How would you rate episode 210?

Ran

How would you rate episode 210?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I love it how people say fans who read the books are playing "Spot the difference". That isn't it at all. What I wonder, as I see all the very drastic changes from the literary work is...how much damage are they doing to the future story? What I mean is that The Song is not complete, the last two (?) books are not yet complete (or if they are, not released) so how do the writers know they aren't painting themselves into a corner. so to speak?

Don't get me wrong, I completely expected GoT to change some things for TV storytelling sake...but I felt that the changes made in VM were so broad it'll become something not even close to aSoIaF.

And even MORE worrying, IMO is will the TV series affect the way GRRM completes the saga?

I do not expect the TV show to follow the book religiously. Was happy that the integrity of characters and their core was preserved (with the exception of Shae, who is much more simple in the book), however, was still frustrating to see your favorite scenes from the book being mercilessly modified.

HotU scene was unexpected, but interesting. The snow, the other side of the wall and khal maybe too much of a hint of what hasn't been written yet (it is clear that her war is beyond the wall, but how Drogo plays into it...). Still where is the prophecy??? It is a foundation for the entire Dany's storyline.

Not sure what is the point of introducing two interesting women in addition to books - Rob's wife and Varis's whore... I guess the first explains better the motivations behind Rob's wedding, since if just show Jane from the book, Rob and his feelings might seem lame on the screen. The second might help set up the future with a visible Varis's spy...

Blackwater was the best episode, by far - focused, emotional, true to characters. The last one - just wrapping all the lines... Slightly disappointing.

VERY afraid of what they are going to do with book 3, it is my favorite by far...

But what was the rationale for Jeyne Westerling? Wasn't it really just love there as well?

No, it wasn't.

At least they gave this woman enough screentime

They could have given screen time to Jeyne Westerling and her "comforting" of Robb as well. That isn't the issue.

and appeal (the avoiding slavery/helping people was a nice touch) that you could see how Robb might fall for her.

Nice touch? Maybe for those who like anachronistic, out of place spunk... personally I thought her sob story was cliched and eye-rollingly lame.

I love it how people say fans who read the books are playing "Spot the difference". That isn't it at all. What I wonder, as I see all the very drastic changes from the literary work is...how much damage are they doing to the future story? What I mean is that The Song is not complete, the last two (?) books are not yet complete (or if they are, not released) so how do the writers know they aren't painting themselves into a corner. so to speak?

Don't get me wrong, I completely expected GoT to change some things for TV storytelling sake...but I felt that the changes made in VM were so broad it'll become something not even close to aSoIaF.

And even MORE worrying, IMO is will the TV series affect the way GRRM completes the saga?

Martin has said that the producers know where the story is going, and roughly how it'll end in an interview...in case anything should happen to him he said, lol. Martin is a consult on the show too, it's not like he doesn't have a say in it. He's written an episode per season thus far. As far as I know the only affect the show has had on Martin is that he said Osha is much more interesting on the show so he may write more compelling sequences with her in the future.

Watched it a few times now, and the things I liked on the first watch, I still like, the things I disliked, I still dislike.

It's not like the acting was ever bad, but it has only improved through the season. I don't know what the criteria are for nominations, but there are needs to be one for "ensemble badassery". It's like watching a game between two very talented teams - many times teams play to the level of their opponent. The same is true here - there are a number of exceptionally talented actresses and actors individually on this series, but put them in scenes together and the product is by far greater than the sum of the parts.

Jaqen & Arya - the tweak in his saying she can have revenge is weird, but how they operate against each other is fantastic. The face switch at the end...perfect.

Joffrey/Tywin/LF - Joffrey's arrogance after his "there's too many" was perfect, Tywin owning the throne room even before he was named Hand and Petyrs little comments. Varys' look at him was great. Again, the issue I had was when they continued and LF bared his soul to Sansa...doesn't make sense, but we'll see.

HotU - Dany's journey through was well portrayed, the chains disappearing when Pree died was interesting.

The Shambling horde - loved how they had them come out of the frost, the 2nd WW raising the sword and it just glowed as ice.

Stannis/Mel - have not been a fan of how they have portrayed this relationship or what they have done, but they ended it very well.

Theon - Allen did an amazing job this season.

