A Look at Blackwater

Westeros

Our full coverage of “Blackwater”, written by George R.R. Martin and directed by Neil Marshall, is now live! It’s quite lengthy, so the short version: amazing. Our usual video will be available some time tomorrow. Until then, enjoy the episode guide! And if you want to see what fellow fans are saying, and perhaps even join the discussion, a href=“http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/70-e09-blackwater/”>visit the forum!

Visit the Site!

I circumvented it using the 'reader' function initially, but it's not doing it now anyway. Thank you.

Pretty much agree with the whole thing, I was one of those disappointed with the lack of chain before hand. Then I only remembered its absence at the end, by far the most engrossed I've been in an episode this season. Another idea for the end might have been to see Tyrion cut, then see from his hazy point of view Tywin towering over him on his destrier, sizing up the battle. I think most people would guess that his presence meant the battle was won, so it wouldn't seem like a cheap cliffhanger. Although you'd lose Cersei's scene with Tommen which was nicely done.

These are the best reviews in print or electronic anywhere.

If only you guys had a blog on the NY Times!

Here is a question.

I noticed a few remarks by Geroge, Benioff and Weiss about how they consulted on how to shoot this episode, I am guessing Marshall was in on it too. Apparently it was GRRM who gave some important advice as to how get episode done.

I wonder what these where?

Also I am guessing that , not sure, that this was the first episode blocked out in detail before the season, and that was when Benioff and Weiss went to HBO and asked for more money. HBO was willing to talk, money given, tho some comprise was made. (The deal about 'one boat')....?

(It might not this may not have been the most expensive episode HBO has done...I can't remember BAND OF BROTHERS, but the recent PACIFIC was 200 million for 10 episodes. I am guessing that was HBO money unless Steven Spielberg chipped in. An amazing mini series by the way.)

I have no insider knowledge, but I'm guessing he suggested Tyrion essentially using a "fire ship" -- an actual naval tactic back in the days of sail -- so as to be able to cut out the whole fleet battle thing as well as the chain. I also suspect that when they said they really can't do the whole cavalry sortie out the sally port, he decided just a bunch of guys charging out wasn't so fun or interesting, so he came up with the idea of using the tunnels to get their forces out to attack.

But almost certainly his main advice was on how to use the wildfire to remove the obstacles of huge fleet engagement.

Archived