Football #29: A Time for Transfers

Stubby

Since we were discussing the topic of 'where star players go when they get old' the other day, I thought it was interesting to note that Clarence Seedorf has signed for Botafogo in Brazil. As the article notes, he could probably still have got a contract for a 'lesser' European club, and it's unusual for a player of that calibre to go to Brazil, other than those who started their career there: a sign of the increasing wealth of South American clubs?

edit - to reflect the fact that Seedorf was, of course, born in South America.

Clarence Seedorf is a great player, with a career most players can only dream of, but he's also a bit a-typical in his attitudes. No questioning his intelligence and dedication though.

I don't know, considering it's about Seedorf's decision to move to Brazil, I think the geographic location of his birthplace is more important than its liunguistic or footballing identity.

Even more important may be the fact that his wife is apparently Brazilian, but closeness to Surinam is likely a major factor as well.

Seedorf ownes half of the lower league Monza in Italy, which he wants to bring (back?) to the Serie A. Once he's done playing football, he intends to come back to Italy and start that project.

leon best sold to blackburn.

that is an optimistic move for newcastle. it means that they don't need the striker. is cisse and ba are the attackers i again feel good that the toon are a team to be reckoned with this next season.

blackburn also bought danny murphy. the rovers are not taking relegation lying down. they look as if they have total intentions to bounce right back up to the premiership.

blackburn also bought danny murphy. the rovers are not taking relegation lying down. they look as if they have total intentions to bounce right back up to the premiership.

Would be kind of weird if they didn't.

As for Newcastle, rumour has it they're close to signing Luuk De Jong.

And Spurs are in for Dzagoev according to his dad.

Would be kind of weird if they didn't.

As for Newcastle, rumour has it they're close to signing Luuk De Jong.

And Spurs are in for Dzagoev according to his dad.

would be nice, but i think he is a touch out of their price range.

"We hold all the cards," McClaren said in De Telegraaf. "Nobody has to leave. Only an absurd bid would see Luuk leave."

de jong has been to st. james and likes what he sees. he would be a nice addition. but, i don't think the toon are interested in dropping the cash needed to secure the young man.

Clarence Seedorf is a great player, with a career most players can only dream of, but he's also a bit a-typical in his attitudes. No questioning his intelligence and dedication though.

Even more important may be the fact that his wife is apparently Brazilian, but closeness to Surinam is likely a major factor as well.

Seedorf ownes half of the lower league Monza in Italy, which he wants to bring (back?) to the Serie A. Once he's done playing football, he intends to come back to Italy and start that project.

Didn't know this? Why would he not finish his career at Monza, then? Would that even be legal?

In a somewhat surprising move Bayern have signed Mathias Sammer as director of football/sports/whatever, to replace Christian Nerlinger. Surprising not only because Hoeneß had been building up Nerlinger as his successor for years, but Sammer is supposed to implement a comprehensive footballing concept at the club, and the last time they tried that with Klinsmann they lost patience after a bit more than half a season. Maybe two years of being shown up by Dortmund have humbled them enough to stick with it this time, but somehow I doubt it.

They also got Mandzukic, which frees up Petersen to join Werder on loan. So at least the team isn't completely without a striker now.

Didn't know this? Why would he not finish his career at Monza, then? Would that even be legal?

You mean player/owner? No idea if that would be legal or not, but Seedorf has made it clear that he wants to end his career on some level. Monza is too steep a drop for him as yet. And he wants to take his time to rebuild it. He's convinced it has great potential.

Yes, she is. And he speaks Portuguese fluently too.

leon best sold to blackburn.

that is an optimistic move for newcastle. it means that they don't need the striker. is cisse and ba are the attackers i again feel good that the toon are a team to be reckoned with this next season.

Well, when you still have the parachute payment coming in, that's the best moment to be building for promotion.

Going back to the Rangers issue: today, the SFL meet to discuss the proposals put forward by the SFA and SPL chief executives that would see newGers start in Division 1 (discussed above). And things don't look good for newGers. Since the wonderfully-named Turnbull Hutton, chairman of Raith Rovers, excoriated the whole deal at the weekend, the tide has been against it. The main problem seems to be that the presentation leaned heavily on an assertion that this should happen because otherwise 'the game in Scotland' would lose £16m a season, a figure that was not backed up by any analysis or evidence (or indeed any proof that this would significantly affect the SFL clubs, rather than being mostly confined to the SPL). The SFL chairmen saw this as a heavy-handed attempt to scare them into agreeing. In general they're saying they agree the game in Scotland could do with reorganisation, but are against being railroaded into doing it right away for the benefit of Rangers newco.

