Football #29: A Time for Transfers

Stubby

Rapids lost again tonight. Another 1-0 lead given up. :ack:

Having doubts about Pareja. I didn't appreciate his, "I don't know what to say" response (more or less), to how he feels the season has went, so far.

last night michael owen invited people to a twitter q&a.

check out #askMOwen for a few laughs, though be prepared for sludging through a ton of retweets.

as suspected, most people were just messing with him, @davidmoyes being the best at it.

Very few Aussies under 30 that are actually talented remain in the game. The likes of Cahill, Kewell, Viduka, and co. are long gone.

Wonder if anyone from the region will step up over the next few years.

Ryan McGowan at Hearts and Rhys Williams at Boro are the nearest immediate candidates, down the track maybe Massimo Luongo at Spurs or Jason Davidson at Herakles Almelo. I'd list Amini at Dortmund but too many expectations are riding on the kid already.

Other than that it's been a really disappointing few years - U23s failed to qualify for London, U21s got thrashed in Colombia 2011 and Egpyt 2009 and the 2008 Beijing cohort are all washed up. A lot of the youth development revamp still hasn't sunk in, so we get kids who look like world-beaters in their late teens but aren't grounded in things like close control, passing and reading the game and haven't been encouraged to take chances and be creative because of the emphasis on results rather than skills in our youth development programs.

Add to that the kids making shit career choices (hello Mark Milligan, Aaron Mooy, Nathan Burns...) and you start to see a huge gap emerging between the late 90s cohort and their putative replacements. It's sorry stuff.

Reminder: MLS All-Star Game vs. Chelsea in one hour.

8:30PM Eastern Time, ESPN2, or I think TSN/RDS if you are in the Republic of Canadia.

I have absolutely no idea if this will be a good game or not! I might be in chat to discuss, if TSW doesn't keep me too glued to it.

kasey keller could not be less engaging and interesting as a commentator. i loved him as the us national team keeper for many years. on espn talking about the sport he played and excelled at for many years he comes across terrible. somehow he draws away some of my disgust from alexi lalas.

Well, having listened to the BBC Euro 2012 commentary, I was under the impression that Andy Carroll had invented a revolutionary new football tactic called 'heading the ball'. Surely that's worth something?

Carroll deserves a chance to prove himself in Rodgers' system, he was arguably our most reliable player in the last stretch of games at the end of last season. And letting him go for almost £20 million less than what he cost us is ridiculous (no, he wasn't worth £35m, but we still spent it). But yes, hopefully we either keep him or hold out for money up front, none of this letting him go on loan for a season crap.

Archived