Football #29: A Time for Transfers

Stubby

I'm enjoying watching Brazil at the Olympics, what an embarrassing wealth of talent in that team with Neymar, Oscar, Hulk, Leandro, Pato, Rafael.

Did you catch the UAE team? They look very good going forward carved GB open there

the scoreline tends to be counter to your commentary.

I do think the scoreline flattered GB a bit , UAE were all over them before they got sucker punched . Have a look at the game if you get the chance

I do think the scoreline flattered GB a bit , UAE were all over them before they got sucker punched . Have a look at the game if you get the chance

actually i watched the entire game in it's entirety.

uae looked alright, but never really carried a threat. they had two shots on goal to gb's 10.

craig bellamy was running riot over uae's defenders. cleverley should have scored. the lone uae goal did not truly give them any teeth. great britian dominated the game.

actually i watched the entire game in it's entirety.

uae looked alright, but never really carried a threat. they had two shots on goal to gb's 10.

craig bellamy was running riot over uae's defenders. cleverley should have scored. the lone uae goal did not truly give them any teeth. great britian dominated the game.

Well sure , if that's what you're going with . I would say they were the better team yes , but UAE had them on the backfoot for a good 20 minutes in that second half. I suppose we just see football differently .

Well sure , if that's what you're going with . I would say they were the better team yes , but UAE had them on the backfoot for a good 20 minutes in that second half. I suppose we just see football differently .

on the backfoot for 20 minutes of ninety? sure, why not. yeah, and they scored a goal.

they were also under attack for the majority of the game and conceded three goals.

your propaganda about how close the game was is fun though.

My propaganda? What exactly would I gain from it ?

I never stated they dominated the game but they did keep it close ( and looked like they could go on to win it ) before GB got that goal.

My propaganda? What exactly would I gain from it ?

I never stated they dominated the game but they did keep it close ( and looked like they could go on to win it ) before GB got that goal.

when uae leveled the scoreline in the 60th it looked like they might be in it. but that 2nd and 3rd goal totally took the fight out of them. they were over. it was a close game from the 1st to 16th minute (giggs scored) and it was close again from the 60th to the 73rd (sinclair scored).

and rather than propaganda i will change my commentary to your 'revisionist history' of the game.

and i imagine uae is going to get destroyed by senegal.

when uae leveled the scoreline in the 60th it looked like they might be in it. but that 2nd and 3rd goal totally took the fight out of them. they were over. it was a close game from the 1st to 16th minute (giggs scored) and it was close again from the 60th to the 73rd (sinclair scored).

and rather than propaganda i will change my commentary to your 'revisionist history' of the game.

and i imagine uae is going to get destroyed by senegal.

As I've stated before I thought it was close until well past the first half . I'm also not the only one who thinks that way BBC Sport called it " uncomfortable win" . I'm not sure you'ed use those terms for a game GB "dominated" . As I said , it really depends on how we both perceive the game which obviously is different.

Away from the Olympics, a funny thing happened yesterday: Rangers actually played some football! And won. Even if it was an extra-time victory against Brechin City. :P A little modest for a team featuring seven internationals: I do like the look on Carlos Bocanegra's face in the linked article. It's a bit 'has it come to this?'

Anyway, the new owner obviously has season ticket sales on his mind, because he's pulling out the dog-whistle. 'They're all bigots!' is the cry. Should get the message over nicely, Charles, well done. He'll need those ticket sales, too, because Ally McCoist's idea of the sort of players needed for the Third Division looks to be slightly on the expensive side: if Ian Black's annual wage isn't higher than all eleven of the Brechin players put together, I'll be amazed, and the reported targets newGers have in mind will each cost at least as much.

Away from the Olympics, a funny thing happened yesterday: Rangers actually played some football! And won. Even if it was an extra-time victory against Brechin City. :P A little modest for a team featuring seven internationals: I do like the look on Carlos Bocanegra's face in the linked article. It's a bit 'has it come to this?'

Anyway, the new owner obviously has season ticket sales on his mind, because he's pulling out the dog-whistle. 'They're all bigots!' is the cry. Should get the message over nicely, Charles, well done. He'll need those ticket sales, too, because Ally McCoist's idea of the sort of players needed for the Third Division looks to be slightly on the expensive side: if Ian Black's annual wage isn't higher than all eleven of the Brechin players put together, I'll be amazed, and the reported targets newGers have in mind will each cost at least as much.

I just cannot believe the balls on these people. Not just Green -- I've heard much the same from supporters.

"I think justice has been done. The club were fined 10 points, it received an £190,000 fine, it was then put out the SPL, it was then put down to the Third Division, it has had to pay all the Scottish club debts, which wouldn't normally happen for a newco to be obliged to pay oldco's debts.

I agree Mr Green, clearly a £190,000 and a demotion makes up for £135 million in criminal tax fraud. To say nothing of the fact that you were allowed to skirt the rules on the SFL entry requirements.

If that's all it takes to get out of something like this, everyone will do it.

The more important aspect of the whole 'we've been punished enough!' meme, in my view, is this: whether you look on any or all of the 10-point deduction, the fine, the refusal to transfer the SPL share, the loss of players under TUPE, the vote to admit Rangers to the Third Division, the transfer ban and the requirement to pay off football debts as 'punishments' or just things that happened because of the insolvency, none of them relate directly to the EBT issue. That hasn't even been fully investigated yet. No punishment has been handed out for that at all. For Rangers to demand that the SPL should drop the EBT investigation because they've already been penalised for the insolvency and transfer of ownership is specious.

I am wearing a West Ham polo. Someone at work wanted to know why a nice Jewish boy was wearing a shirt with ham on it. Ba-dum tish.

The more important aspect of the whole 'we've been punished enough!' meme, in my view, is this: whether you look on any or all of the 10-point deduction, the fine, the refusal to transfer the SPL share, the loss of players under TUPE, the vote to admit Rangers to the Third Division, the transfer ban and the requirement to pay off football debts as 'punishments' or just things that happened because of the insolvency, none of them relate directly to the EBT issue. That hasn't even been fully investigated yet. No punishment has been handed out for that at all. For Rangers to demand that the SPL should drop the EBT investigation because they've already been penalised for the insolvency and transfer of ownership is specious.

Haha, I didn't even realize that. Delightful.

I just think the idea that a person being punished for known wrongdoing should decide when they've had enough is an odd position to take and one that is rather difficult to defend.

No link, but apparently Brazilian media claims that Neymar have signed with Newcastle. Given his previous statement that he'll stay in Brazil until the World Cup, this may not be the most reliable rumour around.

Huh? I've seen nothing on the major (brazilian) news outlets. Plus, that really doesn't make sense... does Newcastle even have 50 million euros to throw around?

Archived