Football #29: A Time for Transfers

Stubby

i don't know what's the fuss with hodgson calling kelly to the squad.

i think it was as much the 'straw that broke the camels back' with regards to liverpool players. how can a team which is total dogshit have 6 players in the england squad?

i don't know what's the fuss with hodgson calling kelly to the squad.

Because he is at best the fourth best right-back under the age of 24 available to England. Sure, Walker is injured, but there's no proper excuse for Kelly being ahead of Naughton and Richards. He might turn out to be better than them, but they've both had a full season (Richards, obviously, more than that) performing at the top level whereas Kelly has played less Premier League games in his career than Naughton did this season.

And if you're taking a backup player than surely versatility is always useful, in which case call one of the Taylors from Newcastle.

i think it was as much the 'straw that broke the camels back' with regards to liverpool players. how can a team which is total dogshit have 6 players in the england squad?

i understand and agree with that, but the fact is that english national team will be under major reconstruction in the next couple of years and there's no time like the present to start giving youngsters a shot.

if england were seriously going for the trophy in the upcoming euro, i'd understand all the fuss, but as it is kelly's the least of england's problems.

everyone is all worked up over ferdinand not being in the squad, while the more logical question should be why isn't sturridge? or micah richards?

Because he is at best the fourth best right-back under the age of 24 available to England. Sure, Walker is injured, but there's no proper excuse for Kelly being ahead of Naughton and Richards. He might turn out to be better than them, but they've both had a full season (Richards, obviously, more than that) performing at the top level whereas Kelly has played less Premier League games in his career than Naughton did this season.

And if you're taking a backup player than surely versatility is always useful, in which case call one of the Taylors from Newcastle.

i've watched quite a lot of premiership this season, but not enough norwich games so i can't comment naughton.

richards had a good enough season, and should have been in the squad ahead or (even better) instead of johnson, not kelly.

p.s. you can probably tell that i dislike johnson. a lot ;)

Awhile back I was wondering if Clint Dempsey had backhanded Landon Donovan with some of his wording in expressing a move to a Champion's League team. Now I have to wonder if Tim Howard might have done the same to Dempsey in his comments about staying at Everton. I realize that he might have felt a bit put on the spot by Klinzi, but these are the types of things that might start to breed dissension in the US locker room if it isn't all sorted out and everyone just say that this statement wasn't about this person and so on.

Kagawa to ManUtd for 15-22 million Euros. See, that's what a transfer to get excited about looks like, PL fans.;)

And even though they lost a valuable player, even Dortmund come out of this pretty well, considering they paid about 350,000€ for him two years ago.

OMG. I just now realized that Villareal was relegated. Bet they could have used those 15 goals from Jozy Altidore! Maybe the difference between Eredivisie and La Liga is a bit much, but it just makes me happy to see him succeed in a pretty good European League in the same season that the once-strong club that never gave him a chance is relegated.

Found the live stream on NYRB's website. Harrisburg just took back the lead in the 4th minute of extra time.

ETA: Harrisburg scored a second extra time goal to win it. HBG 3 - 1 Red Bulls. Another MLS team falls out of the Open Cup.

DC out to Philly. Bummed about the loss, but losing is the only thing in that match that didn't make me angry. We should not have allowed those two goals but two others probably should have gone in. Fouling out of control. Both McDonald (DC) and Valdes (Philly) ejected and I don't know why, they were far away and it was hard to see, but Valdes should have been thrown out much earlier and he isn't the only Philly player who should have been. Terrible fucking officiating all around.

But, good turnout, fun match, and went with Chef and my old roommate. Good times. And then it took literally half an hour to get out of the parking lot.

Found out what happened in the big dust-up:

1. Valdes "elbows the shit out of" McDonald

2. McDonald responses by punching him in the face

3. Both players receive red cards.

4. Brandon McDonald leaves the field.

5. Valdes throws a temper tantrum and sits down and refuses to leave until Union staff physically remove him.

Found out what happened in the big dust-up:

1. Valdes "elbows the shit out of" McDonald

2. McDonald responses by punching him in the face

3. Both players receive red cards.

4. Brandon McDonald leaves the field.

5. Valdes throws a temper tantrum and sits down and refuses to leave until Union staff physically remove him.

DC v. Philadelphia was the only match last night that neither team had a stream for on their website. Even Seattle streamed their match despite the fact that FSC was broadcasting it.

DC v. Philadelphia was the only match last night that neither team had a stream for on their website. Even Seattle streamed their match despite the fact that FSC was broadcasting it.

Yeah, I know. There's some kind of issue of the venue not being set up for it or something, I'm fuzzy on the details.

Archived