A Thread for Small Questions XVIII

mormont

Yep. And funny how he learned about treachery at weddings early on, innit?

That's why I love the D&E stories. So many awesome easter eggs and foreshadowings.

Well, yeah. Easier on GRRM than the ones in aSoIaF since they are written after. I prefer the ones in the anthology because GRRM has to make sure all the pieces fit together throughout - from Book 1 to the end - to make sure of continuity.

Marie

The Stark children have a Skagosi grandmother and some Flint blood I think.

We don't really know that. It's just a fan speculation based on the revelation that Rickon is hiding at Skagos (probably). The name and lineage of Ned's mother remain unknown.

Three years,Sansa is 14 at the end of AFfC.

Yeah, I'd say 3 to 3 1/2 years since events start in 298AL in AGoT and Joffrey's wedding in ASoS is on the first day of 300AL, and then there's all the rest of the time in ASoS plus ADwD.

There is a particular corpse mutilation performed by two characters in the series, The Weeper and Coldhands. They both put out the eyes of the dead whether recently killed or wights. This is mentioned in DwD.

Summer sees Coldhands performing this surgery while Bran is holed up beyond the wall. The Watch finds the heads of the dead rangers on stakes without eyes and assumes that the Weeper is responsible as this is his calling card.

To remove the one feature that characterizes a wight seems a logical thing to do and easier than burning bodies for prevention, if this is why they do it.

Why just those two? You would think that the successful neutralization of a potential wight would be a big deal beyond the wall, a wide-spread practice.

I’m sure others have noticed this. Any conclusions?

I think so too. It is to de-wight them.

When Benjen Stark become a member of the Nights Watch?! What were the reasons?!

Pure conjecture, but it was probably a Stark custom for younger sons to take the black in the past. Probably Bran or Rickon would have ended upon in the Night's Watch if things hadn't went bad.

I think so too. It is to de-wight them.

I've often wondered about this, but I think it may be just superstition.

From AGoT, prologue:

"Will rose. Ser Waymar Royce stood over him.

His fine clothes were a tatter, his face a ruin. A shard from his sword transfixed the blind white pupil of his left eye.

The right eye was open. The pupil burned blue. It saw."

From ADwD, prologue:

"Pale pink icicles hung from her fingertips, ten long knives of frozen blood. And in the pits where her eyes had been, a pale blue light was flickering, lending her coarse features an eerie beauty they had never known in life.

She sees me."

If Royce's right pupil is burning blue, it isn't the eye colour that's blue; the pupil has no colour, it's just an aperture. And Thistle doesn't even have eyeballs, and yet there's a pale blue light flickering in the sockets.

Yeah, I'd say 3 to 3 1/2 years since events start in 298AL in AGoT and Joffrey's wedding in ASoS is on the first day of 300AL, and then there's all the rest of the time in ASoS plus ADwD.

Oh,yes,I always forget Joffrey's wedding,3 1/2 is good estimation,and hopefully closer to 4. (I have bit of a problem with kids being so young,so I always hope for bigger time intervals.)

Oh,yes,I always forget Joffrey's wedding,3 1/2 is good estimation,and hopefully closer to 4. (I have bit of a problem with kids being so young,so I always hope for bigger time intervals.)

We know that AGOT covers almost exectly one year: Jon Arryn dies a few days after the tourney held for Joffrey's name day, and the second chapter of ACOK shows the tourney for Joffrey's next name day. (But note the first two Dany chapters in AGOT have to take place before the events in Winterfell start, or the timeline doesn't add up.)

Lollys Stokeworth gets raped in the middle of ACOK and she gives birth to her son in AFFC, so there are nine months between the two events.

Thanks. I just checked the wiki in the meanwhile and it stated Ned`s mother as Unknown female. Skagosi blood? Might be why Rickon and Osha escaped there?

oooh, I never made that connection. That would be really cool to see some Skagosians (is that how you say it) who had connections with the Starks. I'm sure they would all have cool stories to tell.

is it just varys that tells tyrion that cercei sent that kg (what is his name again) to try and kill him? or did her POV admit to it?

Pretty sure that's strictly in the show.

Edited to say in the books he sends Bronn out to find what he can about Moore which isn't much. Varys and Tryion dance around a little bit talking about him but that's it. It's never told why Moore did it.

While it's likely Moore was working for someone it's also possible he just saw an opportunity to get rid of the Imp. Tyrion likely made few friends in the KG with his mouth hiding behind his last name and like the man said the middle of a battle is a good place to get rid of one of your own.

My personal pet theory is that Moore was in Littlefinger's pocket though I can't offer any real proof. I'm pretty confident that in the books Cersei is not the one who hired him.

Makes as much sense as anything else. I don't recall Cersei ever thinking of Moore's failed hit in any of her chapters.

is it just varys that tells tyrion that cercei sent that kg (what is his name again) to try and kill him? or did her POV admit to it?

I don't have the exact text in front of me, but I thought that Tyrion figured this out for himself thinking back over the sequence of events once he regained consciousness after The Battle of the Blackwater.

Archived