Football #29: A Time for Transfers

Stubby

So to carry on from the last thread, there was speculation about manager appointments in the EPL.

The main interest for the Villa job now appears to be Paul Lambert. Rogers is evidentlyheaded for Anfield and Martinez will likely stay at Wigan.

Who is out there for the Norwich job?

Apparently, Neil Lennon. Hmm...Champions League? N ay, I'll take a trip down to Norfolk. Never going to happen. :lmao:Damn media.

On a more concrete level, Swansea have moved quick to secure their new manager. It's Graeme Jones, ex-assistant manager, who is currently at Wigan. They've granted him permission to return to his old club.

@Baxus

cleo is now playing for guangzhou, right?

have you seen him play? is he any good?

he was a rather good striker while he played for both crvena zvezda and partizan, but i'd like to hear how he's doing now.

Yes, he does play for Guangzhou. In fact, he scored their goal against Tokyo. I haven't watched him play much, but he seems to be one of the best strikers in the league. Guangzhou is at the top of the league mainly because of him, Muriqui (another striker from Brazil), and Dario Conca (midfielder from Argentina).

Yes, he does play for Guangzhou. In fact, he scored their goal against Tokyo. I haven't watched him play much, but he seems to be one of the best strikers in the league. Guangzhou is at the top of the league mainly because of him, Muriqui (another striker from Brazil), and Dario Conca (midfielder from Argentina).

it's nice to hear he's doing well.

there was talk of him playing for serbian national team, i think he even got the citizenship but he never got to play.

So there's a bit of a furor in Portland right now, after the Timbers lost to Eric Wynalda's team. Pong, a capo from the Timbers Army, yelled at the team that they weren't fit to wear their jerseys. (They've had a pretty miserable home season as well.) The Internet has apparently decided that this makes him Hannibal Lechter. I'm a bit confused as to why. You can debate whether he should have said it or not but I am really confused as to why people are so angry about this. Also, Jack Jewsbury, who plays for the team, allegedly had to be physically restrained. This, too, seems crazy to me.

Chelsea are reportedly ready to spend 38mil on Hulk. I'm not convinced by the need.

I'd have to disagree :) They'll be playing in 5 competitions next season and they can't afford to pin all their hopes on Torres. I don't think Sturridge and Lukaku are ready to lead the line yet (the latter may well be loaned..) and Hulk can also play on the wing more effectively than Kalou did, so it seems like a smart move to me. Transfer fee is too high, but it's Chelsea - not much they can do about that.

Not sure what else they'd need - another RB to replace Boswinga, I guess.

I'd have to disagree :) They'll be playing in 5 competitions next season and they can't afford to pin all their hopes on Torres. I don't think Sturridge and Lukaku are ready to lead the line yet (the latter may well be loaned..) and Hulk can also play on the wing more effectively than Kalou did, so it seems like a smart move to me. Transfer fee is too high, but it's Chelsea - not much they can do about that.

It's the price that's the real quibble. Although he's a very different player he's similar positionally to Sturridge and I'm not convinced he's enough better to be worth that price. And Sturridge is 22 and has so far risen to every challenge he's been thrown at, and he wants to play in the middle. One would think it'd be a perfect chance, play him out wide sometimes and through the middle when Torres needs a rest or is injured. All this buy means is he isn't going to be first-choice in any position and you can be certain he'll be asking to leave soon enough if he's not getting games.

I prefer Rodgers over Martinez mainly because Wigan look so hapless for long periods before finally rolling up their sleeves to avoid relegation. Swansea were more consistent in their play throughout the season rather than emulating Blackpool or Bradford. Rodgers also seems to offer broader scope to oversee improvement at youth and reserve levels too. But either is a gamble with limited form for guidance.

I was a little surprised that Chelsea spent so heavily on Hazard and Hulk as their priorities but they do need to replace Anelka, Kalou, Drogba and possibly Malouda. There may be some overlap with Mata and Sturridge (who will probably improve next year as his experience grows) but there should be room enough for them all.

Yeah, Chelsea will be playing a shitload of matches next year. Don't mind getting Hulk. Do need another back, either a RB, a hybrid, or someone who can play CB and let Ivanovic sit at RB full-time.

This article got some good airplay a few months ago. I love it because it equates my team Liverpool with House Stark... Appropriate analogy in many ways. Even Dalglish's Sudden departure had shades of Headless Ned. So to extend the parallel...how will Brendan Rodgers shape up?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/22795/game-of-thrones-to-english-premier-league-converter

This article got some good airplay a few months ago. I love it because it equates my team Liverpool with House Stark... Appropriate analogy in many ways. Even Dalglish's Sudden departure had shades of Headless Ned. So to extend the parallel...how will Brendan Rodgers shape up?

http://www.grantland...eague-converter

Well, the article calls him a skinchanger when it compares Swansea to direwolves, so presumably that makes him Bran.

Yeah, Chelsea will be playing a shitload of matches next year. Don't mind getting Hulk. Do need another back, either a RB, a hybrid, or someone who can play CB and let Ivanovic sit at RB full-time.

Isn't Bruma coming back from Hamburg?

Has noone mentioned the fact that Hulk will be joining Hazard at Chelsea now? Jeez, that sounds like the name of a buddy cop show, "Hulk & Hazard".

E2A: BTW I found this highlight video edited and put together by Monkey Kong. Love the music selection! Jozy Altidore 15 goals, 19 all competitions for AZ. Enjoy! Go USA!

Archived