How would you rate episode 210?

Ran

How would you rate episode 210?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Really the only thing that stopped this from being a ten was the house of the undying, but let's be honest, they've fucked Dany up so much this season, was anyone expecting anything less? I even liked her walking out of the Throne room to the other side of the wall, considering that's where her real war will be, but the way she was chained and killed Pyat Pree was just...I'm convinced D&D are part of the crew that hate Dany and are trying as hard as they can to make the T.V. folk do the same.

Anyway, on with the highs. I loved Stannis's scene. And for anyone who says it was out of character, just remember what we are told about his mind set during the first half of SOS. Theon's speech was great. So was his anger for the horn blower. I knew they were just going to let his men betray him, so it didn't bother me that we didn't get to see the Bastard of Bolton. (Not bastard, never bastard! You mustn't call him that!) The horse shitting made me laugh, just because so many diehards on this board argued they wanted to see it. The whole scene in the throne room was by the book, so that was great. I loved seeing the face change. For a second I thought they wouldn't show it. Without little grandfather I didn't expect the Stark boys to be split up, so nothing there. Jon's scene was rushed. The who thing with him and the Halfhand was D.A.B. I'm still pissed about Ghost too. I don't know why they already showed Littlefinger as Sanas savor, but T.V. wise I guess it works. Tyrion's scene with Shae was Emmy worthy. His breakdown looked 100% real, unlike his scar...they better make that look better next season. Not noseless, I fully understand you can't do that, but how about make it look like it wont fall from his face if he turn's his head too fast. I liked the look of the Others better last season, but if we're going to be getting full views of them, you kinda have to lay the makeup on a bit differently. The CGI dead zombie folks looked great though.

As for the season as a whole, I'd give it a strong eight where last years was a outstanding ten. A Clash of Kings is a developing story, and probably the weakest of the series, but I was let down in someways regardless. Mainly because of Dany, who is my favorite in the book. If they fuck her Storm of Swords story up like they did this year...boy are they in trouble. She easily has the most interesting development in that story.

Edited by Died a Hero

Really the only thing that stopped this from being a ten was the house of the undying, but let's be honest, they've fucked Dany up so much this season, was anyone expecting anything less? I even liked her walking out of the Throne room to the other side of the wall, considering that's where her real war will be, but the way she was chained and killed Pyat Pree was just...I'm convinced D&D are part of the crew that hate Dany and are trying as hard as they can to make the T.V. folk do the same.

Anyway, on with the highs. I loved Stannis's scene. And for anyone who says it was out of character, just remember what we are told about his mind set during the first half of SOS. Theon's speech was great. So was his anger for the horn blower. I knew they were just going to let his men betray him, so it didn't bother me that we didn't get to see the Bastard of Bolton. (Not bastard, never bastard! You mustn't call him that!) The horse shitting made me laugh, just because so many diehards on this board argued they wanted to see it. The whole scene in the throne room was by the book, so that was great. I loved seeing the face change. For a second I thought they wouldn't show it. Without little grandfather I didn't expect the Stark boys to be split up, so nothing there. Jon's scene was rushed. The who thing with him and the Halfhand was D.A.B. I'm still pissed about Ghost too. I don't know why they already showed Littlefinger as Sanas savor, but T.V. wise I guess it works. Tyrion's scene with Shae was Emmy worthy. His breakdown looked 100% real, unlike his scar...they better make that look better next season. Not noseless, I fully understand you can't do that, but how about make it look like it wont fall from his face if he turn's his head too fast. I liked the look of the Others better last season, but if we're going to be getting full views of them, you kinda have to lay the makeup on a bit differently. The CGI dead zombie folks looked great though.

As for the season as a whole, I'd give it a strong eight where last years was a outstanding ten. A Clash of Kings is a developing story, and probably the weakest of the series, but I was let down in someways regardless. Mainly because of Dany, who is my favorite in the book. If they fuck her Storm of Swords story up like they did this year...boy are they in trouble. She easily the most interesting in that story.

Have to agree with this most of stuff was good dany stuff this sesason was just meh... She was so good in s1 i dont think its actor they are just doing her story badly.

8. It wasn't bad, and many of the characters had good stopping points. However, the House of the Undying and the storyline in Qarth was lacking. I wanted a lot more from the HotU, especially the prophecies.

I'm glad, however, that the White Walkers have been changed to be...y'know white.

Edited by Lord Godric

I think expecting the translation of a huge literary work to TV (or movie) to be completely faithful to the book is unrealistic. I think if one keeps that in mind and appreciates the work for 'what it is' rather than for 'what it should be' viewing is much more enjoyable overall. I find that many of the critics of the show are probably bitter because it seems they are doing a constant 'compare and contrast' in their heads, rather than just enjoying the show for its' entertainment factor. I give the episode a 9.

