Penny (possible spoilers)

Lady Kay

They could easily keep Penny's character, but instead of having her act being riding a dog and a pig, they could make it something less 'cheesy' or 'humiliating' for the dwarf actor to have to do, like......I don't know.....she could just juggle, or do some other kind of performance. I find it highly unlikely that HBO would have someone (even if it weren't a dwarf) ride a pig or a dog like that. They could still show the exploitation that shadows her life, just change the nature of it a bit.

The stuff with Penny and Tyrion would go very, very far to addressing and examining what dwarf exploitation is and how it affects people.

Yep, dwarf exploitation - serious pressing business, in our and any other world

I am fond of Penny too and just happen to be re-reading DwD where she is featured. I think we will know at the Purple Wedding, if she and her brother show up. Penny's brother's fate also shows the impact Cersei's search for Tyrion has, and how many suffer from it.

I hope they keep Penny in the show. She adds a great dynamic to Tyrion and it would make for some great drama; not to mention another great role for a dwarf in one of TV's biggest shows. HBO could easily replace the whole jousting stuff with something a little less degrading, like juggling or something. Even if they DID cut Penny, how are they going to show Tyrion's scenes once he gets bought by that gross fat man who buys all kinds of grotesques and runs a freak show type of thing. How in the world are they going to shoot that stuff? What they definitely should NOT do, is just shy away from her role because it would require finding another dwarf actor.

The stuff with Penny and Tyrion would go very, very far to addressing and examining what dwarf exploitation is and how it affects people. I can't see why it would be cut, or why Dinklage would object to it. What I can see happening is it not being shown on screen in great detail, like some of the battles. Then, we the audience get the character reactions, and no actors have to learn how to ride a dog or small pony.

I like this idea. Keep Penny, the condemnation of dwarf entertainment, and the eye-opening experience for Tyrion, but please lose the sow-riding part. Some things play fine in printed word but would not work at all on television and I think that's one of them.

Loved the suggestion of Kiruna Stamell, she looks exactly as I pictured Penny.

I can understand why Penny might be cut, especially if Dinklage is uncomfortable with it. Nevertheless, I am possibly of the few who actually liked Penny's presence in the book. I agree that she is not long for the world, but she still had a purpose. Part of me wishes she would be brought into the show. I agree she is a mirror to Tyrion in some ways, but she also shows how someone who is born a dwarf but doesn't happen to be *male* and *highborn* might end up.

Tyrion's had a rough life, but he's also been incredibly lucky in many ways. Certain things may have been better for him if he weren't a Lannister, of course, but other things would have been just as difficult, if not worse.

I agree, I as well somewhat like Penny, though I wish for her a story where she becomes independent from her big brother Tyrion in the end, learning to live her own life, founding her own performers company e.g., not trailing after Tyrion for the rest of her life.

I have no idea if Dinklage is uncomfortable with the whole pig riding and performing story but I believe that the whole arc, the complete downfall and humiliation of the character Tyrion should be highlighted to make his probable comback more impressing. Being that ridiculous performer and the humiliated slave is simply part of it. In fact, being considered at best as entertaining plaything was the fate of people born different in a medieval setting like that, even being a Lannister could not completely shield Tyrion from that and this should be shown.

And there certainly are qualified little people actresses! I know a very, very experienced and highly qualified and charismatic German actress, only she is several years too old, they would have to change the role, her name is Christine Urspruch. I think they could even very much enrich Penny's role for her.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope they keep Penny in the show. She adds a great dynamic to Tyrion and it would make for some great drama; not to mention another great role for a dwarf in one of TV's biggest shows. HBO could easily replace the whole jousting stuff with something a little less degrading, like juggling or something. Even if they DID cut Penny, how are they going to show Tyrion's scenes once he gets bought by that gross fat man who buys all kinds of grotesques and runs a freak show type of thing. How in the world are they going to shoot that stuff? What they definitely should NOT do, is just shy away from her role because it would require finding another dwarf actor.

Yeh I agree.

I am fond of Penny too and just happen to be re-reading DwD where she is featured. I think we will know at the Purple Wedding, if she and her brother show up. Penny's brother's fate also shows the impact Cersei's search for Tyrion has, and how many suffer from it.

I don't think they need to decide one way or other whether to include Penny in the show a the time of the PW - in fact, they could use that as a sort of test to see how audiences react to seeing dwarf exploitation as entertainment. If they get criticized for that, they don't need to include her as a character down the road in Essos. They wouldn't need to cast the actress who would eventually play Penny and instead could have a smaller-time actor wearing a helm during the PW - sort of like how they had a smaller-time actor play Beric in season 1 and cast the real Beric for season 3.

And I agree with the posters above that the real dynamic to look forward to in that part of Tyrion's arc is the Jorah/Tyrion relationship. It'll be interesting to see how it works on the show since Jorah's a lot more likable; in any event I'm sure Ian and Dinklage will kill it together.

• 1 year later...

I really, really hope she isn't cut. I like her very much, and as has been mentioned, there are so few parts for dwarf actresses, and this is a good role. It also gives Tyrion a chance to show caring to someone he's got absolutely no desire to sleep with, and to deal with someone's unwanted crush on him. He's never really had to do that before, and I think it's important for him.

I couldn't help envisioning Lisa Hammond in the role. http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/p/psychoville_kerry.jpg

She has that little sister, girl next door quality. She might be too old but I don't think so.

Even though she didn't appear in the PW, she could still figure later, once Cersei's awful pogrom gets going, because the point is her father and brother did the show too. They might both have been in the War of Five Kings. I think cutting her is a terrible mistake--she is very important to the story and as a foil for Tyrion, even if she's only in for a short while. (I actually think she's going to live----I think her story has just barely begun).

I hope she's cut. Even though I never liked the addition of Penny in the books, because the Jorah/Tyrion dynamic is much more interesting, she is just not that important. She's just there to give Tyrion something to do in the Selaesori Qhoran. They can just have Tyrion interact with Jorah. I'm sure D&D are smart enough to come up with something for them to do. Besides, she didn't even at appear at the PW. They could make her male though.

I really, really hope she isn't cut. I like her very much, and as has been mentioned, there are so few parts for dwarf actresses, and this is a good role. It also gives Tyrion a chance to show caring to someone he's got absolutely no desire to sleep with, and to deal with someone's unwanted crush on him. He's never really had to do that before, and I think it's important for him.

I couldn't help envisioning Lisa Hammond in the role. http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/p/psychoville_kerry.jpg

She has that little sister, girl next door quality. She might be too old but I don't think so.

Even though she didn't appear in the PW, she could still figure later, once Cersei's awful pogrom gets going, because the point is her father and brother did the show too. They might both have been in the War of Five Kings. I think cutting her is a terrible mistake--she is very important to the story and as a foil for Tyrion, even if she's only in for a short while. (I actually think she's going to live----I think her story has just barely begun).

Agree

I like Penny too

I hope she's cut. Even though I never liked the addition of Penny in the books, because the Jorah/Tyrion dynamic is much more interesting, she is just not that important. She's just there to give Tyrion something to do in the Selaesori Qhoran. They can just have Tyrion interact with Jorah. I'm sure D&D are smart enough to come up with something for them to do. Besides, she didn't even at appear at the PW. They could make her male though.

No, she's not. She's there to show Tyrion, and the readers/viewers, what life is like for a lowborn dwarf in ASOAIF world; and to give Tyrion a reason to pull his head out of his ass, stop pitying himself and start caring/trying to help someone.

Archived