Dislikes:

HotU - it was very much less than it could have or should have been. The visions given in the book do not have to be shown verbatim, but there are many ways to show Robb in danger from the Freys. The House of the Undying...is one warlock?

Jon/Quorin/Wildlings - for me, losing out on Squire Dalbridge had an impact - it was a great contrast to Jon's running away for his half brothers that Dalbridge would make a stand for his black brothers. Halfhand in the ends looks like just some other NW brother, there was nothing he did that made him stand out. And I think the fact that Halfhand did not order him to turn his cloak is not a small detail.

Robb's courtship/wedding - I don't care that he was married under the 7, they are his mother's gods, so fine. However they make him out to be no better than Joffrey in the "spoiled brat, I do what i want to" Kingship.

Brienne/Jaime - the thing I still don't like about Brienne's situation is that no one is questioning how Renly died. The last people to see him alive walked into Robb's camp and no one said anything. Kingslanding hears about Renly's death, and no one makes comment that Catelyn & Brienne ran?

Pycelle - so Pycelle opens up to Tyrion that he is not feeble at all? Why? That makes 0 sense since Pycelle is still portaying the doffering old man to the court. Tyrion may no longer be Hand, but he's not dead.

Sam/WW/horde - I'm sure Sam lives, but quite the hamfisted cliff hanger. They have no problem showing the size of this force, why not have the NW see it from the top of the Fist and show just how much trouble they are in? As it stands now, this is like the Craster/Jon cliffhanger - no reason for him to live except plot armor.

Winterfell - So Luwin is just about dead, but drags himself to the heart tree? The burning of WF just felt forced based on what we're given. Funny thing is, I have seen people complaining that Bran was in a wheelbarrow - to me that makes more sense than Hodor carrying him. They try to gather up what they can for food and supplies, why not use something like that until they are in a place they can no longer use it.

Great TV? Yes, but even then there are some holes. Great adaption? No, they whiffed on what I think are some important parts of the story.

Gave it a 6. It made for fairly entertaining TV, but nothing special and I'm still getting frustrated at the changes from the books for no reason. I did like the scene at the end, but for the rest of the arcs there was little sense of climax. Mainly:

• The HOTU was pretty atmospheric, but Dany learnt nothing from it. In the books it's a major pillar of her development, she obsesses over what she sees and hears in there. Jason Momoa's sallary for that scene could probably have paid for some more visions, and I can't see why they left out the three fires prophecy.
  • Jon's fight with Qhorin lacked the emotion it had in the books, due to them cutting their relationship in favour of more Rose Leslie and I don't think the reason for the fight was made clear enough.
  • Winterfell has been amazing this season, but in the finale it was botched. Bran and co. emerging from the crypts didn't have the impact it should have due to the pointless, earlier reveal that he was alive and all the heavy handed hinting before that. The Sacking of Winterfell fell flat and would be confusing for non-readers and ending Theon's arc with comedy was atrocious.

Those were the three main arc conclusions I didn't like. The stuff at KL and Robb's camp wasn't exactly climactic either but nor was it in the books, and it wouldn't have needed to be if we'd gotten some other climactic events in the episode.

Also despite being the longest episode this season it felt like one of the shortest. Would've been good if Tywin had more than one line for instance. Instead we get more screentime for Ros.

Overall a dissapointing season for book fans, but with a small glimmer of hope for Season 3 due to more episodes to adapt the story.

Really the only thing that stopped this from being a ten was the house of the undying, but let's be honest, they've fucked Dany up so much this season, was anyone expecting anything less? I even liked her walking out of the Throne room to the other side of the wall, considering that's where her real war will be, but the way she was chained and killed Pyat Pree was just...I'm convinced D&D are part of the crew that hate Dany and are trying as hard as they can to make the T.V. folk do the same.