7. Barely, but very poor indeed. Arya Theon Sansa and Sam were ok rest was shite. It felt like an eternity of whores taking more screen time yet not even 30 seconds could be spared for Sir Bronn. Dany was just bolocks but that was expected and Jon there were four instances where the plastic swords were too fucking obvious, not during the fight.

Gave it an 8. Not as happy as I hoped to be... I really expected more of the House of the undying...

The scene of Sansa being relieved from the wedding was perfect. Tyrion with Shae was lovely and, as a book reader... well, I should't comment on that! Still, lovely!

I'm not in love with all the changes within Arya's storyline... also, did Jaqen say the deaths were to the Red God in the books too? :/ because it does not fit with other stuff...I've read Clash of Kings last year and after reading all the others so fast, I think I end up forgetting some details...

There were many things I really enjoyed, thing I didn't care much about (I was completely ok with the change on how Winterfell burned, I thought it was a good way of gaining time...) and things I got quite disappointed with...

Overall, though, I just can't wait for season 3.

I felt like, despite the departures from the books, it was solid TV. Except for the Jon storyline which was completely mishandled this season imo. The other departures I didn't feel altered character development quite as much.

Regardless, I enjoyed the episode.

As for the House of the Undying:

Does the snow on the throne represent Jon? Was Dany then shunning the throne to go beyond the wall and find her family in death? Did they just spoil the entire series?

The brienne scene was absolutely brilliant. Enjoyed the majority of the episode besides that whole Robb and Talisa secret wedding. The House of the Undying was pretty decent, Drogo!! But i thought we would of seen the actually Undying instead of just pyat pree roasted by dragon fire. The Jon/Qhorin scene could of been alot better in my opinion, one of my favorite parts of the book but not that great in the show. Overall it was a decent ending to the season. Now we play the waiting game till Season 3.

Am left curious as to the motivation for Halfhand picking a fight with Jon. And does tv Jon just kill him because Halfhand attacked him and called his mother a whore?

Who burned Winterfell, and why, if there were no defenders?

Otherwise, enjoyed Ros and Varys, Valar Morghulis, and Brienne and Jamie. It was really sweet of Dany to throw Pyat Pree a barbeque after everything he put her through.

Who burned Winterfell, and why, if there were no defenders?

Because that's what it says to do in the Medieval Warfare 101 textbook, under the heading "How to Sack a City/Castle." You either occupy it or do your best to destroy it to deny it to others. It doesn't matter that there were no defenders -- you round-up the populace, take everything of value that can be carried, then either murder everybody outright or march them off toork your fields, kitchens, etc.. Peasants, sadly, were treated as chattel, one step above outright slaves.

It's pretty obvious to me Ramsey's men did the sacking, either after letting the Ironborn besides Theon go free (as Robb commanded), or, more likely, double-crossing them after they opened the gates to surrender. I guess the Ironborn could have done it as a departing F U, but then where are Ramsey's 500 men who were previously besieging them? I think Ramsey did it with the intent that it be blamed on the Ironborn.

I gave this episode a 9, mostly because I have largely separated book and show in my mind into 2 separate entities; not totally, mind you -- they still have to bring the story to the same place, but if they go a slightly different route to get there, I'm fine with that. The fact is that, as much as we book lovers b!tch about every little change, that criticism simply has no bearing on the average TV viewer. Media buzz, ratings, and critical assessments are all still very positive.

Edited by J_Crews

Despite some grievances, I really loved the episode, especially the ending, so it's a 10 for me. I had already heard Rhaegar was gone and all the HotU stuff was original (and was disappointed but I honestly didn't expect anything less since how the season's been going so far), so I was wondering what they were going to put in place of it, and besides the last bit with Dany and the dragons, I did love the other segments with the Wall (it was really amazing seeing Dany actually walk there) and Throne room. I was a bit surprised to see Drogo again but thought that scene actually worked rather well. It was also great to finally see a White Walker -- loved the look, the ice spear, the slowly approaching hoard (setting up for the battle next season, which hopefully we'll get to see); the CGI there was fantastic.

I didn't at all like Jon's story this season. They completely blew it by having him captured and dragged along like an idiot. His fight with Qhorin was decent though, as was the last shot of the valley with the Wildings. I was severely disappointed Arya didn't kill anyone but Jaqen's fairwell was as good as I hoped it'd be. I was really satisfied with Theon this season and this last episode was another highlight for him. Great episode overall.

Edited by ManyFacedOne

Rated it a eight. Wasn't too bad, glad that HoTU was cut down as that was probably one of the worst scenes in CoK. The scene with Dany in the throne room is very interesting.

What? Really? I loved that scene in the book. I'm just sorry it wasn't verbatim. Still it was quite good. All the hate around here, too. I enjoyed that episode more than any other this season. Yes, I've read the books, too. I'll give it a 9 but I don't know what kind of rating system is going on when the show can get an 8 and still "suck". The only thing this season, if I had one wish, I'd add would have been the Quorin/Jon adventure. It kind of portrays Jon as a whining screw up, and I would have liked him and halfhand to have had their exchange in the cave.