the novels" The arrogance.

'Fanatic' is an awful term, and inappropriate too. If I was such a fanatic, I wouldn't watch this TV show, due to all the deviations. I've never said GRRM is perfect, but I for one find myself comparing other novels to his, and after reading his level of writing, it took me a while to get into other books. That's just testament to him as an author, and for spending all his time on these novels. They're not perfect, it feels like we spend half our lives on here arguing about things and nitpicking, but, as Katydid said above, the real treat of having GRRM write an episode was seeing the characters as they should be, as he created them. Most other writers on this show pale in comparison in that effect.

The changes, meh, I realise there were probably the same amount in this episode as the others, but the way it was written made it feel that bit better, for me. Plus, as I said, the way the characters were portrayed seemed much truer to the books. I'm annoyed about there being no chain, and while I'll bitch about changes like this in every episode, I can still appreciate an incredibly strong episode when I see one. This is one.

So, thank you GRRM, for taking time out of your busy schedule to write this episode and give us Blackwater in the best possible way.

Book Joffrey is about fourteen. Show Joffrey is seventeen. It would have been mind-numbingly stupid to write a seventeen year old Joff who is as passive as Joff in the books. Those are some of the most significant three years in a child's life. D&D had no choice but to age him up with the other characters, but to pretend that those years wouldn't change his priorities would have been simply foolish.

, the real treat of having GRRM write an episode was seeing the characters as they should be, as he created them. Most other writers on this show pale in comparison in that effect.

This isn't close to the truth... Characters were drastically changed from the books

1. Stannis would have never charged the wall himself. He led from the back of the battle

2. Bronn and Sandor would never have gotten in a who's dick is bigger contest right before a battle

3. Shae would have never gone out of her way to help Sansa... or anyone but herself for that matter.

and most importantly,

4. Cersei would have never... never... never considered poisoning Tommen.

What happened here is that GRRM adapted all of these things so that we could get similar emotional responses as we had when reading the books. This is the exact same thing that has gone on all season.

I am not saying that all of the changes this year were as good as this, Mr. Martin obviously knows just what emotional response he wants from his series and was able to adapt these things better than anyone else.

Archived