What does Varys want?

braulio09

I just want to disagree with the statement that by the end of Dance, Varys is still a complete mystery. We might not know the details of his motivations and the exact blow-by-blow history of how they came about, but the general direction of his game becomes quite clear, as well as his true allegiance.

He could have helped Ned escape, but this Lannister/Stark quarrel might have split the realm. Which is... inconvenient to Varys. He is quite sincere about the precious realm, in Game.

Hmmmm, you'll know later (ADWD epilogue) that Varys works for the "realm" (+ he tells so to Eddard in aGoT chapter 58).

Contrary to Varys, Littlefinger does things that aren't logical: Varys says "Littlefinger... the gods only know what game Littlefinger is playing." (A Game of Thrones, Chapter 32, Arya)

I like to think that when Varys says he just wants to protect the realm as a whole, he's telling the truth. There has to be at least ONE "good" character in this series, RIGHT?!

There are good characters in these books. There are more characters who would change your mind, either way.

It's still unknown what Varys really wants other than that he serves the realm. Oh, it's revealed in ACOK that he hates sorcery. I don't recall that he's aware of the coming of the Others.

The very personal reasons for him serving the realm are known though? This isn't the subforum to discuss it, but the M's D theory is quite solid.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived