[Book Spoilers] Some Lancel love

HouseLark

I liked lancel a bit more leading up to the episode, i think they did a really good job of fixing him after last season, however in the book wasnt he injured to the point where they were worried he wasnt going to survive? And when jamie visits him after his marriage he looks like a shadow of his former self, because of how weak he looked?

Maybe his wound gets infected. No antibiotics in Westeros after all.

I liked lancel a bit more leading up to the episode, i think they did a really good job of fixing him after last season, however in the book wasnt he injured to the point where they were worried he wasnt going to survive? And when jamie visits him after his marriage he looks like a shadow of his former self, because of how weak he looked?

I would have liked to have seen lancel go back out and fight a bit more and maybe get injured again.

For dramatic purposes, I agree - it would have been better if he was wounded more visibly (perhaps getting concussed, or cracking a few ribs). However, the arrow did hit him in his sword arm - he can't exactly fight if he can't hold a weapon. Relaying messages is about the only thing left for him.

For dramatic purposes, I agree - it would have been better if he was wounded more visibly (perhaps getting concussed, or cracking a few ribs). However, the arrow did hit him in his sword arm - he can't exactly fight if he can't hold a weapon. Relaying messages is about the only thing left for him.

In the novels it's alluded to that his injury (injuries?) may possibly have made him unable to procreate, which may be one of the reasons he's gone all fervently religious, including wearing a hair shirt. Or maybe he just really didn't fancy Amerei "Gatehouse Ami" Frey.

Lancel was very good in this episode - comic relief and the voice of reason in Cersei's ear, and horribly mistreated too when she hit him. It's not his fault he was hit by an arrow so I think he's managed to gain some respect from the viewers for his standing up to Cersei as well.

In the novels it's alluded to that his injury (injuries?) may possibly have made him unable to procreate, which may be one of the reasons he's gone all fervently religious, including wearing a hair shirt. Or maybe he just really didn't fancy Amerei "Gatehouse Ami" Frey.

I don't remember seeing this, which book was it in? I'll have to do a reread, that's what I love about these books, there's always something i've missed :)

Didn't like how they pussified Lancel, frankly. The funny thing about Lancel in the books is that while he was easily dominated by Cersei and Tyrion, in great part because of his youth and inexperience, he was actually physically brave, like most Lannisters.

And while not a great fighter as Jaime was at his age, or a good general as Tywin ditto, Lancel did very well as a knight and an officer during the Battle of the Blackwater, leading several sorties, fighting on while wounded, coming to Cersei to protest Joff's removal from the walls, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Didnt even take out one man! He has the best armor, sword and training that Lannister money can buy! He is smart though, so he probably let some of his blood drip onto his sword, in case he dies of his wound, so that the Hound doesnt come back and....you know.....

WHERE IS JULANDRO?

I CAST: SUMMON JULANDRO

I'm here! lol

I have nothing to say. I am very disappointed. The creators could have done a good sex scene. I do not understand because they have not exploited the relationship between Lancel and Cersei.

• 2 months later...

Lancel was so weak from his injury that he wasn't able to do the act. He wasn't injured in the nether regions, just really sick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I liked the way Lancel was played. The only problem I have ( and a few others it seems) is tieing the Lancel in the TV series to the Lancel in my head from the books :A decent knight, with indecent family, remember he is Kevan's son.

A point can be made that Lancel is just copying his father, after all Kevan has always walked in Tywins shadow (who hasnt?) and following the orders or suggestions of Tywins daughter is probably what Lancel views as the best course.

Disclaimer : thats not to say Kevan didnt think for himself, but then he has the advantage of age

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't like how they pussified Lancel, frankly. The funny thing about Lancel in the books is that while he was easily dominated by Cersei and Tyrion, in great part because of his youth and inexperience, he was actually physically brave, like most Lannisters.

And while not a great fighter as Jaime was at his age, or a good general as Tywin ditto, Lancel did very well as a knight and an officer during the Battle of the Blackwater, leading several sorties, fighting on while wounded, coming to Cersei to protest Joff's removal from the walls, etc.

I also am disappointed about the differences in Lancel from the books and the show, but I am guessing that the creators are trying to tone down some of the others that they consider side characters, to make the big characters stand out more. I'm not an avid re-reader of the books, but it did seem to me that Lancel was toned down in this, to make Tyrion's going out in battle the big contrast to Joffrey and then the Hound fleeing. I think it would have been just as effective though, if they did still allow Lancel to have more battle efforts on the show.

Archived