Football #29: A Time for Transfers

Stubby

Haha, I didn't even realize that. Delightful.

I just think the idea that a person being punished for known wrongdoing should decide when they've had enough is an odd position to take and one that is rather difficult to defend.

As Mormont points out, the "sanctions" on the table are the direct result of financial insolvency. Rangers as was is gone. A new club can't enter at the top level. So suck it up and start from scratch if you must.

BTW, in the Italian example Juventus (relegated for cheating) was back in the Serie A after one season (though they were only one level down).

No link, but apparently Brazilian media claims that Neymar have signed with Newcastle. Given his previous statement that he'll stay in Brazil until the World Cup, this may not be the most reliable rumour around.

Well, he's been spotted at St James' Park recently... :P

Leeds have confirmed that Andy O'Brien has left and joined Vancouver Whitecaps. Canadians ought to go one further and sign up Richard Dunne, considering Toronto are nabbing O'Dea.

In real matters, I am sweating. Celtic are due to kick-off their season in under an hour. CL qualification is a must. If we fail to beat Helsinki, tears may well be shed.

As we're at home for the first leg, I'm praying we'll build up a substantial lead to make the ever perilous trip abroad. Hope we don't concede, either.

Leeds have confirmed that Andy O'Brien has left and joined Vancouver Whitecaps. Canadians ought to go one further and sign up Richard Dunne, considering Toronto are nabbing O'Dea.

A clear upgrade, Leeds to not-Leeds

Edit: Derp that was yesterday

It appears that Arsenal have wrapped up the signing of Santi Cazorla from Malaga for around £17m. Arsenal also seem to be working on a deal to sign Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid on a season long loan. Apparently Arsenal want an option to buy but Real are reluctant, I have a feeling that might change if they manage to sign Modric.

It appears that Arsenal have wrapped up the signing of Santi Cazorla from Malaga for around £17m. Arsenal also seem to be working on a deal to sign Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid on a season long loan. Apparently Arsenal want an option to buy but Real are reluctant, I have a feeling that might change if they manage to sign Modric.

Kind of sad what's happened to Malaga. I've been waiting for so long to see someone come along and try to compete with that cabal they have going on in La Liga. But from some of the things I've read, some of the business deals tied to Malaga that the shiek wanted to do in Spain were not well recieved so now he's selling off players cutting Pellegrini and the sporting director and basically selling the club slightly better off than he found it. Feel bad for the fans who were let down by all of this. La Liga's such a crap league.

In real matters, I am sweating. Celtic are due to kick-off their season in under an hour. CL qualification is a must. If we fail to beat Helsinki, tears may well be shed.

As we're at home for the first leg, I'm praying we'll build up a substantial lead to make the ever perilous trip abroad. Hope we don't concede, either.

Lotsa nice signings by MLS clubs during the window. And the Sounders are up 1-0 on Caledonia AIA.

As for Celtic, how long can they survive as a major commodity in a Ranger-less SPL? Both of those clubs knew they had to get out of Scotland and now it seems clear that the days of the Old Firm remaining a major brand in the Scottish footbal leagues are numbered. England should let them in. It would be good for the sport. Put Celtic in the Championship and Rangers below that.

It would be good for the sport. Not only would it help increase revenue and interest for not only the 'Old Firm', but it'd elevate the game in England, as well. Unfortunately, it'll most likely never happen as too many chairman are covetous of their place in the main division. Celtic and Rangers both boast far too great a fan base for the likes of Wigan, for example, to contest with.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a 'major commodity', though. We pulled in 52k people for a game against a Finnish team. There are few clubs in the world that could do the same.

And for the game itself, we dominated, and took a step in the direction of the CL/Money-pot.

It would be good for the sport. Not only would it help increase revenue and interest for not only the 'Old Firm', but it'd elevate the game in England, as well. Unfortunately, it'll most likely never happen as too many chairman are covetous of their place in the main division. Celtic and Rangers both boast far too great a fan base for the likes of Wigan, for example, to contest with.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a 'major commodity', though. We pulled in 52k people for a game against a Finnish team. There are few clubs in the world that could do the same.

And for the game itself, we dominated, and took a step in the direction of the CL/Money-pot.

The problem I was wondering about was how long can they maintain a worldwide profile when even UK networks like Sky were reportedly dropping them. Well apparently I'm a day late on that bc now it's being reported that Sky merely restructured their deal with the SPL and will still show Rangers games. I wonder if they're getting as much money as they got before. That entire revelation is a bit of a surprise. Well perhaps during the 4, or so, years that it takes Rangers to get back to the SPL someone else like Motherwell, Hearts or Dundee can step up to challenge Celtic.

It would be good for the sport. Not only would it help increase revenue and interest for not only the 'Old Firm', but it'd elevate the game in England, as well.

Evidence for these assertions is sadly lacking. Obviously, it'd increase revenue for any team to be admitted to a league with a bigger TV deal, but there's no reason to think that the OF have some untapped source of 'interest' out there that being admitted to an English league would suddenly free up. And there's no reason at all to believe it would 'elevate' the game in England. The addition of two more clubs, albeit with strong domestic support, is not going to make any significant positive difference to the standard of English football.

But it will never happen. Why? Because it's against the rules. Simple as that. Rules can be changed, of course, but nobody other than Celtic and Rangers has ever had any reason to change them in the 20-odd years they've been agitating for it. The attitude of various Celtic and Rangers figures to the issue has not helped: their 'arguments' for a move are typically of the type that Rangers have been making over the whole liquidation deal, i.e. they arise from a sense of entitlement and therefore refuse to recognise, let alone answer, the valid objections raised.

Ultimately, it's a good thing. Bad enough that Australia were allowed to move federations because they wanted to. If clubs can abandon their domestic leagues if it suits them, football as a sport might as well abandon any pretense to integrity. Allowing Celtic and Rangers to move to the English leagues would be about as reasonable as allowing some clubs perennial entry to the Champion's League (another idea that was genuinely being bandied about at one stage, IIRC).

Ultimately, it's a good thing. Bad enough that Australia were allowed to move federations because they wanted to.

Spare me. The entire history of football confederations is a sorry tale of politicking, hatreds and naked self-interest in comparison to which our move to Asia is positively benign.

Kind of sad what's happened to Malaga. I've been waiting for so long to see someone come along and try to compete with that cabal they have going on in La Liga. But from some of the things I've read, some of the business deals tied to Malaga that the shiek wanted to do in Spain were not well recieved so now he's selling off players cutting Pellegrini and the sporting director and basically selling the club slightly better off than he found it. Feel bad for the fans who were let down by all of this. La Liga's such a crap league.

It just goes to show how much of a play thing clubs can be for mega rich owners. Only a couple of months ago the clubs vice-president came out and said that they were aiming to become one of the tops clubs in the league in the coming seasons and was talking about further investment from the owner, so it just goes to show how quick a rich man's mind changes.

Apparently Arsenal have also enquired about Isco and salomon Rondon continues to be linked with clubs in the premier league so it doesnt look like it will get any better any time soon.

Israel used to play in Oceania. They're a special case, though, due to th Arabs persuading the rest of Asia to refuse to play them (which, somewhat bizarrely, resulted in Wales's one and only World Cup qualification)

(null)

Archived