The meeting today won't vote on the proposal, but it might give a clear indication that newGers will have to play in the Third Division if they play anywhere.

Additional entertainment is provided by Charles Green, still blustering about seeking compensation for players who were never signed to his club and who have now had their registrations transferred by the SFA. Good luck with that one, Chuck.

In a somewhat surprising move Bayern have signed Mathias Sammer as director of football/sports/whatever, to replace Christian Nerlinger. Surprising not only because Hoeneß had been building up Nerlinger as his successor for years, but Sammer is supposed to implement a comprehensive footballing concept at the club, and the last time they tried that with Klinsmann they lost patience after a bit more than half a season. Maybe two years of being shown up by Dortmund have humbled them enough to stick with it this time, but somehow I doubt it.

The difference between Klinsmann's concept and Sammer's is that Klinsmann's was crap. His competence as a coach and manager are massively limited, the only area he really excels in is motivating his team. He was only successful with the German national side, where Löw was the brains, he failed at Bayern and he is failing as US Coach right now.

Sammer, on the other hand, revolutionized the German youth programm and played a major part in the recent successes of the DFB youth squads. Additionally, he already won the Bundesliga as a Coach and lead his team to the UEFA Cup final. He won't be easily cowed by Hoeness and the Bayern bosses either, Nerlinger and Klinsmann were never really able to stand up to them.

Whether Sammer will be able to lead Bayern back on course remains to be seen, but I think this move is better than all the player transfers of the last 2 seasons put together.

While I don't think Klinsmann is particularly brilliant as a coach/manager, I think he was put in a bad situation there. Bayern wanted an all around reform of their club philosophy, win lots of titles and not spend a lot of money on players (both Hitzfeld before and van Gaal after his tenure at the club got some shiny new starplayers; Klinsmann got Tim Borowski, Massimo Oddo and Hans-Jörg Butt, and the latter he wasn't allowed to use as a starter because Hoeneß had promised Rensing the number 1 spot; during the winter break he got to add Landon Donovan on loan...).

That's a pretty tall order for anyone.

If upper Bayern management has lost its impatience and allows Sammer to do his job for a few years even if they go without titles this might amount to something. They'll also need a coach to work with mid- to longterm, as Heynckes really isn't the guy for the future.

Initial Spain squad for the Olympics includes Jordi Alba, Javi Martinez, Juan Mata, David De Gea, Cristian Tello, Iker Muniain, Thiago Alcantara, and Oriol Romeu. Not only does it contain two players who played and scored in the Euro 2012 final, the squad have between them (by my rough count) two World Cup winners' medals, four European Championship winners' medals, three Champions League winners' medals, three Europea League winners' medals, four La Liga winners' medals, and more European under-21 winners' medals than I can count.

Spain: winning all the football?

ETA - also, in the worst-kept news dept., Villas-Boas named Spurs boss.

Initial Spain squad for the Olympics includes Jordi Alba, Javi Martinez, Juan Mata, David De Gea, Cristian Tello, Iker Muniain, Thiago Alcantara, and Oriol Romeu. Not only does it contain two players who played and scored in the Euro 2012 final, the squad have between them (by my rough count) two World Cup winners' medals, four European Championship winners' medals, three Champions League winners' medals, three Europea League winners' medals, four La Liga winners' medals, and more European under-21 winners' medals than I can count.

Nah, they sound rubbish. Can't wait for Micah Richards to boss them all over the park.

They'd probably be unstoppable but for Brazil. They probably have even more quality players ( Neymar, Ganso, Lucas, Hulk etc.) and they let their Olympics team play all their international games for the last 10 months. IMO Brazil will be unbeatable in London.

Regarding Sammer, I think they'll give him time to get things moving. They know his quality, and I for one don't think Dortmund is going to win the league three times in a row. (it would be cool, though :lol: )

Archived