Can i read the book?

lordpektroni

Yes, some things have been changed, characters combined or altered and plot points skipped. You will must out on a lot if you skip the first two books. Anyway - what's the rush? There's plenty of time before season three starts surely?

I would suggest read the first two and then move on to A storm of Swords. I was in a similar situation where I only started reading the books after the watching the first season. I started with the first book and then tore through the rest. My advice is that you should read them , there is alot of stuff in book 1 especially with internal monologue which Eddard has which is quite important I find. You'll be confused about a couple of things at the very least if you pick up from the 3rd book

but wouldnt i know what will happen in the books from the beggining of the reading ?

actually i think you'll enjoy them even more. there are plenty of little amazing details, prophecies, secrets..read them. actually, i think that you CAN'T read A Storm of Sword without reading the first two books. there are dozens of characters and sub-plot you can't understand :)

but wouldnt i know what will happen in the books from the beggining of the reading ?

As Pernath says , you'll be confused. And there is some stuff in the first book which has been left out completely.

I agree with the others, you'll be missing out on so much if you don't read the first two books. I saw season 1 before I read the book, and I don't feel like it spoiled the experience at all. In fact I think it enhanced it, and the books are always better then the TV show/film, as there's so much more to them. ACOK is my second favourite book of the series, I seriously recommend reading them both before ASOS :)

I agree with the others, you'll be missing out on so much if you don't read the first two books. I saw season 1 before I read the book, and I don't feel like it spoiled the experience at all. In fact I think it enhanced it, and the books are always better then the TV show/film, as there's so much more to them. ACOK is my second favourite book of the series, I seriously recommend reading them both before ASOS :)

Ditto for me. I saw season 1 and picked up the audio books and plowed through GOT in 3 days! I then couldnt wait and had to get through ACoK and ASoS (just finished btw) of course i was spoiled from just looking through the forum >.< i would highly suggest reading the books first they are simply amazing! the images that HBO has helped me see who was who and where in the world they were lol

but some characters of course were left out as well as key details. I love both the adaptation and the originals. I cant wait to see how the coming seasons will be portrayed.

As for season 2 i believe there are some things from ASoS in it or at least are referenced. I havent seen the full season 2 yet but the changes made are cool especially with Harenhall!

I saw S1 before I started reading the books and I have to tell you that you gain so much from reading the books, things that were left out. There is a lot of backstory you'll miss that becomes important later and characters you miss out on. Plus, it will be confusing as well to jump into the 3rd part of a series w/o the first two. There's no rush. I wasn't in a rush and am now starting ADWD soon. Take your time, enjoy the scenic writing, character development, it's well worth it.

I'm in agreement with everyone else. I watched Season 1 and then during Season 2, I've read AGOT, ACoK and now I'm half way through ASoS. There is so much richness to the books and characters in them. It makes sense to read them because you get some fascinating backstory in POVs. With that being said, the series has adapted the books quite well within the scope of 10 episodes.

I would advise that you skip the first book A Game of Thrones and read on from the second A Clash of Kings. Reading GoT and ACoK would be a long haul for you before you can start on book three but this all depends on the reader.

Don't get me wrong though, the books are great, but i think there's a minimal difference between the first season of the series and the first book (a game of thrones). Though, in contrast, i think they changed a lot in season two compared to the second book (a clash of kings) which, albiet a long read with some chapters (especially sansa and Arya) being a bit dull, is rewarding (especially the ending, which is far more epic in he book).

regards.

yes but having seen the first to seasons wouldnt it ruin the reading of the first two books because i would know what will happen?

No, for the same reason why re-reading a book or re-watching a movie doesn't ruin the ending. If the story is enjoyable enough, why wouldn't you want to experience it multiple times?

I agree with an above poster that the first book could be skipped, but I would strongly advise reading the second book. That's not to say the first book doesn't have some cool background and details that adds to the story, but really the second season for me was sort of a disappointment. I feel like many of my friends who only watch the series don't really get the most out of the experience.

Specifically I find it most odd that for those who only watch the show Rhaegar Targaryen was just some random prince who kidnapped Lyanna and raped her. For those who have gone through GoT, aCoK and more so in aSoS, it becomes exceedingly clear that there was some f*cked up stuff going on with that dude. For a guy who's dead at the beginning of the events of the series he casts on a huge shadow on the events of the books.

I was so pumped for the house of the undying cause I thought we would finally see Rhaegar in flashback, the scene where Dany sees him with his newborn son. I won't expand on this just to be safe, but I think many readers would agree that the scene may have some important consequences for the over arching story, after all it's the first time that "A Song of Ice and Fire" is mentioned.

So yea, I'd definitely suggest going over the second book at least, it'll definitely enhance the experience.

Archived