Anyway, on with the highs. I loved Stannis's scene. And for anyone who says it was out of character, just remember what we are told about his mind set during the first half of SOS. Theon's speech was great. So was his anger for the horn blower. I knew they were just going to let his men betray him, so it didn't bother me that we didn't get to see the Bastard of Bolton. (Not bastard, never bastard! You mustn't call him that!) The horse shitting made me laugh, just because so many diehards on this board argued they wanted to see it. The whole scene in the throne room was by the book, so that was great. I loved seeing the face change. For a second I thought they wouldn't show it. Without little grandfather I didn't expect the Stark boys to be split up, so nothing there. Jon's scene was rushed. The who thing with him and the Halfhand was D.A.B. I'm still pissed about Ghost too. I don't know why they already showed Littlefinger as Sanas savor, but T.V. wise I guess it works. Tyrion's scene with Shae was Emmy worthy. His breakdown looked 100% real, unlike his scar...they better make that look better next season. Not noseless, I fully understand you can't do that, but how about make it look like it wont fall from his face if he turn's his head too fast. I liked the look of the Others better last season, but if we're going to be getting full views of them, you kinda have to lay the makeup on a bit differently. The CGI dead zombie folks looked great though.

As for the season as a whole, I'd give it a strong eight where last years was a outstanding ten. A Clash of Kings is a developing story, and probably the weakest of the series, but I was let down in someways regardless. Mainly because of Dany, who is my favorite in the book. If they fuck her Storm of Swords story up like they did this year...boy are they in trouble. She easily has the most interesting development in that story.

couldn't agree more funnily enough - the story changes have been controversial among the lads I know; but I try to remain indifferent form it, especially if it works.. kinda.

And yes... if they so much as even touch a hair on dany's story in the 3rd book I will be super mad :P

Dany's storyline in book 3 was great. It contains one of, if not my all time favorite moment. After the transaction she rides up and down the ranks of the Unsullied telling them they are hers as the slaver tries to yank Drogon up the stairs and asks why he won't obey, "That's because he's not a slave. Dracarys!" Oh my GOD that was amazing.

But I think the show took a lot of the punch out of that scene by having her basically do that in the HotU. I like the whole HotU scene as a whole, and as a non book reader would have loved the ending as well. But knowing that scene in Storm, that's all I could think about.

Anyway, I think on the whole, Storm will be adapted far more faithfully than Clash simply by them having 20 hours to tell the story, not 10. So, I'm confident everything that got pushed out of Clash will be done justice in seasons 3 and 4. I also think Feast will start to bleed into season 4 a bit. I think the chronology of book to season will get real messy with season 4, certainly 5.

Anyway, I think on the whole, Storm will be adapted far more faithfully than Clash simply by them having 20 hours to tell the story, not 10. So, I'm confident everything that got pushed out of Clash will be done justice in seasons 3 and 4. I also think Feast will start to bleed into season 4 a bit. I think the chronology of book to season will get real messy with season 4, certainly 5.

I'm pretty psyched that SoS will be split, because it's such a big book and SO much happens. I think that "Feast" and "Dance" will be combined for the show, as the timelines overlap. It will be interesting to see how many "show seasons" they get out of Feast/Dance, given the (IMHO) large amount of downtime in Feast. (Lots of walking from place to place, etc.)

What'd you think?

Best show on Television along with Boardwalk Empire, Dexter and Homeland . .

Here

1. I enjoyed the Queen Dany scenes, they were good.

2. I liked the Zombie Apocalypse army at the end led by the White Walkers/Others

3. I didn't like Robb's wedding to gods he doesn't believe in . . I thought they screwed the pooch with Robb this year.

4. The Winterfell destruction is a mystery as they have changed the reasons and causes for things on the show.

5. Jon's story was the weakest and the worst adapted this year, but has potential for next season.

6. Good to see King's Landing and I loved Shae's acting toward the end of the episode.

Setting up for seasons 3 and 4 of Storm of Swords/Feast

Dany's storyline in book 3 was great. It contains one of, if not my all time favorite moment. After the transaction she rides up and down the ranks of the Unsullied telling them they are hers as the slaver tries to yank Drogon up the stairs and asks why he won't obey, "That's because he's not a slave. Dracarys!" Oh my GOD that was amazing.

But I think the show took a lot of the punch out of that scene by having her basically do that in the HotU. I like the whole HotU scene as a whole, and as a non book reader would have loved the ending as well. But knowing that scene in Storm, that's all I could think about.

I agree . . from now on we will see more a blended time line with some events pushed back and some moved forward . ... it is D and D's baby totally now.